Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Classic gaming over modern gaming? What's you're stance? Video included.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find modern games to be boring because they lack challenge, there is no penalty for failure, and they're designed to consume as much of my time as possible. I don't play games to kill time, I play them to have fun. Walking around huge environments while collecting hidden items, and completing a list of chores, and watching cutscenes is not an enjoyable experience to me. Also, without challenge or a penalty for failure, there is no excitement. Classic games get my heart pounding and the sweat rolling down my face; they make me feel alive. Modern games, on the other hand, make me feel like a mindless zombie.
    Last edited by chilimac; 07-16-2013 at 10:17 AM.

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

Quote Originally Posted by chilimac View Post
    Classic games get my heart pounding and the sweat rolling down my face; they make me feel alive. Modern games, on the other hand, make me feel like a mindless zombie.
    I think this might be a result of the modern games you've decided to play, rather than modern gaming as a whole

There are an overwhelming amount of awful modern games, but that's not to say that there aren't awesome games that toss you around too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FFStudios View Post
    I think this might be a result of the modern games you've decided to play, rather than modern gaming as a whole

There are an overwhelming amount of awful modern games, but that's not to say that there aren't awesome games that toss you around too.
    I've played just about every noteworthy game on the PS3/360 and, if you exclude XBLA/PSN games and import shmups, I can count on one hand the games that were challenging. That's not enough to make buying the new consoles worthwhile, which is why I now play classic games only.

The sun hurts my HP
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Submissive421

I play what I feel like playing on a certain day. One day I feel like playing an awesome game from my childhood like Donkey Kong Country 2, so I plug my system up and play. Then on other days I feel like playing co-op with my boyfriend so we pop in Borderlands 2.

I will say that I'm more drawn to retro games because they tie in with nostalgia and the awesome times I had as a kid. I feel like the older games are better then today's modern titles. I'm not making as many memories of being completely drawn into all of the titles of today. I won't say that they are terrible but it just seems like their isn't as much heart put into games today. They don't really stay with me and I easily forget what happened in a game after I stopped playing it after a month or so.

Of course with retro games, I can still remember every nook and cranny in the older games and where everything is hidden. The awesome times when I was going crazy around Christmas time and opening up my Nintendo 64 and playing the loving crap out of it. I don't feel that way anymore opening new systems and that's sad.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've played hundreds of modern games and possibly thousands of classic video games.

I still play both classic and modern. However, I find that the classic ones offer many more types of gameplay. The modern games seem to fall into maybe ten different styles of gameplay (racing, FPS, shooting, dance/music, fighting, RPG, etc...). The classic games encompass at least 30 totally different styles or approaches to gameplay. At least it seems to be that way. Plus I like how convenient it is to play a quick session of a classic game and then put it away as opposed to a major gaming time-investment for a modern one. Oh, and I dig the fact that most classic games have an elegant and straight-forward control system. Amazing that one button and eight directions can still be fun.

Again, I like both classic and modern.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    I respect that others feel the need to choose one over the other, but respect them more when they keep their reasoning pretty much to themselves.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that a thread asking for our stance, or why we choose one or the other, is why people are posting their reasoning behind their choice. Surprised you read this thread if you don't want to hear said reasoning's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    If you feel the need to justify your choice to me for some reason then maybe you should examine why you feel that need instead of boring me with the same old arguments. It's not like the reasoning ever changes.
    I think that, if the reasoning is consistent, then perhaps that's a good sign. Maybe there's something archetypal about certain kinds of gaming. If someone were to ask 100 people who enjoyed hiking why they liked going on hikes, I wouldn't be surprised if I heard most of them say something like, "I like the scenery, the fresh air, getting away from the fast pace of day-to-day life, the sense of peace, and the exercise." I figure they're just being honest about how they perceive things and that it shouldn't be surprising if many people pick up on the same types of things.

Personally, I think the observations that come out of discussions (or debates) like these can be helpful to developers. Just because people develop games doesn't mean they know everything about games or are 'tapped' into what people want. It's almost like market research, but without the various levels of data processing and investment-driven interests that tend to deviate from what many people actually want in their entertainment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heres my stance.

I played fallout new vegas again recently, 30 min in the enemies are stuck in the floor and trees. I think nothing of it. Later the VATS system freezes and i just stand there while enemies wail away at me. Ok no problem, i handle the enemies without VATS then check my pip boy for more quests. The screen on the pip boy is blank and bright green. I reload the game and it freezes.....alot.

OK so next game! Maybe ill play skyrim. Game loads up and i have a million updates so i make a sandwich in the meantime. My game loads and one of my quest characters will not talk to me due to some kinda bug....

Eff this! I Turn on my Saturn and play Albert Odyssey. Game loads just fine no bugs....i play for hours uninterrupted.

Then i play some super star soldier on pce. No problems.

Thats my stance on classic vs modern gaming.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    Heres my stance.

I played fallout new vegas again recently, 30 min in the enemies are stuck in the floor and trees. I think nothing of it. Later the VATS system freezes and i just stand there while enemies wail away at me. Ok no problem, i handle the enemies without VATS then check my pip boy for more quests. The screen on the pip boy is blank and bright green. I reload the game and it freezes.....alot.

OK so next game! Maybe ill play skyrim. Game loads up and i have a million updates so i make a sandwich in the meantime. My game loads and one of my quest characters will not talk to me due to some kinda bug....

Eff this! I Turn on my Saturn and play Albert Odyssey. Game loads just fine no bugs....i play for hours uninterrupted.

Then i play some super star soldier on pce. No problems.

Thats my stance on classic vs modern gaming.
    I don't know, I have plenty of glitchy and downright broken games on a variety of classic platforms. You're correct though that because of the complexity of modern games in many cases, the chances of glitches and bugs slipping through the cracks is probably greater. Having said that, I don't think that necessarily makes classic games better than modern as there are some types of experiences that just can't be done justice on limited hardware or limited memory or limited storage media.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    Yeah I know what you're saying. But let's look at the new Tomb Raider for
    Example. The old tomb raider games had violence, but because of the limitations of the hardware, it looked fake.

The new Tomb Raider is so realistic looking and the hardware so capable that the designers went out of their way to create unique and extremely graphic death sequences for Lara Croft. Do I enjoy watching women get impaled through the neck by a tree branch? Not particularly. I think it's sick actually. So for a consumer like myself, a particularly exciting gaming experience is ruined by over the top violence.

I know this isn't a problem for everyone, but for me and surely some others, this is a major issue as to why modern gaming isn't as appealing.
    I'm with you on that - it's kinda sickening, but I understand that the realism you're referring to (that specific example) isn't just gore for the sake of gore. I love ultra-violence in the form of stuff like No More Heroes, because it's so over the top and stylized that it's obviously fake & self-parody. I also really enjoyed the God of War games, and those include some scenes where you can mow down innocent people to get life orbs. The nice thing about that kind of situation is, you have a choice. You don't HAVE to mow them down to get life orbs, but it makes sense to do so in the context of Kratos' story line and the type of guy he is. And it goes along with the whole "war is hell" idea, since each of those games is centered on major conflict. I think some of the M-rated games that get into the hands of teenagers today would be a lot better if they offered the option of turning down the gore and violence levels, sort of like those filters you can put on a TV. If parental control is turned on in the console's settings, the game defaults to a less violent "mode" where there aren't blood splatters for headshots, or mowed down baddies fade away after a few seconds, leaving behind only the items you can pick up (ammo, health, etc) like retro games often did out of necessity to limit the # of sprites on screen. Games like Call of Duty could be even bigger sellers like that - the reality of the violence of war should not be hidden from kids who can handle the games on an emotional level, but it doesn't have to be so photorealistic. I myself might even prefer to play some games like that more. Excessive gore doesn't bother me when I'm mowing down aliens, but fellow humans? Sometimes that gets to you after a while, and the excessive desensitization does make it harder to see the line between acceptable and not so much.

Back OT, I tend to think that any game you find enjoyable is one you should play and experience, provided time, funds and opportunity. I finally sprung for a PS3 back in January and have been enjoying it immensely. I played all the way through inFAMOUS, the entire God of War Saga set (don't have Ascension yet), have dabbled with Mass Effect and Little Big Planet Karting, and am having loads of fun with a friend doing Lego Batman 2 as co-op play. But then the game I'm working on now is FF7, and I'm also sort of working on Paper Mario via my N64, so I go back and forth. I will always have love for retro and classic gaming, but I've been gaming on more modern systems since I bought my PlayStation, then Gamecube, then Wii, and now PS3.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    If robots take over and kill everybody I wouldnt say fictional violence is to blame. If anything it will prepare us for WHEN the robots take over. Because lets face it, its not an IF but WHEN situation here...
    Supposedly more true than once thought (the preparation, that is). I'd need to poke around for it, but a study was done a number of months ago to compare arms knowledge and usage between soldiers and people who have played craptons of modern FPS games. The study found that gameplaying civilians had uncanny amounts of tactile and usage information on standard military grade weapons and knew how to handle them on a level that shocked the researchers. The only real difference between the solider and the civilians in question was A) IRL experience and B) IRL training (those guns are pretty heavy).

Three conclusions were drawn from this:
    1. Video games can be used as a cheap way of allowing troops to keep many of their firearms skills up without expending huge amounts of cash. This is something that has been experimented with since the early 90s, but now we know that we can do it effectively and cheaply.
    2. If we ever need to draft a bunch of people, training won't be an issue. The video games can be used to help get people up to speed and we'll already have a high number of pre-trained civilians.
    3. There are a few hundred thousand people out there who are trained and apparently capable of using military grade weapons and tactics. That's kinda scary.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, arm chair warriors have little to no real experience when the times comes. video games aren't going to prepare you for anything unless, maybe, they are a full on VR experience.

army using games can only do so much, they still need in field training to be able to work effectively (or as effectively as possible)
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    Sorry, arm chair warriors have little to no real experience when the times comes. video games aren't going to prepare you for anything unless, maybe, they are a full on VR experience.

army using games can only do so much, they still need in field training to be able to work effectively (or as effectively as possible)
    That was the point of the study. To see if modern games could be used as effective soldier trainer tools. When I say "they found this and that" I mean they took some soldier and some FPS gamers, gave'em guns and said "shoot that target over there". The solider performed as expected, the FPS gamers performed far above and beyond what was expected. To say that we have a bunch of video game programmed sleeper agents or something walking among the population is an exaggeration, of course, but we at least know that the practical knowledge aspect of the job (the other parts being experience and physical training) can be satisfied with a PS3.

Edit: Note that I'm not trying to make any claims here. Just reiterating an interesting study I read. I doubt anything will really come of most of it, aside from refining solider training programs.
    Last edited by JSoup; 07-31-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I must be "sad" since I pretty much only play old games. The only modern consoles I have are the Wii U and 3DS, not even a New 3DS. I don't care at all for the PS4 or Xbone or new PC games. For me, there's at least two decades behind us with more games than I can realistically play. I enjoy the old far more than the new, I enjoy what I could not enjoy when I was younger.

Come join us on Micro-64

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    I guess I must be "sad" since I pretty much only play old games.
    That is kinda sad. Do you only listen to music 20 years old or older? Or not watch newer movies?

It's one thing to limit what you play based on availability of funds. But using age as a limit seems so ... Foolish
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I ever listen to music, it's almost only game music. I don't watch much for movies, either new or old. I almost never watch TV shows aside from a select few I have on either DVD or my PCs.

What exactly is sad about not playing recent games? I don't care one bit for any modern AAA releases like Fallout 4 and the like. I also haven't seen a retro game (new game made to look old) that really looks that good. My interests lie strictly in the past.

I used to be like you, following only the latest trends in gaming, but then I realized nobody said you couldn't just enjoy old stuff, a lot of it being new to me because I've never experienced it before. It was a revelation to get back my old SNES stuff in the early 2000s, then I got an NES and N64 in the summer of 2006, two systems I had always wanted. Since then, I have been experiencing all the old stuff I missed out on. I also tend to just play my old favorites, I don't see anything wrong with that. Video games should be about what is good. To me, good is old, whether it's new or old to me.

I have the following systems:

NES (+Famicom)
    PC Engine (+Super CD)
    Genesis (+Sega CD, +32X)
    SNES
    Neo Geo (MVS and AES)
    Saturn
    PS1
    N64 (+64DD)
    Dreamcast
    PS2
    Gamecube
    Xbox
    PS3
    Wii
    Wii U

Game Boy (+Color)
    Game Gear
    Neo Geo Pocket Color
    Wonderswan (+Color)
    GBA (and SP)
    DS
    3DS

MS-DOS / Windows PC
    Macintosh

Why do I need modern games when I have so much to play already?

Come join us on Micro-64