Thread: Games that require you to play a HARDER mode to complete

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Default Games that require you to play a HARDER mode to complete

OK so I was literally just playing Ex-Mutants on the Sega Genesis for the first time (Not to shabby a game by the way. Gameplay is sort of addicting).

I was playing on the EASY mode, when about three or four levels in, after a boss battle, the game prompts me with a message along the lines of, "Sorry, if you wish to continue on past this point, you must play a HARDER difficulty."

Need less to say, this is an extremely annoying tactic programmers used to use, but at the same time, it always makes me laugh. It's almost like the game is communicating with you. It's saying, "Yeah, you THOUGHT you were hot stuff but in reality you're not! Why don't you play the REAL mode and stop being a wuss!"

This was a fun discovery, as I haven't had a game do this to me since the old days. It's even worse when the game throws this at you on the second to last stage of the game. I know Contra 3 was like that. And Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose did something to that effect as well if I remember.

So for this thread, what games have slapped you in the face, pulled the rug out from underneath your feet with such a dastardly trick? I'm curious if we can create a huge list of games that are jerks like that.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I know on the NES version of Double Dragon II: The Revenge, if you wanted to play all levels you had to choose the Supreme Master difficulty rating.

~Ben

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Contra 3 on the SNES and DD2 (already mentioned) are the two that come to mind. Magical Chase on the Turbo/PCE is the same way I think.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

isn't Turtles in time like this?
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Streets of Rage 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most the of the Ghost n Goblins series makes you replay the game at a harder difficulty (and use a special weapon) to get the true ending.

I remember me and my friend were playing Super Ghoul's n Ghosts and we thought we had finally beat it, only to get the message that we had to do it over again.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

There was this Japanese import i remember playing back in the ps1 era that required you to beat the game 3 times, each time on a harder difficulty to reach a higher unlocked level.

Beating it on normal i think had 4 levels, hard was 5 levels, and hardest or whatever it was called was the final level 6

Edit: the game was deep freeze for ps1
    Last edited by LaughingMAN.S9; 07-18-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A few games come to mind:

Puggsy, if you play the "Junior" mode, tells you happily to play the full game once you beat a few levels. The devs fiendishly used the same cap for pirated copies, but present a far more unsettling message with creepy music.

High Seas Havoc, a little-known sonic clone for genesis, only lets you play a few of the levels on "easy" mode then tells you to play the full game on at least normal once you've cleared them.

Castle Of Illusion Follows the same rule as Puggsy with its practice mode, but without the creepy antipiracy.

Rocket Knight Adventures follows that classic Konami bullroar where you can only see the true ending when you play on the hardest mode (which puts the entire ghouls series to shame in difficulty.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strange stuff here. I must have never played games on easy mode because I have never encountered such a situation. Does anyone know if this practice continues on modern gen games as well?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    Rocket Knight Adventures follows that classic Konami bullroar where you can only see the true ending when you play on the hardest mode (which puts the entire ghouls series to shame in difficulty.)
    I recall the Genesis version of Tournament Fighters was outright un-fucking-fair with this kind of setup.

EVERY difficulty level besides the hardest ended story mode with "Try a harder difficulty!" which is one thing - but the highest difficulty levels were impossible for reasons that were basically cheap as all heck, since your characters became one-hit-wonders (IN A FIGHTING GAME) and the only reliable damage you could do to an opponent was by forward-jabs (and if you were thrown yourself, ta ta!).

This is particularly frustrating wehn you realize the OTHER TF versions had more balanced difficulty levels.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Another Genesis game that comes to mind regarding more levels on a different difficulty is: Goofy's Hysterical History Tour. However, it seems to work in reverse: a higher difficulty setting means less levels to complete.

~Ben

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    A few games come to mind:

Puggsy, if you play the "Junior" mode, tells you happily to play the full game once you beat a few levels. The devs fiendishly used the same cap for pirated copies, but present a far more unsettling message with creepy music.
    Funny, I finished this game over the summer of 09 and when I read about this the song that instantly popped into my head was the one that played during the boss screen (the one that tells you which ones you have and haven't defeated yet). I looked up a video on youtube and sure enough, it was the same song.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    I know on the NES version of Double Dragon II: The Revenge, if you wanted to play all levels you had to choose the Supreme Master difficulty rating.

~Ben
    I've beaten that game several times and was never aware of this. But according to wiki the only level missing from the easier difficulties is the last level. I always thought the last level was when you fight your mirror image. As for other games, Mortal Kombat Mythology: Subzero also tells you around level 3 or 4 that you need to choose a higher difficulty in order to play thru the rest of the levels.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't really mind when games pull this on easy mode, although I think developers should have the decency to cut the game short after just a few levels rather than right before the final stage, but it really annoys me when the standard difficulty isn't good enough to get an ending and you're forced to play on hard. Castlevania: Bloodlines does this, which is all the more annoying considering it's one of the few Castlevania games to not offer unlimited continues as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Taz Mania (Genesis) springs to mind. "Practice" mode provides a sharply abbreviated set of levels with no final boss.

To be fair, it did provide a means of practicing some of the trickier later levels – it's a friendlier alternative to playing through the game over and over again only to keep running out of lives and continues on the same level and never managing to actually take a decent shot at it.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I remember Golden Axe II was like this, if you're on easy mode you can't get to the last levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Just about any shoot'em up by psikyo such as gunbird.When you finish it the first time you get ending,but to get it's credits you must finish it a second time.Beside the game difficulty go's up......

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

A lot of arcade shooters have second loops that must be beaten to get the "true" ending. I haven't seen it much in console games, but I know they're out there.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Taz Mania (Genesis) springs to mind. "Practice" mode provides a sharply abbreviated set of levels with no final boss.

To be fair, it did provide a means of practicing some of the trickier later levels – it's a friendlier alternative to playing through the game over and over again only to keep running out of lives and continues on the same level and never managing to actually take a decent shot at it.
    castle of illusion on SMS is the same way.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I remember Golden Axe II was like this, if you're on easy mode you can't get to the last levels.
    The original Golden Axe on the Genesis had that too. It's been a while but I think you had to go to the highest difficulty to get to the last stage, but I'm not sure.