Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RYGAR for the NES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    "Rygar for the Nintendo Entertainment System gives the player a 3 hit life bar..
    Umm, play the game a while and see that the initial 3-hit life bar expands, I think to 8 hits by the time the game is over. So much for glossing over a game before reviewing it.

Quote Originally Posted by FFStudios View Post

So much for that 400k viewership, right?
    Wow. Busted. Can't be trusted.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Umm, play the game a while and see that the initial 3-hit life bar expands, I think to 8 hits by the time the game is over. So much for glossing over a game before reviewing it.

Wow. Busted. Can't be trusted.
    Actually that's just profile views, not individual blog views. Anyone who has ever used blogger knows that they offer complete blog view statistics, I have 870 views today alone among two blog entries. 455,786 total blog visits for the blogs lifetime.

So as much as I "glossed" over the game you people "gloss" over pure statistics.

I can't believe some people on this forum are incapable of holding a conversation about a video game and choose to lash out at people instead. This thread is about a video game, or can you people not read properly? Hmmmm.

Back on topic please.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

part of the conversation is your lack of actually playing the game and just jumping to a conclusion that is it poo (such an adult word) and the fact that your threads are tossed out here so you can feel happy inside.

reviewing a game you haven't spent any time with just doesn't work. Hell if I reviewed any of my SMS games, minus a few, they'd all be pretty poor as I haven't spent more than 5 or 10 minutes with them and I'm sure I'd get a hell of a lot of flak for that.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What was it about Rygar that made you all enjoy it? What are your memories with it?

Let's discuss the game and what it means to you.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What did I enjoy about NES Rygar? That the hit bar expanded as the game progressed. Also, that the game provided a nice variety of enemies and level scenery.

Memories? I recall spending literally hours at a time mastering the various levels, until finally beating the final winged boss. The lack of saves meant really dedicating some time to this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    What did I enjoy about NES Rygar? That the hit bar expanded as the game progressed. Also, that the game provided a nice variety of enemies and level scenery.

Memories? I recall spending literally hours at a time mastering the various levels, until finally beating the final winged boss. The lack of saves meant really dedicating some time to this game.
    The lack of being able to save was an issue for me because with work and a nagging fiancee I can't spend more than an hour or two with a game unless its on a day off. I have heard the final boss was insanely hard, I may look him up on YouTube or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The game isn't that hard - the last stretch of the game is easily the hardest part and even it's not that hard if you've kept leveling up normally - and it can be beaten in an hour or two if you don't have much time to play.

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    Actually that's just profile views, not individual blog views. Anyone who has ever used blogger knows that they offer complete blog view statistics, I have 870 views today alone among two blog entries. 455,786 total blog visits for the blogs lifetime.
    Sorry dear, but you can't escape the hole you dug yourself that quickly. Don't you remember what your original post said? If you don't, let me refresh your mind:

. I like it as does the 400k strong who visit my blog on the daily, so take that to bed with you tonight.
    EDIT: To make it perfectly clear, I don't care who you are or what you do. But because you're so focused in on ~the real truth~, I'm setting the record straight.
    Last edited by FFStudios; 07-25-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It had great graphics for 1987. I used to rent it periodically as a kid and it took Game Genie codes to finally beat it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by FFStudios View Post
    Then I decided to click the blog post, and if the YouTube widget is correct, it's some middle aged man with a beard and a knack for wearing sunglasses indoors.
    Wow, I really did figure he was 15. Good catch, I see it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

The lack of being able to save was an issue for me because with work and a nagging fiancee I can't spend more than an hour or two with a game unless its on a day off. I have heard the final boss was insanely hard, I may look him up on YouTube or something.
    Actually the final boss is very easy in rygar once you reach the level cap,it doesn't take much.

Btw ever watch the hvgn gettin' super nerdy look at rygar ? Then again i wasn't expecting to see him say it's a terrible game.Watch the whole video 'he does give tips that make it a simpler game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FjuLc5Kvec
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 08-04-2013 at 03:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Actually the final boss is very easy in rygar once you reach the level cap,it doesn't take much.

Btw ever watch the hvgn gettin' super nerdy look at rygar ? Then again wasn't expecting to see him say it's a terrible game.Watch the whole video 'he does give tips that make it a simpler game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FjuLc5Kvec
    Thanks, I'll check it out!

I did check out a few of the end boss battles on YouTube last night just for kicks, seems like the boss isn't too crazy. Maybe someday soon I will revisit the game and use Game Genie or something to experience the game on its entirety.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Haha, this analytical breakdown of that stupid analogy/"joke" cracked me up more than it should have.

Remember when this board had ACTUAL discussion topics and not just veiled attempts at advertising the creations of people who want to be the next AVGN? Those were the good ol' days. Sometimes I reply to these sorts of topics, but I never click the links.
    I still like to pretend that people actually want to talk about playing games on here and not just hoarding them. Call me crazy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I still like to pretend that people actually want to talk about playing games on here and not just hoarding them. Call me crazy...
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Insert Coin (Level 0) StarMan_NES's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rygar wasn't that bad if a game, but like with many side scrolling NES titles of its time it suffered from a few drawbacks but at the end of the day it was pretty enjoyable. I've never beaten it, sadly, but I've played deep into it a couple of times and had some fun and I did find the game got a lot easier as I progressed through. I would still rather put time into playing other scrolling adventure titles like Castlevania or Faxanadu, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Rygar was one of my early NES games back in the 80s. I didn't "love" it back then, but played it because coming across games was tough back then. Yeah it's long... and I hated the GRINDING aspect to it. I was never able to beat the final boss either (probably because I didn't grind enough). It's definitely a game that I would consider "has not aged well" and too much of a time investment to play today for people with too many other commitments. As said earlier, probably best played with some sort of emulator in order to save and play in more manageable chunks.

I'd also like to add that it was another one of those NES games that didn't resemble the arcade version much. I was first introduced to the arcade version. Similarly, I hated Ninja Gaiden at first because it was nothing like the arcade version, which I loved. However in time I came to appreciate the NES interpretation. It was also better imho for them to re-design these games to something more doable given the constraints of the NES, rather than come up with a very poor port.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 08-03-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, so says the loser. Go ahead and read the slew of commenters who have praised the blog, just read the comments buddy and then cry to your parents when you're done. I chose my name without knowing someone had a similar name, big whoop. I like it as does the 400k strong who visit my blog on the daily, so take that to bed with you tonight.

Some people just love to complain...
    Ugh. Man, enough is enough.

I know for a FACT that you delete negative comments from your blog, because I've had some deleted.

To be honest, it's quite obvious that you're only here to promote yourself (read: SPAM). I can't believe you're still getting away with it.

Your blog is poorly written, your opinions aren't that complex, engaging, or well thought out, and I agree with the dude who said that in general, your whole act is unoriginal and stupid.

I wouldn't have publicly posted something like this until you took the low road and called him a loser and then bragged about great comments that you get.

I'll repeat, for 100% sure, that this guy completely censors any negative comments on his blog.

And if you get 400k hits, it's because you spam your site constantly, not because it's good. Your writing skills are literally on the level of a middle school student at best. It's a joke.
    Last edited by CastlevaniaDude; 08-06-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CastlevaniaDude View Post
    Ugh. Man, enough is enough.

I know for a FACT that you delete negative comments from your blog, because I've had some deleted.

To be honest, it's quite obvious that you're only here to promote yourself (read: SPAM). I can't believe you're still getting away with it.

Your blog is poorly written, your opinions aren't that complex, engaging, or well thought out, and I agree with the dude who said that in general, your whole act is unoriginal and stupid.

I wouldn't have publicly posted something like this until you took the low road and called him a loser and then bragged about great comments that you get.

I'll repeat, for 100% sure, that this guy completely censors any negative comments on his blog.

And if you get 400k hits, it's because you spam your site constantly, not because it's good. Your writing skills are literally on the level of a middle school student at best. It's a joke.
    thank god someone else has said this and I'm not the only one.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    thank god someone else has said this and I'm not the only one.
    I reported the thread to mods, hopefully they see it and ban this guy once and for all. He offers nothing to the community and is a serial spammer.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's not particularly against the rules to promote yourself around here, particularly if you're starting a lively conversation as well. Say what you will about the way TheRetroVideoGameAddict elects to conduct himself, his self promotion threads have all generally had decent conversations mixed in with the bitching.

I'd much rather the lot of you tone down the douche a bit (and, yes, I do see the hypocrisy in me saying that) than have a mod running around with the DKjr. lock in one hand and the banhammer in the other.

Although, that is kind of a funny visual.