Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RYGAR for the NES

I've recently sat down to play this game for the first time in quite a long time and I have to say, I'm not in the least bit impressed by it and I felt it was a frustrating experience rife with things that I hated most about games of this era. Everything from the graphics to the quality of gameplay suffered and the music, while okay, got annoying after a short while, and need I say anything about the game's difficulty? Bleh! http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogs...eviews_24.html is the review I posted on it if you're interested in my full thoughts, but yeah......not a fan.

Opinions on this game are welcome. What is your experience with Rygar on the NES and do you enjoy it or dislike it such as I do? Let's discuss Rygar!
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

To be honest, I've never played it. However, I've watched many YouTube video of gameplay and I have to say that I'm just not interested. I have no desire to play it.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

First experience with Rygar was via emulators in the late 1990s, and later I bought an actual cartridge at a pawn shop.

Used to be a favorite. Now? Well.. its a nostalgic piece, after a fashion, but it does have some gaping huge design flaws, such as items that are too finicky and hard to use. That said, it's got that sense of adventure, it's got plenty of action and its got a great soundtrack. I say the pluses outweigh the minuses.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Im not a fan of Rygar. The game itself is kinda boring and the music is weak.
    Ive played through most of the game a few times and I agree its pretty mediocre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up Rygar at the Flea Market because it's an iconic NES game I wanted for my NES collection. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea, though I could see it having a certain appeal to some gamers, and I could also see myself playing it at a later date. Personally, I kinda like the music in the game.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The music is fine but gets really dull fast. The gameplay is very frustrating and takes way too long to get anywhere.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

main flaw with Rygar, no password or save feature.

I always loved the music though.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

*shrugs* It's not the best NES game, but I like it enough. I definitely prefer it over the stupidly cheap arcade game. Oh, and I think the music is quite good myself.

I think it's important to keep in mind that Rygar is a 1987 NES game, so it's right on that turning point where NES games went from being relatively small, straightforward, and arcade-y, to being more sophisticated, expansive, and modern, and there was a period of growing pains in between. Look at the first Castlevania and Mega Man games, those are '87 releases too, and compare them to the later releases in their respective series. They too lack the conveniences and sophistication we came to except later on, like, namely, passwords or saving. Rygar fits within its era, and while you could dismiss all releases from that time, I'd rather just immerse myself in the mentality of what was expected and acceptable back then and roll with it.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Rygar is a bit dated but at the time it was one of the better nes games around. I don't play it much any more because I've beaten it soooo many times, but that in itself is a testament to its endearing qualities. I like the weird level design and bizarre characters. I still find the growling bosses unsettling, and some of the music is downright scary. Some of the tunes give me the chills.

But yeah, it's hard. There's no tutorials and you have to explore and figure it out on your own. That's how we did it back then. I beat it at age 9, so it's doable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

The best thing about your "review" was that it was short. Let's see...

"Rygar for the Nintendo Entertainment System gives the player a 3 hit life bar but yet throws enemies and obstacals at you faster than a cowboy on crack..." Even correcting for "obstacles", what in the world does that mean? How fast do cowboys on crack throw enemies?

"...enemies that re-spawn faster than steroid injected rabbits reproducing." I guess I can understand what that means, maybe. But do steroids make one reproduce faster? Do they speed up the gestation period?

"In fact, I'd rather know what it feels like to get fucked by a rabid bear with a katana sword strap on than play this game again." Well, ok, if that's a fact. But...yeah.

It sounds like something a 15 year old would write after watching AVGN.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    But do steroids make one reproduce faster? Do they speed up the gestation period?
    Anabolic steroids cause testicular atrophy in men and will stop ovulation and menstruation in women. So, no they actually cause infertility

I didn't watch the video. After reading some of the comments here, I'm glad I didn't.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Anabolic steroids cause testicular atrophy in men and will stop ovulation and menstruation in women. So, no they actually cause infertility

I didn't watch the video. After reading some of the comments here, I'm glad I didn't.
    Haha, this analytical breakdown of that stupid analogy/"joke" cracked me up more than it should have.

Remember when this board had ACTUAL discussion topics and not just veiled attempts at advertising the creations of people who want to be the next AVGN? Those were the good ol' days. Sometimes I reply to these sorts of topics, but I never click the links.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, this game is beloved more than I truly expected it to be. Over the past day and a half I've talked to at least 3 close friends who enjoyed it back in the day, my fiancee had noted that she enjoyed it as a kid, and its getting praise on a couple different forums at the moment. I guess it was more revered than I thought it was, which if fine because people will like what they like and that's cool.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rygar is rough around the edges but it was one of my favorite games when I was a kid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    "Rygar for the Nintendo Entertainment System gives the player a 3 hit life bar..
    Umm, play the game a while and see that the initial 3-hit life bar expands, I think to 8 hits by the time the game is over. So much for glossing over a game before reviewing it.

Quote Originally Posted by FFStudios View Post

So much for that 400k viewership, right?
    Wow. Busted. Can't be trusted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Haha, this analytical breakdown of that stupid analogy/"joke" cracked me up more than it should have.

Remember when this board had ACTUAL discussion topics and not just veiled attempts at advertising the creations of people who want to be the next AVGN? Those were the good ol' days. Sometimes I reply to these sorts of topics, but I never click the links.
    I still like to pretend that people actually want to talk about playing games on here and not just hoarding them. Call me crazy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I still like to pretend that people actually want to talk about playing games on here and not just hoarding them. Call me crazy...
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.