Thread: NES Game trouble

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy NES Game trouble

Hello I'm retrodoctor I recently started playing retro games I opted for a retro duo over the original systems due to price. However my problem I have is some of my NES games (1943,Super Mario Bros, warriors and wizards and robo warrior) I bought them used from a game store Mario and 1943 work however between stages the game goes out and I loose sound and video for a few seconds. Wizards and warriors the same but gives out occasionally. I play other nes games fine like N.A.R.C and double dragon but those are giving me trouble is this caused by the game or system?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retrodoctor View Post
    Hello I'm retrodoctor I recently started playing retro games I opted for a retro duo over the original systems due to price. However my problem I have is some of my NES games (1943,Super Mario Bros, warriors and wizards and robo warrior) I bought them used from a game store Mario and 1943 work however between stages the game goes out and I loose sound and video for a few seconds. Wizards and warriors the same but gives out occasionally. I play other nes games fine like N.A.R.C and double dragon but those are giving me trouble is this caused by the game or system?
    More than likely it is the system causing the problem.. Did you make sure you clean your carts?

Also, I don't think original hardware costs that much. The retro duo is 41 dollars shipped on amazon.. I sold a NES side loader I refurb for 50 bucks shipped with zero yellowing complete with a controller, power, rf connector and SMB game.

Id just pay the 10 or 20 dollars more for a NES side loader with disabled lockout chip then you wont have any problems.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic View Post
    More than likely it is the system causing the problem.. Did you make sure you clean your carts?

Also, I don't think original hardware costs that much. The retro duo is 41 dollars shipped on amazon.. I sold a NES side loader I refurb for 50 bucks shipped with zero yellowing complete with a controller, power, rf connector and SMB game.

Id just pay the 10 or 20 dollars more for a NES side loader with disabled lockout chip then you wont have any problems.
    I plan on testing them on an actual nes I did clean the carts but like I said some nes games work fine

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

The great thing about NES carts is that they rarely are broken and dont work (considering the contacts have been cleaned). And I mean rarely. Over the years I might have come across less than 5 broken/non-functional carts out of thousands. 2 of the were both Bubble Bobble and the chips were really worn down.
    If you are losing sound and video during gameplay its gotta be the system. This type of thing typically doesnt happen to nes carts. When nes carts freeze during gameplay its due to a lost connection, which is due to worn out or dirty pin connectors in the system. That being said, if you get yourself an original nes with original pin connector in decent condition you will have very little trouble getting the games to work.

Awhile back I had one of these retro duo 3rd party-type nes systems, I got it in a video game lot on Craigslist. It was pretty poor in terms of quality, some games just wouldnt work. I think I ended up just throwing it away. If your serious about playing/collecting nes games theres no point in messing around with the 3rd party junk.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 07-09-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

get the original console. they are cheap. I've seen SNESs at flea martkets and such for like 30 bucks and about the same for the front load NES. You'll rule out hardware because the retro duos do have some compatibility issues.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    get the original console. they are cheap. I've seen SNESs at flea martkets and such for like 30 bucks and about the same for the front load NES. You'll rule out hardware because the retro duos do have some compatibility issues.
    All the ones sold at flea markets as working are usually not working.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NOAC systems like Retro Duo are advertised as not working on 100% of NES game carts. Original hardware is guaranteed to work with 100% of NES game carts. Problem solved...