Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fez 2 Canceled Because of Twitter

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Fez 2 Canceled Because of Twitter

Apparently Phil Fish has canceled Fez 2 because some guy criticized him. Is this the dumbest reason to cancel a game?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

I hadn't heard of this story before, and I'm more than a little skeptical about it. There's probably another reason for its cancellation, but rather than admitting that, he went with a Twitter excuse.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422377,00.asp

Sounds like Mr. Fish took his ball and went home, sobbing all the way.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422377,00.asp

Sounds like Mr. Fish took his ball and went home, sobbing all the way.
    You just have to watch Indie Game the Movie, and then you start understanding Mr. Fish's way of live. He's a loser, a problematic person. Compared to the guys at Team Meat (of Super Meat Boy fame), he's a complete douchebag.

Just watch the documentary, it's really plain to see.

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

Picking on Phil Fish is like picking on the kid who cries after being hit in dodgeball. His ego is up there with the best of them, but he just can't seem to keep his ducks in a row long enough to avoid stuff like this. I'm glad FEZ II is canceled because I'm hoping Renaud can ditch this fool and continue being an awesome game artist.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Wow, what a thin-skinned douche. This guy wouldn't last a week in the neo geo forums.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shame, because Fez was a great game.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

And nothing of value was lost.

Fez took five years to come out, and had the most pretentious and childish developer in recent memory behind it. I know people say that the media hates on Phil Fish a lot, but he deserves every single bit of criticism he gets and cannot be excused of anything that he pulls. Glad that we don't have to suffer with either his games or his ego any more.
    Last edited by Tupin; 07-28-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To be fair, great swaths of the Internet have been dumping on him incessantly. I would be getting pretty sick of it too.

"So he should just stop talking and stick to making games!" is the obvious answer. But it seems to me that if one is passionate about something, one is not likely to stop talking about it so easily.

What I don't understand is what exactly he is going to do now. Take up consulting? Set to work designing middleware SQL backends for e-businesses? It seems unlikely.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    To be fair, great swaths of the Internet have been dumping on him incessantly. I would be getting pretty sick of it too.

"So he should just stop talking and stick to making games!" is the obvious answer. But it seems to me that if one is passionate about something, one is not likely to stop talking about it so easily.

What I don't understand is what exactly he is going to do now. Take up consulting? Set to work designing middleware SQL backends for e-businesses? It seems unlikely.
    You can have a big mouth if you make good games and deliver. People are going to hate you, sure, but it won't really matter when your games are still good. The creator of Bayonetta constantly antagonizes people on Twitter who ask him questions he deems stupid, but no one cares because he made Bayonetta.

Phil Fish and Fez is more like John Romero and Daikatana. In fact, I wager that if Twitter were around when Daikatana was a big thing, Romero would have acted similar to Fish. But hey, at least Romero made Wolfenstein and Doom. It's like the guy who made the Epic Mickey games complaining about the criticism. Maybe if you had made a GOOD game, people wouldn't have complained? Fez would have blown minds had it come out in 2007. Too little, too late.

I really, really, really do not like developers complaining on Twitter. You're working in an industry that is struggling to be taken professionally, and telling people to "suck my dick and choke on it" isn't going to make you the next Gabe Newell. Be the bigger man.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post

Handling the fame is part of the game! Seriously, if he's that easily angered he shouldn't be on social media. Only use it as a PR tool, and never reply to any of the asshats who try to bash you. It's not complicated.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know there's a bit of generalization in saying this, but this is part of what I don't like about the indie game scene. Too much ego and overall snobbery, in addition to hypersensitivity to criticism. It's not everyone that's doing it, but you see it come to the forefront a lot more often in this area of gaming because the teams are small and usually the vision of one or two guys (not that that's a bad thing in itself, of course). The bottom line is that it's really unprofessional. Show some restraint for once.

Fez is one of those games that I honestly didn't want to play because of Fish's disrespectful attitude, which is a shame. Now there's this, and all it really does is hurt the fans. Kinda hard for me to imagine forking over money to this guy for his game when this is how he acts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sulz View Post
    I know there's a bit of generalization in saying this, but this is part of what I don't like about the indie game scene. Too much ego and overall snobbery, in addition to hypersensitivity to criticism. It's not everyone that's doing it, but you see it come to the forefront a lot more often in this area of gaming because the teams are small and usually the vision of one or two guys (not that that's a bad thing in itself, of course). The bottom line is that it's really unprofessional. Show some restraint for once.

Fez is one of those games that I honestly didn't want to play because of Fish's disrespectful attitude, which is a shame. Now there's this, and all it really does is hurt the fans. Kinda hard for me to imagine forking over money to this guy for his game when this is how he acts.
    It's part of the reason why I laugh at the "indie revolution" or similar terms. Has the tendency to be a movement with more ego and desire for art than making a fun game. There has to be a middle ground between EA Origin type evil villain developers and snobs like Fish. This black/white view is just making all games coming out from anyone look the same.

The big guys put out the same brown FPS year in year out, and the little guys with put out the same "retro inspired" platformer/Zelda clone again and again. It's even more hilarious when they make fun of the big guys for lack of new ideas.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    It's part of the reason why I laugh at the "indie revolution" or similar terms. Has the tendency to be a movement with more ego and desire for art than making a fun game. There has to be a middle ground between EA Origin type evil villain developers and snobs like Fish. This black/white view is just making all games coming out from anyone look the same.

The big guys put out the same brown FPS year in year out, and the little guys with put out the same "retro inspired" platformer/Zelda clone again and again. It's even more hilarious when they make fun of the big guys for lack of new ideas.
    You must not be looking very hard.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The guy's a manchild, and I'm sure the game isn't truly cancelled. He's just fishing (to make a bad pun) for pity and praise from his diehard fanboys. Then when people beg him to make Fez 2, he'll feel all big and mighty again. And it may just be a publicity stunt, if he's of the mind that any publicity is good publicity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good to know douchebag based jock culture is still alive and well in the video game industry. Lets insult and belittle legitimate artists some more.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Good to know douchebag based jock culture is still alive and well in the video game industry. Lets insult and belittle legitimate artists some more.
    Hey, if Fish made the game he promised, no one would be complaining. But he could never make that, he hyped it and himself up too much.

And besides, there's many, many, MANY people who want to break into the industry. Do we really need a pretentious and obnoxious jerk with such flagrant disregard for his roots such as this?

And therefore, I reiterate: nothing of value is lost.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Like how he insults and belittles others?

I wouldn't even know this guy's name if he didn't act like such a jerk online. He's made that reputation himself with his own choices. If he wanted to improve his reputation, he'd act like a professional, mature adult and not continuously get into flame wars and spout childish nonsense. That's kind of Business 101 when representing a company/product. Don't alienate your customers.

And being an artist isn't a free pass to be a jerk, nor does it mean that it's impossible to be a jerk. Artists are just like anybody else. Some are good people, some aren't.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post

What a shitbag. I'm sure if I showed this Metro Last Light on my PC with 2 GeForce Titans and an i7 CPU running at 60FPS with max settings he'd say it "sucks" and the 360 is better.

And I agree with the sentiment that Fez didn't warrant all the bad attitude shit talking he did, and being an "artist" doesn't excuse bad behavior.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Guys, I have read some of your opinions and if he took too seriously the internet and was criticized for that, YOU TOO are taking the internet and HIM too seriously ...

Why get mad because he said if the PC was for spreadsheets of that Japanese games sucked ? ... isn't the same position he is taking ?

Everyone of us posting online about the things we love, like gaming, tend to be too much passionate about and tend to take a few statements a bit too personal, we should know more about the person on the other side of the keyboard and be a little less aggressive when some people thinks and writes ideas that we totally disagree with.

He has the right to express his thoughts and I think is very good that he does not have any filter on the stuff he writes, I prefer that to the usual PR and business driven comments of almost every developer.

The guy may be seen as a "diva" but those characters are welcome on the development community as long as they make good games.

... its a shame that the internet summons the worst of many people and many kids and adults spend too much time criticizing ANYTHING ... we can be more mature about this than Phil Fish, if you don't like his attitude, just ignore him ... but don't let that stop you from checking FEZ if you haven't tried it yet.
    Last edited by eskobar; 07-29-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!