Results 1 to 20 of 76

Thread: Classic gaming over modern gaming? What's you're stance? Video included.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    223
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Classic gaming over modern gaming? What's you're stance? Video included.....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqMTGCbfyW0

    The above is me discussing why I prefer classic gaming to modern gaming. But after finishing up the video I was wondering what others felt on the topic and why it is they may prefer one over the other.

    I'm eager to find out what the members here prefer and why, catch you on the flip-side!
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

  2. #2
    FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    bb_hood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    2,057
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    39
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    18
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

    Default

    What other modern games have you played other than Call of Duty and the Lego Batman games? There are wayyy better modern games out there.

    I dont know if I can say I prefer classic verses modern, because I kinda feel like the really good games are timeless.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 07-11-2013 at 09:15 AM.

  3. #3
    Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    223
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    What other modern games have you played other than Call of Duty and the Lego Batman games? There are wayyy better modern games out there.

    I dont know if I can say I prefer classic verses modern, because I kinda feel like the really good games are timeless.
    I actively play sports games like NBA 2k13, WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2012, and UFC, but mainly I've played the 3 Modern Warfare games, the 2 Lego Batman games, the first Batman Arkham game, Left 4 Dead 2, and Gears of War. The 3 Modern Warfare games and the first Lego Batman game were me favorites and I've beaten the 4 of them at least 4x each as well as played countless hours of online play with MW2 and MW3. But all of the other games I've tried whether it be at friends houses or through playing demo's I've just not been able to get into at all, while with retro games I've been able to jump right in and have a blast. I just don't like how games today are so long and drawn out and how companies seem to want to move toward online play, it just irks me.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

  4. #4
    FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    bb_hood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    2,057
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    39
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    18
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    I actively play sports games like NBA 2k13, WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2012, and UFC, but mainly I've played the 3 Modern Warfare games, the 2 Lego Batman games, the first Batman Arkham game, Left 4 Dead 2, and Gears of War. The 3 Modern Warfare games and the first Lego Batman game were me favorites and I've beaten the 4 of them at least 4x each as well as played countless hours of online play with MW2 and MW3. But all of the other games I've tried whether it be at friends houses or through playing demo's I've just not been able to get into at all, while with retro games I've been able to jump right in and have a blast. I just don't like how games today are so long and drawn out and how companies seem to want to move toward online play, it just irks me.
    Personally I really like long games. If I find a game I really like, the longer the better. Skyrim is absolutely gigantic. It took me a month and a half of playing it in order to get the platinum trophy and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.
    Regarding online play, some games are just better played online with others (if you dont have someone right next to you that is). I love fighting games and I would always rather play against a human opponent than the computer.

  5. #5
    Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Alpha2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mars, PA
    Posts
    233
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

    Default

    I don't play modern games too often anymore - either because I can't afford them or my computer can't run them. So I end up sticking with older games. Don't get me wrong, there are some modern games that I do like, such as Skyrim and the Arkham Asylum games, but for the most part I'm a retro gamer.

  6. #6
    ServBot (Level 11) ShinobiMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,399
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

    Default

    Couldn't agree more with your vlog. There is something special about retrogaming. I do feel nostalgia plays a large role in our attachment, BUT you cannot deny the ingenuity, the creative gameplay, and the FUN that surrounds the old games. Do I want to engulf myself in a fantasy / life simulator that will take up 300 + hours of my life to complete? Not really. I'd rather run and jump on a few goombas, deliver a charged shot as Mega Man, or whip a few skeletons on Castlevania. These games required TRUE fantasy and imagination. I truly believe that nothing strengthened my imagination more as a child than growing up with the likes of Sonic The Hedgehog, Simon Belmont, Donkey Kong... the list goes on!

    And as my wife and I plan on having kids in the future, I can't help but look at modern games and want to shelter them from such titles as GTA, Dead Rising, COD, Bioshock... you name it! As the technology gets better, the graphics become more realistic (and now almost photorealistic), and the innocence more and more lost.

  7. #7
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,544
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    16
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

    Default

    I used to be strictly an old-school gamer, but lately I've been finding more modern-ish games that tickle my fancy. Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Armored Core are all awesome games that I somehow spent years not knowing about, and which deserve to be known.

    I do dislike some terrible trends that have ruined once-classic genres (RPGs becoming too complicated and basically forcing you to buy strategy guides, fighting games shifting to 3D, how composing original soundtracks has fallen by the wayside in favor of "ambience" or licensed music...) but for the most part, it's not the time period--its the games.

  8. #8
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    nYc
    Posts
    427
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Choosing one is stupid. Do both.

    I am currently playing Forza Horizon, Bioshock Infinite, Fallout 2, Daggerfall and Link's Awakening.

    I can't wait until Wasteland 2, Shroud of the Avatar and GTA V come out.
    Next to play on my list is Ultima 7 & 8, Return to Monkey Island, FFVII and Baldur's Gate II.



    There are fantastic games across all eras. Limiting, or "preferring" one over another is self detrimental as you may miss great games one way or another.

    All games were once modern, All games will be classic.

  9. #9
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    56
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    I actively play sports games like NBA 2k13, WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2012, and UFC, but mainly I've played the 3 Modern Warfare games, the 2 Lego Batman games, the first Batman Arkham game, Left 4 Dead 2, and Gears of War. The 3 Modern Warfare games and the first Lego Batman game were me favorites and I've beaten the 4 of them at least 4x each as well as played countless hours of online play with MW2 and MW3. But all of the other games I've tried whether it be at friends houses or through playing demo's I've just not been able to get into at all, while with retro games I've been able to jump right in and have a blast. I just don't like how games today are so long and drawn out and how companies seem to want to move toward online play, it just irks me.
    It sounds like you haven't played any recent games that even have the potential to sway you. Not to be rude but the handful of games you've played are in my opinion the dregs of current gen, certainly not the best recent years have to offer.

    Here's some recent games that I feel portray modern gaming in a positive light,

    Demon's Souls
    Dark Souls
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

  10. #10
    Peach (Level 3) BricatSegaFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    626
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Heres my stance.

    I played fallout new vegas again recently, 30 min in the enemies are stuck in the floor and trees. I think nothing of it. Later the VATS system freezes and i just stand there while enemies wail away at me. Ok no problem, i handle the enemies without VATS then check my pip boy for more quests. The screen on the pip boy is blank and bright green. I reload the game and it freezes.....alot.

    OK so next game! Maybe ill play skyrim. Game loads up and i have a million updates so i make a sandwich in the meantime. My game loads and one of my quest characters will not talk to me due to some kinda bug....

    Eff this! I Turn on my Saturn and play Albert Odyssey. Game loads just fine no bugs....i play for hours uninterrupted.

    Then i play some super star soldier on pce. No problems.

    Thats my stance on classic vs modern gaming.

  11. #11
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,272
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    Heres my stance.

    I played fallout new vegas again recently, 30 min in the enemies are stuck in the floor and trees. I think nothing of it. Later the VATS system freezes and i just stand there while enemies wail away at me. Ok no problem, i handle the enemies without VATS then check my pip boy for more quests. The screen on the pip boy is blank and bright green. I reload the game and it freezes.....alot.

    OK so next game! Maybe ill play skyrim. Game loads up and i have a million updates so i make a sandwich in the meantime. My game loads and one of my quest characters will not talk to me due to some kinda bug....

    Eff this! I Turn on my Saturn and play Albert Odyssey. Game loads just fine no bugs....i play for hours uninterrupted.

    Then i play some super star soldier on pce. No problems.

    Thats my stance on classic vs modern gaming.
    I don't know, I have plenty of glitchy and downright broken games on a variety of classic platforms. You're correct though that because of the complexity of modern games in many cases, the chances of glitches and bugs slipping through the cracks is probably greater. Having said that, I don't think that necessarily makes classic games better than modern as there are some types of experiences that just can't be done justice on limited hardware or limited memory or limited storage media.

Similar Threads

  1. Is classic gaming better than modern gaming?
    By Mr.Platypus in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 01:40 PM
  2. classic gaming vs modern gaming
    By Iron Draggon in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-28-2008, 12:42 PM
  3. New Video Game Podcast (Classic and Modern Gaming)
    By raz0red in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2006, 10:48 PM
  4. Classic vs. Modern Gaming
    By digitalpress in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 08:00 PM
  5. Classic vs. Modern Gaming
    By congobongo in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 01:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •