Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Classic gaming over modern gaming? What's you're stance? Video included.....

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Classic gaming over modern gaming? What's you're stance? Video included.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqMTGCbfyW0

The above is me discussing why I prefer classic gaming to modern gaming. But after finishing up the video I was wondering what others felt on the topic and why it is they may prefer one over the other.

I'm eager to find out what the members here prefer and why, catch you on the flip-side!
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

What other modern games have you played other than Call of Duty and the Lego Batman games? There are wayyy better modern games out there.

I dont know if I can say I prefer classic verses modern, because I kinda feel like the really good games are timeless.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 07-11-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    What other modern games have you played other than Call of Duty and the Lego Batman games? There are wayyy better modern games out there.

I dont know if I can say I prefer classic verses modern, because I kinda feel like the really good games are timeless.
    I actively play sports games like NBA 2k13, WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2012, and UFC, but mainly I've played the 3 Modern Warfare games, the 2 Lego Batman games, the first Batman Arkham game, Left 4 Dead 2, and Gears of War. The 3 Modern Warfare games and the first Lego Batman game were me favorites and I've beaten the 4 of them at least 4x each as well as played countless hours of online play with MW2 and MW3. But all of the other games I've tried whether it be at friends houses or through playing demo's I've just not been able to get into at all, while with retro games I've been able to jump right in and have a blast. I just don't like how games today are so long and drawn out and how companies seem to want to move toward online play, it just irks me.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    I actively play sports games like NBA 2k13, WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2012, and UFC, but mainly I've played the 3 Modern Warfare games, the 2 Lego Batman games, the first Batman Arkham game, Left 4 Dead 2, and Gears of War. The 3 Modern Warfare games and the first Lego Batman game were me favorites and I've beaten the 4 of them at least 4x each as well as played countless hours of online play with MW2 and MW3. But all of the other games I've tried whether it be at friends houses or through playing demo's I've just not been able to get into at all, while with retro games I've been able to jump right in and have a blast. I just don't like how games today are so long and drawn out and how companies seem to want to move toward online play, it just irks me.
    Personally I really like long games. If I find a game I really like, the longer the better. Skyrim is absolutely gigantic. It took me a month and a half of playing it in order to get the platinum trophy and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.
    Regarding online play, some games are just better played online with others (if you dont have someone right next to you that is). I love fighting games and I would always rather play against a human opponent than the computer.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

I don't play modern games too often anymore - either because I can't afford them or my computer can't run them. So I end up sticking with older games. Don't get me wrong, there are some modern games that I do like, such as Skyrim and the Arkham Asylum games, but for the most part I'm a retro gamer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Couldn't agree more with your vlog. There is something special about retrogaming. I do feel nostalgia plays a large role in our attachment, BUT you cannot deny the ingenuity, the creative gameplay, and the FUN that surrounds the old games. Do I want to engulf myself in a fantasy / life simulator that will take up 300 + hours of my life to complete? Not really. I'd rather run and jump on a few goombas, deliver a charged shot as Mega Man, or whip a few skeletons on Castlevania. These games required TRUE fantasy and imagination. I truly believe that nothing strengthened my imagination more as a child than growing up with the likes of Sonic The Hedgehog, Simon Belmont, Donkey Kong... the list goes on!

And as my wife and I plan on having kids in the future, I can't help but look at modern games and want to shelter them from such titles as GTA, Dead Rising, COD, Bioshock... you name it! As the technology gets better, the graphics become more realistic (and now almost photorealistic), and the innocence more and more lost.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I used to be strictly an old-school gamer, but lately I've been finding more modern-ish games that tickle my fancy. Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Armored Core are all awesome games that I somehow spent years not knowing about, and which deserve to be known.

I do dislike some terrible trends that have ruined once-classic genres (RPGs becoming too complicated and basically forcing you to buy strategy guides, fighting games shifting to 3D, how composing original soundtracks has fallen by the wayside in favor of "ambience" or licensed music...) but for the most part, it's not the time period--its the games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Choosing one is stupid. Do both.

I am currently playing Forza Horizon, Bioshock Infinite, Fallout 2, Daggerfall and Link's Awakening.

I can't wait until Wasteland 2, Shroud of the Avatar and GTA V come out.
    Next to play on my list is Ultima 7 & 8, Return to Monkey Island, FFVII and Baldur's Gate II.

There are fantastic games across all eras. Limiting, or "preferring" one over another is self detrimental as you may miss great games one way or another.

All games were once modern, All games will be classic.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People who dont play newer games get on my nerves more than people who only play newer games. Its the age difference, young people will play whats advertised to them and what their friends have. People who stay in the past are kinda sad cases to me because theres still so many awesome games made every year. So I dont see why people only play on their NES or 2600 when theres PS1 games that far more improved upon those old games formulas and invented brand new ways of playing. If yorue into really hard arcade style games then there are several indy games on PSN and XBLA to keep you going.

This article pissed me off for example.
    http://kotaku.com/there-was-no-real-...ou-f-706839854

Theres a lot of things wrong with current gaming trends, but that doesnt mean there arent great games made, you just have to dig for the gold through some advertised crap, youre older and on the internet so there shouldnt be any problem doing that. Im the type to make a huge future buying lists on amazon, so maybe Im different than most people, but laziness isnt a reason to say that retro gaming as a whole is better than newer things. Old things stay old, new things always change.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    And as my wife and I plan on having kids in the future, I can't help but look at modern games and want to shelter them from such titles as GTA, Dead Rising, COD, Bioshock... you name it! As the technology gets better, the graphics become more realistic (and now almost photorealistic), and the innocence more and more lost.
    Theres still new Mario and Zelda games being made, have them play those. A ton of people forget that theres still a LOT of kiddy games out there because Nintendo isnt on top, but if you dont want your kids playing COD or GTA, thats fantastic I dont like those games, but theres still new Nintendo games that yo uand your kids will love.
    Last edited by JakeM; 07-11-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) cholkavich's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cholkavich
    PSN
    Cholkavich

I dont see the benefit in denying yourself any games despite them being modern or retro. I love me some old school games and as for modern games, theres something for everyone if you take the time to look. Do yourself a favor and check out the Indie section on Steam, especially now with the summer sale, most can be had under $3. Just plug in a usb controller and youre good to go.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Little Miss Gloom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    littlemissgloom

I agree with Pustulio and Cholkavich, about there being no point in choosing one over the other -- however, for me, it's more about replayability than anything.

I'd argue that although there are really nice services, such as PS3 trophies and 360 achievements, there are very few modern games that resonate with me to a point that I'd love to play them again after a first-run. This is just me though. I know plenty of folks who have done multiple runs through recent titles.

It could be a nostalgic factor. It most likely -is- a nostalgic factor. But in the end I have to look at how much the game influenced me as a player, how long of a game it is, and if the game offers me a different experience if so I choose ... such as speed runs, or finding different in-game strategies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    People who dont play newer games get on my nerves more than people who only play newer games. Its the age difference, young people will play whats advertised to them and what their friends have. People who stay in the past are kinda sad cases to me because theres still so many awesome games made every year. So I dont see why people only play on their NES or 2600 when theres PS1 games that far more improved upon those old games formulas and invented brand new ways of playing. If yorue into really hard arcade style games then there are several indy games on PSN and XBLA to keep you going.

This article pissed me off for example.
    http://kotaku.com/there-was-no-real-...ou-f-706839854

Theres a lot of things wrong with current gaming trends, but that doesnt mean there arent great games made, you just have to dig for the gold through some advertised crap, youre older and on the internet so there shouldnt be any problem doing that. Im the type to make a huge future buying lists on amazon, so maybe Im different than most people, but laziness isnt a reason to say that retro gaming as a whole is better than newer things. Old things stay old, new things always change.

Theres still new Mario and Zelda games being made, have them play those. A ton of people forget that theres still a LOT of kiddy games out there because Nintendo isnt on top, but if you dont want your kids playing COD or GTA, thats fantastic I dont like those games, but theres still new Nintendo games that yo uand your kids will love.
    Absolutely. That's the reason I own a Wii U and 3DS. Currently playing Luigi's Mansion and having a blast.

I just wish I was able to experience more modern games without being visually assaulted by an onslaught of ultra violent content. I feel very strongly that it's unnecessary, and older games prove that.

There's a certain shock factor involved in why games today include such grotesque gameplay. They are appealing to that sinister side in us all. We all have in us the ability to do evil. We have it in us to do good as well.

Sure you're not going to run out and kill someone after playing GTA or COD, but I think it all comes down to desensitization, of which we clearly have all become.

Personally I just prefer not to expose myself, yet alone my kids, to this stuff. And that's coming from someone who once enjoyed GTA purely because I used it as a murder simulator. I KNOW how desensitized I've become, and that bothers me. Does it not others?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think it should be one or the other, but modern games just lack the "it" factor that makes me want to play them. Again though, that's just me.

I did like the Modern Warfare games and the Lego games from this generation.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Classic, modern, so long as I have fun playing it, that's what I care about.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just wish I was able to experience more modern games without being visually assaulted by an onslaught of ultra violent content. I feel very strongly that it's unnecessary, and older games prove that.
    Well, sorry, but not all games can be for people with limits. Theres violent games that are popular, but if you dont like them then dont feel bad about them existing. Theres plenty of nonviolent games that are popular for you to play. If them looking like real people makes you feel bad for them then ok, but thats a weird psychological portal I dont want to get into.

And you cant say that older games would have been the same if they looked like games nowadays. Every game designer you talk to will tell you that every game they made would have been totally different if the technology they were dealing with were different.

Theres this one part of Final Fantasy 13 where Lightning has this flowery weapon thing, and she looks like a dumbass for using that in a fight with someone. I hoping major publishers are going to learn some very important lessons about games looking real vs looking cool this coming generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Well, sorry, but not all games can be for people with limits. Theres violent games that are popular, but if you dont like them then dont feel bad about them existing. Theres plenty of nonviolent games that are popular for you to play. If them looking like real people makes you feel bad for them then ok, but thats a weird psychological portal I dont want to get into.

And you cant say that older games would have been the same if they looked like games nowadays. Every game designer you talk to will tell you that every game they made would have been totally different if the technology they were dealing with were different.

Theres this one part of Final Fantasy 13 where Lightning has this flowery weapon thing, and she looks like a dumbass for using that in a fight with someone. I hoping major publishers are going to learn some very important lessons about games looking real vs looking cool this coming generation.
    Yeah I know what you're saying. But let's look at the new Tomb Raider for
    Example. The old tomb raider games had violence, but because of the limitations of the hardware, it looked fake.

The new Tomb Raider is so realistic looking and the hardware so capable that the designers went out of their way to create unique and extremely graphic death sequences for Lara Croft. Do I enjoy watching women get impaled through the neck by a tree branch? Not particularly. I think it's sick actually. So for a consumer like myself, a particularly exciting gaming experience is ruined by over the top violence.

I know this isn't a problem for everyone, but for me and surely some others, this is a major issue as to why modern gaming isn't as appealing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For me its very simple - I've always preferred old school arcade games. My sweet spot is stuff that was released in the arcades between the late 70's to mid 80's. Now as mentioned, there are some great new games that are being made that are similar in style and gameplay to those older games and those are the newer ones I want to play.

This is the main reason my next "console" will probably be some kind of iOS device. I was actually going to make a video on this subject because I wonder if I can be considered a "gamer" in the traditional sense. For example, look at the most popular genres on modern consoles:

FPS
    RPG
    3rd Person Action (God of War style)
    Fighting (Mortal Kombat style)
    Music Games
    Platformers

Of the big modern genres the only ones I gravitate toward are puzzle, racing, sports, simulation, arcade, and traditional Lucasarts style adventure games which seem to have gone the way of the dodo. Of these, racing and sports are the only ones that really benefit from a big modern console and even some of these can be done well on iOS devices whereas puzzle, arcade and adventure games are fine on tablets and phones. I've even said that if I ever get a PS3, for example, it would just be for a few of the racing games that appeal to me.

So I do like modern games but very very specific ones. However, old school is my gaming experience of choice and will almost certainly always be so.
    Last edited by Atarileaf; 07-11-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I go through various phases. Right now, I seem to be more into retro games. I've been playing a lot of SNES, Sega CD, Sega Saturn and PS1 lately. I'll occasionally play a modern game (currently playing infamous on PS3), here and there, but I've been way more on the retro side of the fence recently.

However, it can fade away as quickly as it came, and there can be months and months that will go by where I haven't touched any retro games of any kind. So it just varies. I'd put myself more on the modern gaming side overall though. I have to be honest. I was more retro about 10 years ago, but lately I've been more into the current gen stuff..

Insert Coin (Level 0) Little Miss Gloom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    littlemissgloom

The new Tomb Raider is so realistic looking and the hardware so capable that the designers went out of their way to create unique and extremely graphic death sequences for Lara Croft. Do I enjoy watching women get impaled through the neck by a tree branch? Not particularly. I think it's sick actually. So for a consumer like myself, a particularly exciting gaming experience is ruined by over the top violence.

I know this isn't a problem for everyone, but for me and surely some others, this is a major issue as to why modern gaming isn't as appealing.
    You make a really awesome point here. I don't want to shove the Book of Feminism down any body's throat, but -as- a woman, I don't particularly want to watch another woman (albeit made of polygons) be viciously killed in a varying number of ways. To me it feels totally backwards, like fifty steps in the opposite direction, of what modern society has been able to accomplish in regards to spreading awareness and action against abuse of women.

I realize a woman was a lead writer for the Tomb Raider script, and in all honesty, that kind of makes it worse in my eyes. (On the other hand, I know of friends who are rape victims, who have said the tone of Tomb Raider really helped them feel empowered for once...which I guess is a good thing?)

I feel this way about abuse to men as well, and I do think video games these days are seriously taking the violence way too over the top. There is always going to be violence in video games, but there is something to be said about how it is presented, and how it is addressed. I've come to expect exploding heads from a Mortal Kombat game. Because that's the point of a Mortal Kombat game. But when developers feel they need to "up the ante" on shock value, because they feel or think it somehow boosts sales for a (mostly) MALE DEMOGRAPHIC, what does that say about the strength of the actual game's content?

It's like shadowing over how shitty a movie is by filming it in 3D in hopes to distract or trick an audience from being disappointed by a shoddy script or casting choices.

And when men are starting to come out and say the violence is just way too much...I think it's time to step back and have a serious, mature, adult, conversation about how necessary it is to have gore, versus solid game mechanics -- especially since many of us who grew up with Atari 2600s and Nintendo NESs are now married with children of our own.
    Last edited by Little Miss Gloom; 07-11-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I quite honestly don't prefer one over the other. Each are satisfying for different reasons. My time is split very evenly between both new and old.