Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What every future console should have as standard specs

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What every future console should have as standard specs

From now on, these things should be standard in all new video game machines.

1. REAL HDTV OUTPUT standard in every single FREAKING GAME. Both 1920 x 1080i interlaced and 1280 x 720 progressive, should be standard options in every single freaking game for the PS3, XBOX 2 and GameCube 2. You should be able to go into the system menu and select whether you want all games to output 1080i or 720p. Xbox games like Dragons Lair in 1080i and Tony Hawk 4 in 720p, prove that this can be done. But it must be a standard. That means a standard resolution for every single freaking game. Much like virtually every XBOX game has a standard resolution of 640 x 480 progressive.
    Ok, this is the big one. The future is HDTV. Video games need to make the transition to HDTV just like everything else. 1080i and 720p are the standard resolutions of HDTV. So future video game systems should have EVERY FREAKING GAME output 1080i and 720p. You should be able to go into the options menu for the system and select whether you want 1080i or 720p output. The XBOX has proven that this is possible. The XBOX currently doesn't have the power to do 720p or 1080i in every game, but future systems should. It would be completely unforgiveable if the the PS3 or XBOX 2 or GameCube 2 doesn't include this feature.

2. Dolby Digital EX 6.1 and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 on the fly surround sound decoding. In EVERY SINGLE GAME. STANDARD.

The XBOX has shown that 5.1 surround sound during the actual game is an amazing experience. Once you hear a game like Steel Battalion for the XBOX in all it's Dolby Digital 5.1 glory, it's very difficult to go back to games that don't have Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. But future video game systems should take this even one step further with true 6.1 sound decoding on the fly in hardware. Both 6.1 formats should be supported as a standard. Once again, you should be able to go into the systems menu and select whether you want Dolby Digital EX 6.1 or DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 .

3. Future game systems should have DVD drives that can double as a high quality Progressive scan DVD player.

Like the new PS2 with the built in network adapter, new video game systems should have DVD drives with progressive scan output. This way, people with HDTV's , don't need to have a seperate progressive scan dvd player as well as their game system. The game system can double as both.

4. 5 Disc DVD Changer for DVD games and movies should be available in a deluxe version of all new consoles.

Of course Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, can all come out with their cheapo versions of their systems to get the price as low as possible, but they should all offer deluxe versions as well. These deluxe versions could possibly include a 5 disc DVD changer. Just imagine if the current XBOX had a 5 disc dvd changer. You could have 5 XBOX live enabled games in there, and if you were playing Ghost Recon online, and you get an invite to play ESPN NFL 2004 with a buddy online, you could switch over to that game without ever leaving your seat.

5. Built in fuctionality for 5 wireles controllers.

New systems should support up to 5 controllers at a time, with all of them being wireless. Wireless technology has come a long way, and why should we have to deal with controller wires anymore? VIdeo game systems are become more and more sophisticated in terms of sound and video, that they now belong in the home theater cabinet, and not in the middle of the living room, in front of the TV. Because of this, you need longer and longer controller cords, but why even deal with cords at all? Just make it wireless from the get go.

6. Controllers to all feature mini screens and headset and headphone functionality. Sega was on to something with the VMU. Especially for sports gamers. Why not have the option for play calling screens in sports games to only be visable on the actual controller? Also, from now on every system needs to have their controllers accept headsets for online play. A regular headphone jack for sound is also a need.

Well, that is what I can think of right now off the top of my head.

Any ideas?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

4. 5 Disc DVD Changer for DVD games and movies should be available in a deluxe version of all new consoles.
    I really love the idea of a deluxe version of next gen consoles, for the rich gamer. not so sure about it having a 5 disc changer though, what good is that really? you must be UBER lazy.

Some ideas for next gen consoles:

1. Dont let third party publishers release completely naff games, rendering prices of decent preowned games sky high.

2. Inter console connectivity for third party internet games. Socom xbox vs ps2 anyone?

3. Hard drive as standard.

4. perhaps dvd-rw software for saving to game?

5. With technology like bluetooth, all controllers could be cordless, perhaps with a rechargable battery?

6. multi-tv output, for playing two player games from one system on 2 tv's.

7. no regions, pal/us should DEF be one region, holding out for japan for obvious language problems.

8. keyboard as standard? nah, how about voice hardware as standard?

9. backwards compatibility, the ps2 has shown that it can be done!

10. handheld connectivity, much like the GC-GBA connection, but perhaps with greater use.

11. DIVX codecs

there, im all idea'd out.

D

ps. my first driving lesson tommorrow, wish me luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should've worked for SEGA in the early nineties Anthony1! They would have loved you!

More hardware manufactured means more risk of expensive inventory... I think they make very little if any $$$ on new consoles. Segmenting the market with cheapo and deluxe too..... I dunno know man...

Cool to fantasize about disc changers though. You can have similar functionality to a changer today. Just mod the Xbox, and link it to your PC's. My Xbox can access all the media files on my PC thru a Relax server. Multiple movies, thousands of mp3's, all with the 'box controller.

Who knows what the future will bring. I wouldn't bet on an GC2 though...
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Droodroo
    UBER lazy.
    Did someone call me?

Anyways, a disc changer would be neat, but is unrealistic and would make a console unnessecarily large.
    Currently Playing: Day of Defeat (PC)

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all outta gum."
    -Duke Nukem

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default c

I can't imagine wireless controllers will ever be standard. Why?

Because mucho dinero is made on accessories. A retailer makes 2% on a current console (I think it's 5 on a gba though). They would MUCH rather sell you a "luxury" like wireless controllers. I'm still waiting for a wireless bluetooth card to put in my memory card slot on my current controllers so I don't have to plug it in (a hybrid, you might say). Wouldn't that rock to just plug your controller in like normal and recharge the batteries for when you want it wireless?

Also, a lot of times, wireless really pisses me off.....I lose the damn controllers. Now, if there was a page button on the console, like for my cordless phone, that would rock.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just want a fucking machine that plays games.

Not any of that fancy HDTV, hard drive shit.

Just a fucking gaming machine.

If I want a DVD player, I'll buy a DVD player. If I want a stereo, I'll buy a damn stereo.

If I want a gaming machine, I'll buy a goddamn gaming machine!
    Peace, Love and Atari!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blast Processing!
    and VGA box support.

that is all.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

Quote Originally Posted by Vice Guy
    I just want a fucking machine that plays games.

Not any of that fancy HDTV, hard drive shit.

Just a fucking gaming machine.

If I want a DVD player, I'll buy a DVD player. If I want a stereo, I'll buy a damn stereo.

If I want a gaming machine, I'll buy a goddamn gaming machine!
    you got it! I don't want a 2nd rate DVD player or wow it plays MP3s or some other such BS. I want a game player only! IT must have playable games, and a decent controller. those 2 things are a must, and for some reason in present and past history those 2 have been skipped.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: c

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    I can't imagine wireless controllers will ever be standard. Why?

Because mucho dinero is made on accessories. A retailer makes 2% on a current console (I think it's 5 on a gba though). They would MUCH rather sell you a "luxury" like wireless controllers. I'm still waiting for a wireless bluetooth card to put in my memory card slot on my current controllers so I don't have to plug it in (a hybrid, you might say). Wouldn't that rock to just plug your controller in like normal and recharge the batteries for when you want it wireless?

Also, a lot of times, wireless really pisses me off.....I lose the damn controllers. Now, if there was a page button on the console, like for my cordless phone, that would rock.

-Rob
    I agree to an extent, but if two of the major consoles came with wired controllers and the other came with a wireless, I think it would have a fairly significant advantage when marketing to the casual gamer who just "picks up" a new game machine without serious research. It would only take one generation of a console having a wireless campaign blitz before the next round of consoles all came with wireless.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can also agree with getting rid of the DVD player. With the motor problems the PS2 has had, any non gaming use, in my opinion, is not necessary. I do like the idea of 6.1 but I believe that the software companies will have to support that as well. Inter-Console online play could be an option that some software companies may want to look at but then again, Isn't that the purpose of owning a home computer?
    Keep It Stinky, Baby

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woodgrain should be standard on all consoles.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keir to the nth power
    Woodgrain should be standard on all consoles.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. Why don't you also request that they come with an 18" downfiring woofer and 6 satellite speakers? Or a hot chick to sit on your lap while you play? I sure as hell don't want to spend $500 on a console and that's what you're talking about.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

I would spend $500 dollars on a console if a hottie sat in my lap while I played.

Hell, you neo geo owners could have had hundreds of hot chicks all over you by now with the kind of dough you guys throw around.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think a retractable beer holder and ashtray should be built in

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: What every future console should have as standard specs

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    5. Built in fuctionality for 5 wireles controllers.

New systems should support up to 5 controllers at a time, with all of them being wireless. Wireless technology has come a long way, and why should we have to deal with controller wires anymore? VIdeo game systems are become more and more sophisticated in terms of sound and video, that they now belong in the home theater cabinet, and not in the middle of the living room, in front of the TV. Because of this, you need longer and longer controller cords, but why even deal with cords at all? Just make it wireless from the get go.
    Why 5 controllers? You can only have 4 player split screen for a reason...there's not enough room on the t.v.

-=Mr. NEStalgia=-

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: a

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    I would spend $500 dollars on a console if a hottie sat in my lap while I played.
    Well, except that any time I've had a hot chick on my lap I've had no interest in putting my hands on a damn video game controller.

i think a retractable beer holder and ashtray should be built in
    There IS a retractable beer holder... that's the tray that comes out when you press eject.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Droodroo
    6. multi-tv output, for playing two player games from one system on 2 tv's.
    Best idea ever. Maybe then Console FPS games wouldn't suck quite as bad as they do.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. NEStalgia
    Why 5 controllers? You can only have 4 player split screen for a reason...there's not enough room on the t.v.
    Possibly with the intent of playing full teams with certain sport games, which doesn't need split screen so far as I know. I don't play em.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. NEStalgia
    Possibly with the intent of playing full teams with certain sport games, which doesn't need split screen so far as I know. I don't play em.
    For my "ESPN Soccer X-Treeeeeem 2Khalfdozen" I would need 22 controllers. Wait, make that 25 (3 for the refs).

Also, I would like future consoles to come equipped with a sausage dispenser.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY