Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: What's the best way to play Ys 1, 2, 3, and 4?

  1. #1
    Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,810
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default What's the best way to play Ys 1, 2, 3, and 4?

    I have never seen any RPG series get so many ****ing ports. What's the best way to start? It doesn't appear that there are translations of the original Japanese computer releases available. Are the original US releases (SMS, Turbo CD, SNES) good translations? How about the PC and DS remakes?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

  2. #2
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    139
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default Good question

    I don't know but I noticed that Steam has some of Ys (eees) games on sale for like $5 - http://store.steampowered.com/app/223810/

  3. #3
    Kirby (Level 13) Tanooki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,957
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    There are modernized versions of the first 3 titles done for the PC you can get for a not much money, I think they're all on steam, though Ys3 got wacked out redone to be like ys1/2 so it's no longer a side scroller.

    If you want something more traditional your best bet would be the TG16 CD releases of the lot. Good use of color and sprites, nice little movies, and the CD audio is fantastic.

  4. #4
    Pretzel (Level 4) T2KFreeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    905
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Turbo Cd is the best bet. There was also a VERY good fan translation Patch of Ys IV, voice acting and text. It's fantastic!

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,114
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    122
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

    Default

    I don't think it really matters. None of the English releases have been poorly received on the whole. Just go with what you already own, or if you've yet to buy any of them, just look at the prices, some screen shots, and consider what console/handheld you'd prefer to play on to make a decision.

    I recently played through the first two Ys games for the very first time via the DS remakes, and I had a ton of fun with them. Some diehard Ys fans pooh-pooh that release because they nitpick over tiny details and dislike the change to 3D graphics and sword slashing. Personally, I think it's a bit hypocritical because Oath of Felghana is a far more drastic change to the original versions of Ys III yet Ys fans gush over it, but I guess that one gets a pass because Ys III was sort of the "black sheep" of the series so people didn't mind if it was remade from the ground up, while Ys fans have intense nostalgia for the first two games and can't tolerate any changes to them.

    Oh, and I should point out that there is no official English release of any version of Ys IV yet, although there will be one soon for Vita. Like Oath of Felghana, though, it's been significantly remade.

  6. #6
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,837
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    18
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

    Default

    For the original Ys games go with the TG16 version such as 1,2,3,4.For the modern ones the pc version for steam they do have a few of them.If you have a psp it doesn't hurt to check out Ys oath in felghana,Ys 1&2 chronicles and Ys 6&7.

    BTW,what brought this interest on for the Ys series the recent game sack episode !?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvvGtPWNRsA

    Also hardcoregaming101 has a article on the series.
    http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ys/ys.htm

    Also Ys IV for the turbografx 16 does have a fan translation and dubbing.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 07-24-2013 at 07:30 AM.

  7. #7
    Cherry (Level 1) M.Buster2184's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    305
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

    Default

    Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to play the TuboGrafx CD version, nor will I be able to anytime soon, pending me getting a copy of the game and a TG CD to go with my TG16. Does anyone know if the PS2 or DS versions are any good/worth playing?

  8. #8
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,837
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    18
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Buster2184 View Post
    Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to play the TuboGrafx CD version, nor will I be able to anytime soon, pending me getting a copy of the game and a TG CD to go with my TG16. Does anyone know if the PS2 or DS versions are any good/worth playing?
    Far as the remakes go ive played,Ys 1&2 chronicles on the psp but that's it.It's a solid version of Ys that plays great.Never played the ds version,though ive heard it's terrible due to it's controls.For the PS2 version of Ys 1&2 no clue since it never had a u.s release.

  9. #9
    Cherry (Level 1) M.Buster2184's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    305
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Far as the remakes go ive played,Ys 1&2 chronicles on the psp but that's it.It's a solid version of Ys that plays great.Never played the ds version,though ive heard it's terrible due to it's controls.For the PS2 version of Ys 1&2 no clue since it never had a u.s release.
    Ahh balls, I wasn't aware the PS2 version wasn't released in the US, or that the DS version was no good. Oh well.

  10. #10
    DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Kitsune Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Calexico, USA
    Posts
    13,853
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

    Default

    The PC ports of Ys 1-3 and Origins are excellent and have a really awesome translation. You can pick up all four for like sixteen bucks right now, for the next er, five and a half hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

  11. #11
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,778
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    28
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

    Default

    Keep in mind that the Turbo CD was the only system to ever get the real Ys IV. The SNES got some weird alternative Ys IV, and they later made a completely different Ys IV for the PS2.

    Weird, I know.

    But speaking as a Turbo Duo loyalist... go with those, assuming you have a duo. Other than that, I believe Ys I and II have been rereleased for the PS2, PC, and PSP.

    There's also an anime you should check out.

  12. #12
    Apple (Level 5) xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,052
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I liked the PSP remake versions, but after learning that the translations for them and the PC versions were essentially stolen without compensation from one of the people responsible for the fan translations, I'm hesitant to give any support or money to XSEED anymore.

    I'd recommend the Turbo versions as well though, they are quite solid.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,114
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    122
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Buster2184 View Post
    Does anyone know if the PS2 or DS versions are any good/worth playing?
    Just read my post two posts above yours. :/ And nevermind Tron's hearsay. I can say from firsthand experience that the DS versions are very enjoyable. It's not at all a terrible release, and the controls are rock solid, assuming you choose the manual control scheme rather than the weird touch screen control scheme. If you weren't aware of the "bumping" system of the original versions, you'd never know that the games weren't Zelda-style sword-slashing adventure games from how the DS versions play. The reception to the DS compilation was very positive; the only people who accuse it of being bad are nitpicky Ys purists who can't stand change. Personally, considering there are already a bajillion versions of the early Ys games, I think there's room in this world for multiple takes on the concept and enjoying their differences.

    I liked the PSP remake versions, but after learning that the translations for them and the PC versions were essentially stolen without compensation from one of the people responsible for the fan translations, I'm hesitant to give any support or money to XSEED anymore.
    Huh? I thought XSEED worked with the fan translators and did compensate them?

  14. #14
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,837
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    18
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Huh? I thought XSEED worked with the fan translators and did compensate them?
    Nightwolve didn't get what was 'owed to him.He pretty much got the raw end of the deal which is really screwed up.

    Read more about it here.
    http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/ind...?topic=15057.0

  15. #15
    Vic Viper Bloodreign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Next door to Bayou Billy
    Posts
    645
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

    Default

    Don't believe everything you read, you'll go blind, some more about the fiasco.

    http://seldane.proboards.com/thread/6552/boycott-xseed

    Dude seems batshit insane.
    http://www.ysutopia.net/forums/index.php?topic=419.0
    http://www.ysutopia.net/forums/index.php?topic=422
    http://www.ysutopia.net/forums/index.php?topic=423.0

    All in all this could turn into a brutal filthy court battle between the guy and XSEED.
    Last edited by Bloodreign; 07-25-2013 at 04:52 AM.

  16. #16
    Cherry (Level 1) M.Buster2184's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    305
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Just read my post two posts above yours. :/ And nevermind Tron's hearsay. I can say from firsthand experience that the DS versions are very enjoyable. It's not at all a terrible release, and the controls are rock solid, assuming you choose the manual control scheme rather than the weird touch screen control scheme. If you weren't aware of the "bumping" system of the original versions, you'd never know that the games weren't Zelda-style sword-slashing adventure games from how the DS versions play. The reception to the DS compilation was very positive; the only people who accuse it of being bad are nitpicky Ys purists who can't stand change. Personally, considering there are already a bajillion versions of the early Ys games, I think there's room in this world for multiple takes on the concept and enjoying their differences.
    Apparently I can't read. In the long run I'll have to try it out for myself, but after checking the out some reviews, it seems the DS version is worth playing. On the plus side, for me it's more accessible and more affordable.

  17. #17
    Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,810
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    That story makes it sound like Nightwolve's d-bag partner is the one who screwed him over, not Xseed. But either way, it's been made clear that I should begin with the Turbo-CD games.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

  18. #18
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,114
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    122
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

    Default

    Wow, what a drama. I guess this all just recently came out? It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Really, this just backs up what I've assumed all along, and that's that game publishers really are better off doing their own localizations or farming them out to reputable localization companies like 8-4. Dealing with the fan translation scene is just asking for trouble since you're working in a legally gray area, and whether the publisher is at fault or not, you're bound to run into clashing internet personalities, drama, and shady dealings. Don't get me wrong, there are upstanding individuals in fan translation who behave very professionally, but every online fan scene has its dumb drama. I've seen drama blow up after manga publishers dipped into the scanlation scene as well.

  19. #19
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,837
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    18
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    That story makes it sound like Nightwolve's d-bag partner is the one who screwed him over, not Xseed. But either way, it's been made clear that I should begin with the Turbo-CD games.
    That's how i see it for the most part.Heck i didn't know until now man talk about allot of drama over the game translation.If you gonna 'start with the Ys games on the TG16 that's not a bad place to start.Just don't pay to much for a physical copy it's gotten rather bad,when it comes to Ys III with gouging for it by resellers.

  20. #20
    Apple (Level 5) xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,052
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Wow, what a drama. I guess this all just recently came out? It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Really, this just backs up what I've assumed all along, and that's that game publishers really are better off doing their own localizations or farming them out to reputable localization companies like 8-4. Dealing with the fan translation scene is just asking for trouble since you're working in a legally gray area, and whether the publisher is at fault or not, you're bound to run into clashing internet personalities, drama, and shady dealings. Don't get me wrong, there are upstanding individuals in fan translation who behave very professionally, but every online fan scene has its dumb drama. I've seen drama blow up after manga publishers dipped into the scanlation scene as well.
    Yeah, I believe XSEED is fully aware of the backlash at this point and has decided not to use fan translations like this in the future. I kind of have mixed feeling about it, because if using fan translations made it cheaper and easier for them to get a final product out better it would be cool, because presumably they could bring over more games.

    But because of how this wound up they've decided to avoid that in the future, which still means a good product, but each one will probably take longer at this point.

Similar Threads

  1. New to RTS. What to play?
    By Smack2k in forum Computer Gaming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-19-2013, 10:28 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 06:04 PM
  3. FS: Play Play collections
    By Kid Fenris in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 02:54 AM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 09:37 PM
  5. Play To The End or Play For 100% Complete?
    By Cmosfm in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 09:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •