Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Even Accurate? Asalieri Targets the Repro-Makers

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is this Even Accurate? Asalieri Targets the Repro-Makers

Now, i am not sure if this may be the right board for talking about this, but i really want to share my intrigue.

Eric "Asalieri" Gaede, the man who become infamous for committing slandering and defamation towards James Rolfe with the AVGN Movie Fundraiser & The Cheetahman 2 Kickstarter, the gusy who is known to be a complete sneaky guy with an agenda, the guy who attempted to sabotage Channel Awesome in 2011, has now targeted the main 3 Repro Makers on the Internet.

TimeWalk Games
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBlsF8uXB8U

NES Reproductions
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQDLjGG0kTU

Game Reprouctions
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOVEGgCDEIc

I Have seen his 3 videos and honestly they all seem very sneaky and cherrypicky, what also raise my eyebrow is that he actually recommended the people from NintendoAge, which i know they arent popular around here.

My question is, if you allow this to get into discussion, how much accurate his claims are?, specially if some of you have been using the services of these 3 well known groups?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So let me get this straight. These guys make repros and promote other "small" operations, but hate on the "big" sites that make repros because they're able to make nice things such as boxes, manuals, etc?

Sounds like a classic case of ujelly to me. Mad because someone else is capable of making a premium product while their plain old cart with a cheap-o label is just the same crap that anyone with zero talent and a few bucks to spend on cheap hardware can produce.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I really can't be bothered to listen to these two hypocrites ramble on for more than a few minutes, let alone an hour or more.

edit: watched a few more minutes of the time walk video while taking a shit. These guys are useless. Cry babies at best, and totally not worth anyone's time in my opinion. You'd be better off spending your time reading an article about the merits of pumpkin catapults.
    Last edited by wiggyx; 07-24-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    So let me get this straight. These guys make repros and promote other "small" operations, but hate on the "big" sites that make repros because they're able to make nice things such as boxes, manuals, etc?

Sounds like a classic case of ujelly to me. Mad because someone else is capable of making a premium product while their plain old cart with a cheap-o label is just the same crap that anyone with zero talent and a few bucks to spend on cheap hardware can produce.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I really can't be bothered to listen to these two hypocrites ramble on for more than a few minutes, let alone an hour or more.
    I only watched first video, but I didn't understand their complaints either. The only possible valid complaint they possibly had was legality, but then the one guy says he makes repros so I am not sure how he could even complain about that. As far as the site's business practices, as long as they aren't ripping people off I don't see the problem. It seems their policies are pretty clear. If the customers don't like them then they shouldn't be buying from them. Also the idea that they should just hire more people is easier said than done. I am in a similar position with EverDrives at the moment and I have contracted out work and am working on getting more people to help, but there is a lot involved in this.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

World Class Internet User Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I'm usually okay with Asa, but he has his moments where he seems to rant for the sake of ranting. I thought he was pretty accurate with his criticism of James' support of the Cheetahmen 2 fundraiser, but on the other hand I think he was in the wrong for complaining about donations for his movie.

Unfortunately, here he seems to be ranting for the sake of propping up his repro making buddy.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    You'd be better off spending your time reading an article about the merits of pumpkin catapults.[/i]
    Oh, I'm sure these guys would do a three-part series on how the medieval style trebuchets are FAR superior to the compressed air cannons that they use in the Punkin Chunkin championship and how those things are ruining the sport.

I'm officially at the point in my life where most YouTube "exposes" of this nature make me want to hurl myself out a third story window on to a rusty Victorian gate spike.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Gatucaman View Post
    Easily 3 of the worst internet reviews I have ever seen.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The two guys in the those videos are dick shits and deserve to choke on Shaq Fu carts.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

thank you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwario64 View Post
    Yeah, I'm usually okay with Asa, but he has his moments where he seems to rant for the sake of ranting. I thought he was pretty accurate with his criticism of James' support of the Cheetahmen 2 fundraiser, but on the other hand I think he was in the wrong for complaining about donations for his movie.

Unfortunately, here he seems to be ranting for the sake of propping up his repro making buddy.
    Dude, you don't even know how much Wrong and misinformation Asa was spewing regarding James, you are invited to do some research over certain blogs and find out the truth, that honestly does not put Asalieri in a good light, Trust me when i say that his criticisms aren't really criticism, as much as it was slander, distorting evidence and information, and forcing people to believe what he says and attack and shun other people who disagrees.

Heck, you can read some of the stuff (in the comment section) on Irate Gamer Sucks articles from August 4 & 11 from 2012

That terrible mouth taste flavor shouldn't be discussed here if you ask me, but i just brought it up, because, if you look closely, you will find out, Asalieri doesn't really have that much of a trustworthiest reputation and should ALWAYS be taken into consideration, and quite frankly, this is no exception, because it comes down to, Who is he in position to Rant like this?.

And Even tough Asa and most of his companions are known to be trolls, the Issue is that unfortunately and sadly, They have Way too much influence on people, specially their fanbases, and my fear is that his views might create a huge damage in people like us or others who have purchased stuff from those guys, and trust me, I know what i am talking about when i say, that, you REALLY SHOULDN'T trust anything that comes from the mouth of this "person".
    Last edited by Gatucaman; 07-24-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeGamer View Post
    I only watched first video, but I didn't understand their complaints either. The only possible valid complaint they possibly had was legality, but then the one guy says he makes repros so I am not sure how he could even complain about that. As far as the site's business practices, as long as they aren't ripping people off I don't see the problem. It seems their policies are pretty clear. If the customers don't like them then they shouldn't be buying from them. Also the idea that they should just hire more people is easier said than done. I am in a similar position with EverDrives at the moment and I have contracted out work and am working on getting more people to help, but there is a lot involved in this.
    Man, I hear ya. I can produce up to 2 Earthbound Zero shells a day with the 3D printer and that's if I have absolutely no issues along the way, which is a pipe dream. One per day is about all I can realistically expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Oh, I'm sure these guys would do a three-part series on how the medieval style trebuchets are FAR superior to the compressed air cannons that they use in the Punkin Chunkin championship and how those things are ruining the sport.

I'm officially at the point in my life where most YouTube "exposes" of this nature make me want to hurl myself out a third story window on to a rusty Victorian gate spike.
    !

I'm officially too old to watch hours of nerds ranting about who cares what. Not to mention how ignorant and plain old incorrect they are so much of the time. They really should spend more than 2 minutes researching what they plan to rant about and drop the old "I know everything about copyright law" game that so many folks on the web play.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I watched half of the first video, and couldn't take anymore. Maybe these guys get around to making some valid points, but their presentation is unbearable.

I have no real issues with repro game businesses. It does bother me a little bit to think about them selling hacks and translations that the creators have explicitly said they do not want to be sold.

However, these hack and translation authors are already infringing on the copyrights of the original publishers when they load their ROMs up in an emulator, or play them on homebrewed repro carts.

They want to cherry pick their notions of what's right and wrong. And maybe they should. But to me, there's no honor among thieves. If you hack a game, don't complain when somebody steals it from you and does whatever they want with it.

And then there's the whole notion of destroying working games to make repros. I don't support that, but I can see the other side. It's easy enough to create PCBs and cases from scratch, it's just more expensive.

EDIT: The guy on the left has a much better video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v9aL...zy1U_2&index=1

Talking about how he thinks it's hypocritical for some repro makers to come down on people reselling the games they buy from them. I'm in agreement.
    Last edited by Jack_Burton_BYOAC; 07-24-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    However, these hack and translation authors are already infringing on the copyrights of the original publishers when they load their ROMs up in an emulator, or play them on homebrewed repro carts.

They want to cherry pick their notions of what's right and wrong. And maybe they should. But to me, there's no honor among thieves. If you hack a game, don't complain when somebody steals it from you and does whatever they want with it.
    The difference, obviously, being that the hacks and translations are (in most cases, at least) created as hobbyist works distributed as ROMs/patches for free, and in most cases were originally privately distributed among small communities. Calling that thievery is something I'd consider warped and insulting, especially when compared to people selling repro carts of someone else's work on eBay for triple-digit prices, ripping off both the ROM hacker and the purchaser. You'd essentially be calling anyone who used a Game Genie or Action Replay a "thief", since the entire point of those devices were to hack games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) CatTehBus's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think they are upset that reproduction makers are "websiteing" themselves rather than sell on a forum and that they are a business but they don't act like a business. I've always thought of reproduction carts as commissions so it doesn't matter how much the materials used would have cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    The difference, obviously, being that the hacks and translations are (in most cases, at least) created as hobbyist works distributed as ROMs/patches for free, and in most cases were originally privately distributed among small communities. Calling that thievery is something I'd consider warped and insulting, especially when compared to people selling repro carts of someone else's work on eBay for triple-digit prices, ripping off both the ROM hacker and the purchaser. You'd essentially be calling anyone who used a Game Genie or Action Replay a "thief", since the entire point of those devices were to hack games.
    A game genie or action replay doesn't circumvent copyright when used.

The hacking isn't the point of the hypocrisy, it's the the fact that you must use an original ROM file in order to play the hacks. The hackers are committing a type of theft, and then complaining when someone steals from them. Am I simplifying things a bit much? Maybe, but it's enough that I can say if someone were to ever steal my own derived works (which are in other hobbies) I wouldn't have anything to say.

The more convincing point I think hack authors could make is they don't want the game companies getting wind of things and coming down on them for someone else selling their game.
    Last edited by Jack_Burton_BYOAC; 07-25-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

"...because I worked at Dominos for 11 years..."

lol

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Not knowing who this Asalieri guy is, I did some Google'en. It's fairly telling, I think, that the first two things that pop up are an Encyclopedia Dramatica article and this very topic.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

My issue here is that these guys are bashing websites they've never even ordered from.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A game genie or action replay doesn't circumvent copyright when used.
    This is actually a heavily contested idea, especially by first parties who have basically done everything possible to prevent "Cheat" devices from being operatable on modern gaming setups. To them, a hack is a hack is a hack. These companies also attempted to crack down on people who modify their legally purchased hardware in the privacy of their own homes. Do you not see where the concept of ownership is being stretched to unreasonability?

The hacking isn't the point of the hypocrisy, it's the the fact that you must use an original ROM file in order to play the hacks.
    The mere existence of ROMs doesn't immediately assume piracy, you know. How many people do you honestly think played a Super Mario World hack that never touched the original cartridge? This applies even to fan translated games, since much of the reason they'd be fan translated in the first place is because of fans who've been playing the games for years in Japanese.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well guys, i actually contacted the guy in the video, Protitus, and i asked him how much for a Repro of Sweet Home, and how much will be for Shipping to Mexico, This is what i got.

I DID NOT FAKE ANY OF THIS, i just blurred my name.

And then i proceed to talk to the guy behind NesReproductions and here, i compiled in one image our conversation (with his permission of course, thanks), I did not edited ANY of the text.

image shack

And here i was thinking that guy protitus did sell cheaper, and i could get a sweet home repro for less than 20 dollars, i know that might be impossible, but here, i cant sent donor carts because of the corrupt fees people ask for sending stuff from this city.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    This is actually a heavily contested idea, especially by first parties who have basically done everything possible to prevent "Cheat" devices from being operatable on modern gaming setups. To them, a hack is a hack is a hack. These companies also attempted to crack down on people who modify their legally purchased hardware in the privacy of their own homes. Do you not see where the concept of ownership is being stretched to unreasonability?

The mere existence of ROMs doesn't immediately assume piracy, you know. How many people do you honestly think played a Super Mario World hack that never touched the original cartridge? This applies even to fan translated games, since much of the reason they'd be fan translated in the first place is because of fans who've been playing the games for years in Japanese.
    Your first point is taken.

I remember in the past quite a few people insisted on clauses talking about having the right to a back-up copy at home, but in the end most of the people in the scene agreed that it was just as illegal to play a ROM when owning the original game as it was under any other circumstances. USA only, of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your first point is taken.

I remember in the past quite a few people insisted on clauses talking about having the right to a back-up copy at home, but in the end most of the people in the scene agreed that it was just as illegal to play a ROM when owning the original game as it was under any other circumstances. USA only, of course.
    This is correct as far as I understand.

However you can make back-ups of your own games and play the back-ups. You just can't distribute these copies in any way. This law is more in place to stop people from distributing rather than preventing people from obtaining back-ups of media they own.

In the end, it has become pretty obvious that these game companies are not that concerned with people pirating old games or making repros, they are concerned with new games being pirated.

They were right in the first video, its just not even worth the legal fees to bother with this type of stuff. They could send cease and desist (which still cost legal fees), but they are really gaining nothing by doing it because in reality they aren't losing money by the repro-makers being in business. The only reason to send a cease and desist in this case would be purely out of principle and most businesses don't operate on principles alone (or at all). Its all about whether they can make money or are losing money from something. If neither is true, its not worth their time.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com