Thread: Anybody play their retro games on a projector ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Anybody play their retro games on a projector ?

I've been thinking about trying to track down a 4:3 projector that can handle 15.75khz native rgb. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea where to go looking for such a thing. I think 4:3 projectors are still made for business presentations, but normally those aren't the type of projectors you'd want to use with Super Nintendo and Genesis games. Not to mention the fact that it also being able to handle 15.75 khz is doubtful. Also, doesn't the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis output 320 x 220 or something like that ? I'd have to get a very old projector that could handle that resolution, or are they all just going to automatically upconvert it ?

I've used projectors for modern games and movies, but never really thought about playing any retro games on a projector. I normally use my 20 inch Sony PVM CRT monitor for all my retrogaming. I do have a projector that I use for movies and PS3/360, but it's a 16:9 projector. It does have a 4:3 mode that you can select, but it's not a "true" 4:3. Ideally, having a legitimate 4:3 projector is the better way to go, so you get a very authentic FOV. It's just finding a 4:3 projector that isn't super old, that can sync with 15.75khz could be pretty difficult task...

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why not just get a projector that takes composite or S-video input, that would play most retro systems fine (especially if composite input).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I had a Sony 1272Q and when it worked fine, the picture was amazing. But these are fuckin heavy, and bulky they are huge. You will need a professional technician to set it up, trust me im tech savyy and I could never figure how to adjust the picture, the damn thing has over 40 buttons!!
    I bought mine for 1500$ in 2006, and I threw it away last month because it was damaged in a basement flood. You need a big room for this and setting the thing on the ceiling is a nightmare, and I always had technical problems with it. I recommend playing on a good pvm instead...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I had a Sony 1272Q and when it worked fine, the picture was amazing. But these are fuckin heavy, and bulky they are huge. You will need a professional technician to set it up, trust me im tech savyy and I could never figure how to adjust the picture, the damn thing has over 40 buttons!!
    I bought mine for 1500$ in 2006, and I threw it away last month because it was damaged in a basement flood. You need a big room for this and setting the thing on the ceiling is a nightmare, and I always had technical problems with it. I recommend playing on a good pvm instead...

Wow, you know what. I bet a CRT projector would be awesome for old school RGB gaming. Unfortunately those things are HUGE, and getting them aligned perfectly is a nightmare. Plus, I would imagine trying to maintain it, and keep it's performance up to par would be costly.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

a crt projector? how the heck would such a thing work?

i must !elgoog

edit:

wow odd i guess its just super bright crts in front of a lens
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRT_projector
    Last edited by Niku-Sama; 07-18-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is what a CRT projector looks like:

Yeah, they are freaking huge monstrosities. I never used a projector back in the 80's or 90's, but many of the projector people out there were using large CRT projectors like this. Many people still swear by them today, saying that you can't really get a better black level than a CRT projector. Of course, we've since moved on to LCD and DLP projectors, which are much smaller.
    Last edited by WCP; 07-18-2013 at 11:44 AM.