Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RYGAR for the NES

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No one here cares about your sh*t blog you numbnuts. Go spew your shitty ass opinions elsewhere. Rygar is a great game and you suck.

thank you.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    No one here cares about your sh*t blog you numbnuts. Go spew your shitty ass opinions elsewhere. Rygar is a great game and you suck.

thank you.
    i get to see them twice hanging here and nintendoage
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post

thank you.
    Wow, what are we 6 years old? Some people.......
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Rygar is a bit dated but at the time it was one of the better nes games around. I don't play it much any more because I've beaten it soooo many times, but that in itself is a testament to its endearing qualities. I like the weird level design and bizarre characters. I still find the growling bosses unsettling, and some of the music is downright scary. Some of the tunes give me the chills.

But yeah, it's hard. There's no tutorials and you have to explore and figure it out on your own. That's how we did it back then. I beat it at age 9, so it's doable.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

My local (now closed) Chuck E. Cheese used to have a Rygar machine. I don't recall if I ever beat it, but it was one of my favorite games they had. Looking back, it doesn't seem to hold up as well visually, but watching youtube gameplay vids has given me a distinct desire to play it again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    Wow, what are we 6 years old? Some people.......
    You've pretty much been switching between 3rd grade insults and "I'm just too mature for you" statements from the moment you join here, as have FieryReign and MyTurnToPlay. So hows about you all knock it off, hmm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I paid full price for the game and beat it on a rainy weekend. Turbo controller makes the game waaaaaay easier. Also there's a few grind spots to max out your health meter. It wasn't a horrible game but it's not something I'd play through for the first time these days - I don't have the patience or free time to give this game the time it needs.

I can't remember if I actually used the printed guide to play through it or actually powered through. I think it was in the "Official Nintendo Guide" (black cover)
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

The best thing about your "review" was that it was short. Let's see...

"Rygar for the Nintendo Entertainment System gives the player a 3 hit life bar but yet throws enemies and obstacals at you faster than a cowboy on crack..." Even correcting for "obstacles", what in the world does that mean? How fast do cowboys on crack throw enemies?

"...enemies that re-spawn faster than steroid injected rabbits reproducing." I guess I can understand what that means, maybe. But do steroids make one reproduce faster? Do they speed up the gestation period?

"In fact, I'd rather know what it feels like to get fucked by a rabid bear with a katana sword strap on than play this game again." Well, ok, if that's a fact. But...yeah.

It sounds like something a 15 year old would write after watching AVGN.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    But do steroids make one reproduce faster? Do they speed up the gestation period?
    Anabolic steroids cause testicular atrophy in men and will stop ovulation and menstruation in women. So, no they actually cause infertility

I didn't watch the video. After reading some of the comments here, I'm glad I didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Rygar for the nes ive completed it many times.So yeah,i enjoy the game and i don't get why it's hated at all.The game itself is not that difficult to me at least.In fact i prefer the nes version more compared to the arcade original.

Sure the nes version is more of a action rpg but that's why i like it,with the arcade version it's a straight up action game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    *shrugs* It's not the best NES game, but I like it enough. I definitely prefer it over the stupidly cheap arcade game. Oh, and I think the music is quite good myself.

I think it's important to keep in mind that Rygar is a 1987 NES game, so it's right on that turning point where NES games went from being relatively small, straightforward, and arcade-y, to being more sophisticated, expansive, and modern, and there was a period of growing pains in between. Look at the first Castlevania and Mega Man games, those are '87 releases too, and compare them to the later releases in their respective series. They too lack the conveniences and sophistication we came to except later on, like, namely, passwords or saving. Rygar fits within its era, and while you could dismiss all releases from that time, I'd rather just immerse myself in the mentality of what was expected and acceptable back then and roll with it.
    Pretty much how I view it. It's easy to go back and just a game now, but if you judge it compared to other games of the time, it's a pretty decent game. My only issue with it is while playing with a friend of mine, we made it all the way through, almost to the end and died. Apparently when you die you lose all the items you've acquired, making it insanely hard to beat the last boss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was talking to a friend of mine who grew up with the NES and he holds Rygar in high regard, heck, even my fiancee does since she grew up with the game as well. But I don't know, I just can't get into it hence why my review of it was uncomplimentary. I know it's an important game in the NES library though, hence why I own it, but I probably won't try playing this game again for a few years at least since there are other titles that are calling for my time.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, so says the loser. Go ahead and read the slew of commenters who have praised the blog, just read the comments buddy and then cry to your parents when you're done. I chose my name without knowing someone had a similar name, big whoop. I like it as does the 400k strong who visit my blog on the daily, so take that to bed with you tonight.

Some people just love to complain...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

In all fairness you don't have to like or dislike Rygar, so more power to you!

I think with many of these older games, if you didn't play them at the time, it's hard to see the value in them now, out of their original context, after decades of progress (technological, gameplay, etc). For some reason I was in love with the game in 1988, so perhaps nostalgia clouds my judgment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Champion View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

In all fairness you don't have to like or dislike Rygar, so more power to you!

I think with many of these older games, if you didn't play them at the time, it's hard to see the value in them now, out of their original context, after decades of progress (technological, gameplay, etc). For some reason I was in love with the game in 1988, so perhaps nostalgia clouds my judgment.
    It's strange though because I'm absolutely loving games for the NES that I've never spent time and played before with games like Adventure Island and Astyanax being two that I can't put down now, but for some reason Rygar just doesn't do it for me. I suppose since I grew up with Pac-Man on the 2600 it helps that I still enjoy it today because I loved it so much as a kid, but if someone picked it up and played it today it wouldn't work out for them I'm sure. Nostalgia and years of time with a game can beef up it's play value in one's eyes, which is cool and it isn't like I hate Rygar or those who enjoy it. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

Haha, so says the loser. Go ahead and read the slew of commenters who have praised the blog, just read the comments buddy and then cry to your parents when you're done. I chose my name without knowing someone had a similar name, big whoop. I like it as does the 400k strong who visit my blog on the daily, so take that to bed with you tonight.

Some people just love to complain...
    I unconditionally hate people like you and there's not a forum post nor blog comment in the world that could change my opinion on this.

EDIT: With that said, I agree with the article and RYGAR hurt my eyes. My cousin had it and a few others and it seemed to be the only NES title he'd consistently bring to my house to play.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FFStudios View Post
    I unconditionally hate people like you and there's not a forum post nor blog comment in the world that could change my opinion on this.

EDIT: With that said, I agree with the article and RYGAR hurt my eyes. My cousin had it and a few others and it seemed to be the only NES title he'd consistently bring to my house to play.
    The problem is these threads that he splatters everywhere are so forced it is funny. I understand he wants to become the next internet star but that sure isn't going to happen.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

To be honest, when I first read through the thread, I got the vibe that this was some 15 year old kid trying to dredge his way into a popular classic gaming forum with his own toss. Then I decided to click the blog post, and if the YouTube widget is correct, it's some middle aged man with a beard and a knack for wearing sunglasses indoors.

So much for that 400k viewership, right?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

This is basically everything people complain about Castlevania 2 but worse. It's far more difficult to find out what to do, there's no password system, very high enemy respawn rate, and whenever dying it always brings you to the beginning of a stage entrance because of parts you can get stuck at. It's certainly not the worst game on the NES, but it's not up there with the best of them. I've beaten Castlevania 2 without help, and I'm one of those people who actually enjoy the game, but this game I've only got as far as getting the grappling hook and quit a bit of a ways after, never did try and get into the game again. Using the grappling hook you'll get to areas that you can see, but also areas that looks as if you can't go any further or you're on a ledge you don't see why it's there, only to shoot your grabbling hook off screen and pull yourself up.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Anabolic steroids cause testicular atrophy in men and will stop ovulation and menstruation in women. So, no they actually cause infertility

I didn't watch the video. After reading some of the comments here, I'm glad I didn't.
    Haha, this analytical breakdown of that stupid analogy/"joke" cracked me up more than it should have.

Remember when this board had ACTUAL discussion topics and not just veiled attempts at advertising the creations of people who want to be the next AVGN? Those were the good ol' days. Sometimes I reply to these sorts of topics, but I never click the links.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, this game is beloved more than I truly expected it to be. Over the past day and a half I've talked to at least 3 close friends who enjoyed it back in the day, my fiancee had noted that she enjoyed it as a kid, and its getting praise on a couple different forums at the moment. I guess it was more revered than I thought it was, which if fine because people will like what they like and that's cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rygar is rough around the edges but it was one of my favorite games when I was a kid.