Thread: Ubisoft: "We'll only make games we can turn into franchises"

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Ubisoft: "We'll only make games we can turn into franchises"

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...nto_franchises

Proof that rising development costs are hurting the industry, if you ask me.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's proof that these developers can't manage their money properly anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So is "franchise" a clever term for "we'll make the same crap year after year with just a few slight changes, a number after the name, and throw an AAA price on it - sucker"?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

It's proof that developers lack innovation. If all you can do is the same thing over and over 3-5 times, why bother?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    It's proof that developers lack innovation. If all you can do is the same thing over and over 3-5 times, why bother?
    Because the majority of people who buy games are an unimaginative lot.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree with The Adventurer on that. I lost faith in humanity a long time ago.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    So is "franchise" a clever term for "we'll make the same crap year after year with just a few slight changes, a number after the name, and throw an AAA price on it - sucker"?
    Why not, working out so well for Hollywood these days.....
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0) Words iManifest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I rarely ever say this about anybody/anything but I really despise Ubisoft and their crappy flag collecting simulator Assassin's Creed games...not to mention what they did to the new Rayman rubs me in all the wrong ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Why not, working out so well for Hollywood these days.....
    Grown Ups 2 anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    I have to agree with The Adventurer on that. I lost faith in humanity a long time ago.
    Don't get to much up on that high horse. This has been the case throughout human existence. It's not a new phenomena.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Words iManifest View Post
    I rarely ever say this about anybody/anything but I really despise Ubisoft and their crappy flag collecting simulator Assassin's Creed games...not to mention what they did to the new Rayman rubs me in all the wrong ways.
    Anything that got their attention away from those awful Rabbids is good in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    Grown Ups 2 anyone?
    I've never seen a year where people so adamantly hate the newest blockbusters like this one before. There have been so many flops this year, both critically and financially, that I wonder if the movie industry will take the hint. Or at least stop making films starring Will Smith's kids and/or set in the Wild West.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I've never seen a year where people so adamantly hate the newest blockbusters like this one before. There have been so many flops this year, both critically and financially, that I wonder if the movie industry will take the hint. Or at least stop making films starring Will Smith's kids and/or set in the Wild West.
    It must be because they're not spending enough money on them, they need a budget of 500 million dollars each to work. That should fix it so people will like them better. It can't be because they're poorly written or poorly directed. They need more money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I disagree, in that I don't see the industry hurting.

It might depend on what metrics you want to use to define what hurting actually means, but overall sales aren't falling (and that's what I would use).

The industry has definitely split (and continues to) into large and small players, but I think it's a good thing. The big boys can give us the big, massively expensive franchise games, whereas the smaller studios can give us the smaller stuff that is innovative and franchise free.

We still get the best of both worlds, and we will still get new franchises, they just have to be something the big boys can build a brand around.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    I lost faith in humanity a long time ago.
    Over their video game habits?

Back on topic, this is nothing new. Publishers need to make money year over year to appease their share holders and pay their employees. The easiest way for them to do this is to make a game that turns into a franchise that they can then release more often and eventually branch out into other marketing ventures such as toys, books and other memorabilia.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm confused - isn't a franchise what most big selling writers, games publishers, film producers etc have been after for years? Why is this news?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

How are rising development costs hurting now more than they did in the past? Gaming is bigger than every, they've got more ways to make money, more multiconsole titles more than they have in the past, etc. Develolpers/publishers are getting more sales than ever.

Now days 95% of games are multiconsole where as maybe 10% were multiconsole in the past. The average game might cost $1-$20 million to develop, but they're selling them across two or three different consoles plus PC. They're selling all this DLC. Collector's Editions items are no longer free preorders like they were in the past. You now pay premium prices for some cheap as hell extras.

Also take into account that today the cost of the dollar is cheaper. Final Fantasy 7 was $45 million back then, so $65 million today.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have nothing against a game being turned into a long running series, as long as it stays fresh and innovative like Metal Gear, Mario, Zelda etc. When it becomes stagnant and repetitive as fuck like God of War, Call of Duty among others, is when it hurts the industry.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I have nothing against a game being turned into a long running series, as long as it stays fresh and innovative like Metal Gear, Mario, Zelda etc. When it becomes stagnant and repetitive as fuck like God of War, Call of Duty among others, is when it hurts the industry.
    This is full of all sorts of hypocrisy. It basically reads

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I have nothing against a game being turned into a long running series, stagnant and repetitive or not as long as it's a game I like, such as Metal Gear, Mario, Zelda etc. When it's a game I don't like, such as God of War, Call of Duty among others, is when it hurts the industry.
    Sorry, but there's very little difference between Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 3. I've never played more than five minutes of Metal Gear Solid 4 at a friends so I won't act like I have, but the third game is pretty much the first game with more diverse areas, camo, and stuff to fix broken bones, cuts, burns, etc. Metal Gear Solid is a lot like Metal Gear but in 3D.

I'm not a fan of God of War or Call of Duty, but except for Mario, I'm also not blind that the ones you listed are the same rehashes again and again. The difference between Mario and the others is that the most recent ones aren't good games. I'd rather have good repetitive new releases rather than an innovative overrated pos games like Super Mario 3D Land.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    This is full of all sorts of hypocrisy. It basically reads

Sorry, but there's very little difference between Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 3. I've never played more than five minutes of Metal Gear Solid 4 at a friends so I won't act like I have, but the third game is pretty much the first game with more diverse areas, camo, and stuff to fix broken bones, cuts, burns, etc. Metal Gear Solid is a lot like Metal Gear but in 3D.

I'm not a fan of God of War or Call of Duty, but except for Mario, I'm also not blind that the ones you listed are the same rehashes again and again. The difference between Mario and the others is that the most recent ones aren't good games. I'd rather have good repetitive new releases rather than an innovative overrated pos games like Super Mario 3D Land.
    This.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Basically sequels are alright as long as they're made well. Making sequels has been a standard practice since the early arcade days, look at Breakout and Super Breakout as a couple examples.

Making sequels when you've run out of ideas on how to improve the gameplay or continue the story properly is the problem, then it's just a cash grab. Looking at movies just look at The Terminator. The direct sequel to this is often considered to be better than the original, then more sequels came out which are complete garbage and ruined the series. The problem with most video game franchises today is that they're beyond beating a dead horse, yet they're still going on anyway. Either they're not improving the way the games play, or they're story based yet they've already dragged out the story past where it should have ended. Even with keeping the same gameplay, sequels are then basically just level expansions. There comes a point when you run out of ideas to make good level designs and the quality begins to suffer, either with repeating the same designs or producing terrible new ones. Don't let your series become the Death Wish of video games.