Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you still play old video game systems on a CRT TV?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Tube amps aren't obsolete, though...

Any LCD with a VGA plug (31KHz signal, same as the XRGB2 output) should support that resolution, though.

Personally I'd love some new display tech that either had fast enough processing to do away with scaling lag, and high enough resolution that it could emulate scanlines, or which didn't have fixed pixels at all (same as CRT) and which had some kind of compatibility with raster scan-type signals.

Yeah, true, but the only 4:3 LCD's out there, were made specifically with PC use in mind, for the most part. I've tried hooking a XRGB2+ to various LCD computer monitors, and it just didn't look right. I'm not saying it looked really bad, but it didn't look quite right. There are also early 4:3 lcd TV's that were standard definition, but again, the LCD quality just wasn't very good back then.

If only you could find a modern day lcd display, with the quality of modern lcd technology of 2013, that had a 4:3 aspect ratio. Unfortunately, I don't know of any. I'm sure there is something out there that could be had, but I'm guessing it would be made for the commercial industry (not consumer use), and would be unbelievably expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, I'm still using my 24" Sony WEGA Trinitron I purchased brand new back in 2004. It's remarkable how crisp games look on that thing, even over composite. Playing SD consoles on an HD display absolutely destroys my enjoyment of older consoles, especially in any timing based game.

On a slightly different note, I actually don't own any sort of standalone flat panel display at this point. All my HD consoles are connected to an HD CRT, and my PC is connected to an old HP CRT that still produces a vibrant picture. I don't see any reason to throw out perfectly fine displays simply because they don't look trendy.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default That classic look

Yep!

Mainly because that's how I remember them. I like the slight fuzz factor and the amped colors on the CRT (that and the effect of the scanlines on the pixels).

Up until recently, the lead singer of the band I'm in would only play 8-bit games on a CRT.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I have a 21" for gaming, a 19" rotated for vertical shooters, and a 27" connected to my HTPC for old 4/3 stuff that looks like shite on the 50" flastscreen, which I generally only use for HD stuff or movies.
    Sweet! Now THAT's how it's done.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I game exclusively on CRTs no matter the age of the console. Retro systems are hooked up to a 27" Electrohome 27E510 CRT with every signal it supports (RF, Composite, S-Video and Component) and newer hardware from the 6th generation and up (save for the GameCube which is hooked up to the 27E510) are hooked up to a 30" Sony KV-30HS420 CRT HDTV via Component or HDMI (no 1080p, but this TV doesn't need it). Even retro consoles look quite good on this TV using a video signal as crappy as Composite (RF is the only signal that looks bad on this TV). This setup beats out any LCD TV I've ever used, and quite frankly, if I were to keep only one of these TVs and hook up everything I own to the TV in question, it'd be the KV-30HS420. This TV has 8 video inputs: 1 RF, 1 Composite, 3 shared S-Video/Composite, 2 Component with 240p support and 1 HDMI up to 1080i, so you can hook up a large quantity of consoles to this thing.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Absolutely! I have a 32" CRT right next to my 46" HDTV. In between the 2 TV's I have the classic video game consoles like Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision et cetra. On the HDTV stand I have the more modern consoles. It's all nice, neat and organized but I would not have it any other way. I play the consoles on the TV they were meant to be played on.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, despite what everyone says I like the look of the HD TV better. I've fired them up side by side and it looks better to me. Then again My tvs for old consoles are smaller so that may be part of it. There's just too much advantage to an HD TV and the things I can plug into it for me to switch to CRT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to have a 25" CRT TV for playing SNES, but it died last year. I've used my smaller HDTV since then. It doesn't look terrible, as it is set to keep the proper aspect ratio for both NTSC and PAL signals, but there is some lag between what is happening on the screen and when you press buttons. For most games, it isn't bad, but on something like Super Mario Kart, it is noticeable. I'd try to find another CRT, but in all honesty they take up so much room, and I live in a pretty small apartment.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My PC monitor takes composite and s-video for a couple of years I had my S-NES and NES into it, then YPbPr-modded Genesis into a scaler. Looked OK. Moved house, got two new TVs - 720p plasma and 1080p LCD. Genesis on YPbPr looks like SHIT (very saturated colors, just looks wrong). Even the Wii looks kind of lacklustre over YPbPr on 420p; I have to adjust the picture to be as neutral as I can get it. Standard Definition just doesn't look great on these TVs, unless I'm doing something wrong..

Got 2004 Toshiba CRT for $20, composite, S-video, and YPbPr, put in corner of basement, NES, SNES, Genesis look awesome. Before I got the CRT, I honestly was ready to get rid of everything.