Thread: Atari 400/800 Cassette Game - Dodge Racer w/ Box - Any idea on value or rarity? *Pics*

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari 400/800 Cassette Game - Dodge Racer w/ Box - Any idea on value or rarity? *Pics*

Hey guys. I own a small video game store and we have had this item for some time. It's an old Atari 400/800 tape drive game, Dodgeracer. I listed it on eBay yesterday and it sold today for $49.99. I had no info, no previous auctions for this and it so I just guessed on the price.

I haven't shipped because I am worried that this could be an ultra rare title that might be worth more than I sold it for. Can anyone provide any info? I have attached a link to the sold item on eBay.

Thanks,

Wyatt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=161063448732
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	atari400dodgeracer.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	6886  

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

so instead doing research ahead of time and honoring the final bid price, your doing your research afterwards and may possibly pull the plug on the $50 sale price.

good ebayer right there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd honor the sale price and make points with the members on here. Not really a fan of those who pull sales afterwards due to feeling they got robbed.Research should be done before selling.
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

Currently in the market for :

+ Atari 8 bit game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
    + Atari 8 Bit Prototype and Demo cartridges
    + Atari 8 bit manuals and boxes

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my
    Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at http://www.a8museum.com
    Atari 8-Bit Museum on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/392317377550512/
    And on Ebay under the handle ThePaperVault

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GamerTheGreek View Post
    I'd honor the sale price and make points with the members on here. Not really a fan of those who pull sales afterwards due to feeling they got robbed.Research should be done before selling.
    This isn't really how I thought this would go.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt8 View Post
    This isn't really how I thought this would go.
    You assumed we'd help you commit breach of contract and otherwise deprive someone of something they purchased from you fair and square? Maybe it's time for you to depart our community for good.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Through some searches I could only find the manual which sold for around $11 a few years ago. Your copy isn't complete and you haven't even tested it to know if it's working, the box is pretty beat up too. Plus you've already sold it, I don't really see much reason to cancel that. It does seem pretty rare but that doesn't mean that it's valuable by default, as I said the manual sold for around $11 just a couple years ago.

I don't get why you mentioned so many unnecessary details with this, you could have just asked about the value without saying anything else.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Through some searches I could only find the manual which sold for around $11 a few years ago. Your copy isn't complete and you haven't even tested it to know if it's working, the box is pretty beat up too. Plus you've already sold it, I don't really see much reason to cancel that. It does seem pretty rare but that doesn't mean that it's valuable by default, as I said the manual sold for around $11 just a couple years ago.

I don't get why you mentioned so many unnecessary details with this, you could have just asked about the value without saying anything else.
    I was thinking the same thing. I guess I just wanted to be honest about what my intentions were. For future reference, I will remember to be less forthcoming.

When I was listing it last night I couldn't find anything about it anywhere except some roms and screenshots. Typically I'm a responsible seller but I should have just waited it out to see if I could have collected more info first.

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

Wyatt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    You assumed we'd help you commit breach of contract and otherwise deprive someone of something they purchased from you fair and square? Maybe it's time for you to depart our community for good.
    The one thing I need to keep in mind is that you didnt back out of the sale ( that anyone knows of at this time) . People including I would be willing to help you and anyone in advance no problem. I personally love dealing with just about anything Atari 8 bit computer related. Im a geek that way.

The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the way it sounded like you were contemplating backing out of the deal if you found out it was worth more. Ive been known to sell a few items way to cheap from time to time. I kick myself for doing so but learned for the future.

I think this seller could still earn points ( with me at least ) in knowing that even if he finds out if this is a rare item that he goes ahead with the $50.00 deal in good faith. What little you might loose on that one deal you will make up for potentially here in that you are a man of your word and honor deals when it works out well or not well for you.

I dont think this means he should leave our community for good. I think if he honors the deal Id consider buying from him in knowing that if I bid and win the deal will go without a hitch. That is my feelings on it.
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GamerTheGreek View Post
    The one thing I need to keep in mind is that you didnt back out of the sale ( that anyone knows of at this time) . People including I would be willing to help you and anyone in advance no problem. I personally love dealing with just about anything Atari 8 bit computer related. Im a geek that way.

The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the way it sounded like you were contemplating backing out of the deal if you found out it was worth more. Ive been known to sell a few items way to cheap from time to time. I kick myself for doing so but learned for the future.

I think this seller could still earn points ( with me at least ) in knowing that even if he finds out if this is a rare item that he goes ahead with the $50.00 deal in good faith. What little you might loose on that one deal you will make up for potentially here in that you are a man of your word and honor deals when it works out well or not well for you.

I dont think this means he should leave our community for good. I think if he honors the deal Id consider buying from him in knowing that if I bid and win the deal will go without a hitch. That is my feelings on it.
    While I agree with you to some extent, I am very troubled by his statement "I haven't shipped because I am worried that this could be an ultra rare title that might be worth more than I sold it for. " Frankly, he is a retailer and he should understand that selling on Ebay is a binding contract. He doesn't get to check a price after the fact and change his mind. The fact that he just expected all of us to provide him the value of the item and support his cancellation of the sale is also troubling.

The sale should have not been impacted in any way by what the actual value was. He made a deal and he should stick to it, regardless of whether or not he could have made some additional money. I would never deal with someone who would even contemplate cancelling a sale because that's not the honest and respectable way to conduct things. If I make a mistake, I honor the mistake even if it costs me money. There shouldn't even be any debate on this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Frankly, tape based games, no matter how rare they are, generally don't sell for much. They just aren't as desirable as cart games. I'm surprised someone actually did a BIN for $50.

I'll echo that I'm also disappointed that the OP honestly thought his potential ebay shenanigans would go over well among a collector group like this.

Would be funny if the buyer frequented this board or another like Atariage and found about this thread. He might be justifiably livid and the sellers feedback should strongly reflect it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is troubling but if he honors the binding contract I might consider doing business with him.

Check out my