1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Pikmin 3 is out!

I downloaded Pikmin 3 today and I'm really loving it so far. It's clever, fun, and would be a great game to play with kids. Anybody else try it so far? I really have no complaints about it so far (though I wish they could have gotten it running at 60 fps.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a big fan of the series and read the reviews, looks interesting enough.

Big problem though, I don't own a Wii U and am not willing to purchase it until a price drop. I'll add this to the backlog and hopefully get a chance to play it within the next year.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

The relative inactivity of this thread about a fairly major release speaks volumes. This is the first Pikmin game in 8 years and it really puts that stupid gamepad to good use. Not to mention, this is probably the most visually impressive game Nintendo has released to date.

And nobody cares. Scary.

Well, I'm continuing to enjoy it. If you've got a wii u and you don't have this game, you're seriously missing out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    The relative inactivity of this thread about a fairly major release speaks volumes. This is the first Pikmin game in 8 years and it really puts that stupid gamepad to good use. Not to mention, this is probably the most visually impressive game Nintendo has released to date.

And nobody cares. Scary.

Well, I'm continuing to enjoy it. If you've got a wii u and you don't have this game, you're seriously missing out.
    That's the thing, it looks great to be honest. However not great enough to make a hardware purchase for me.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, it's the most interesting Wii U release to me thus far, but still not a system-seller. Another thing that has me hesitant is that, while I enjoyed Pikmin 2, I thought it was a downgrade compared to the original. Besides the concept being old news (while the first game felt so fresh and original), the lack of any kind of challenge or urgency (which the original's time limit provided) made fetching items feel more like busywork, as opposed to the strategizing of the original which had me repeating days until I could pull off everything I wanted to do perfectly. The randomly generated areas were also kinda bleh. I much prefer the carefully crafted areas of the original. I'm not sure if Pikmin 3 has randomly generated areas or not, but I have heard that the challenge is pretty nonexistent (I hear running out of juice is the only real threat and supposedly it's easy to stock up on a ton) so that makes me wonder if it'll feel more like Pikmin 2 than the original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    That's the thing, it looks great to be honest. However not great enough to make a hardware purchase for me.
    Exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Well, it's the most interesting Wii U release to me thus far, but still not a system-seller. Another thing that has me hesitant is that, while I enjoyed Pikmin 2, I thought it was a downgrade compared to the original. Besides the concept being old news (while the first game felt so fresh and original), the lack of any kind of challenge or urgency (which the original's time limit provided) made fetching items feel more like busywork, as opposed to the strategizing of the original which had me repeating days until I could pull off everything I wanted to do perfectly. The randomly generated areas were also kinda bleh.
    And this too. I enjoyed the variety in the types of Pikmin in Pikmin 2 (more classes), but the underground areas felt like more of a chore than fun. I wouldn't say it was a downgrade to the original, but it took a step forward and a step backward.

Bottom line, Pikmin 3 is the most appealing title on the Wii U for me, but still not enough for me to buy a system. It seems than many others feel the same way.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a diehard Nintendo fan and I love my Wii U. I think what has held me back on getting this is the $59.99 price tag. I really want to play it but I sorely miss the original Wii days when every first party release was $49.99 (or less). I plan on getting it, I guess I'm just holding out hope for a sale sometime in the near future...
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Well, it's the most interesting Wii U release to me thus far, but still not a system-seller. Another thing that has me hesitant is that, while I enjoyed Pikmin 2, I thought it was a downgrade compared to the original. Besides the concept being old news (while the first game felt so fresh and original), the lack of any kind of challenge or urgency (which the original's time limit provided) made fetching items feel more like busywork, as opposed to the strategizing of the original which had me repeating days until I could pull off everything I wanted to do perfectly. The randomly generated areas were also kinda bleh. I much prefer the carefully crafted areas of the original. I'm not sure if Pikmin 3 has randomly generated areas or not, but I have heard that the challenge is pretty nonexistent (I hear running out of juice is the only real threat and supposedly it's easy to stock up on a ton) so that makes me wonder if it'll feel more like Pikmin 2 than the original.
    I haven't played much of the first 2, but I can tell you that 3 has a (rather strict) time limit, which is what imposes most of the challenge. The challenge is less about getting killed and more about accomplishing your goals within the time limit (sometimes the puzzles are real head scrathers, too) and protecting your pikmin from the monsters....cuz if they all get eaten, you can't get anything done and have to spend your next day making more. The threat is more about lost time than lost progress.

The levels are not randomly generated, but once you pick an area to land in, you're stuck there for the day. It feels a bit like a Zelda game, where as you get more types of Pikmin or new items, you are able to revisit levels and access new areas with new items/bosses/etc. within them.

In addition, it really is visually impressive. The fruit almost look real, and some stills in the creeks and gardens look nearly photorealistic.

But as you said, the concept is old news, and probably won't push hardware sales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd have waited too at $60 but you do have to realize until players choice comes years later Nintendo will not lower the price on any first party game they both develop and publish, though it's fair to say much they only publish they slash after not very long looking back at the Wii.

I wasn't going to get it but I had this aging left over money on a target card and knocked it down to exactly what it would have cost pre HD w/tax to the penny. I got it last night, planning to hopefully make some time for it today.

The reason it probably isn't a huge thread here is that the WiiU hasn't sold huge due to that annoying fucked up drought all year long which is unacceptable, then the third parties playing unique awful games of 'grow a base then we make games' which spits in the face of any system previously and we know won't happen to the new sony system either in a few months. It's not easy having a WiiU, it's far less easy trying to buy one when it's like the drought and everyone else in third party land is out to get you basically which sucks.

Pikmin 3 I suspect will sell well as it can for now as there are a few million systems out there, but I think it will be one that picks up steam with time once the AAA hitters pop up in a few more months going into 1Q 2014. I imagine when they get double or more of the systems out there, more will look back to the earlier small sad library of games and grab it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'd have waited too at $60 but you do have to realize until players choice comes years later Nintendo will not lower the price on any first party game they both develop and publish, though it's fair to say much they only publish they slash after not very long looking back at the Wii.
    I know historically that has been how they do things but the times they are a changin:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Super-Mari...keywords=wii+u

$59.99 at launch, $44.31 right now...
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I haven't played much of the first 2, but I can tell you that 3 has a (rather strict) time limit, which is what imposes most of the challenge. The challenge is less about getting killed and more about accomplishing your goals within the time limit (sometimes the puzzles are real head scrathers, too) and protecting your pikmin from the monsters....cuz if they all get eaten, you can't get anything done and have to spend your next day making more. The threat is more about lost time than lost progress.
    By the "time limit" of the original game, I was referring to the 30-day limit, which gave the game a sense of urgency and created real consequences to playing poorly, in that you could screw yourself out of getting the best ending pretty easily and even the normal/good ending if you do really badly. All three games have you keeping an eye on the daily clock so that you don't needlessly lose Pikmin at night by forgetting about them, but in Pikmin 2, and I assume Pikmin 3, it really doesn't matter how well you plan out your actions if you have infinite days to grind up your Pikmin numbers.

The base concept is kind of tricky to design genuine challenge around, but I think the first Pikmin did it best, as much as some gamers whined that the time limit was too strict. Personally, as short as the original is, I feel the game is very replayable, and I was happy to replay the game to earn the best ending. I imagine I'll replay it more just for fun in the future; Pikmin 2, not so much. It took me a long time to 100% complete Pikmin 2 (over 40 hours, if I remember correctly), and with it occasionally feeling like busywork, I'm not so drawn to go back to it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

In Pikmin 3, it can go as long as you want only as long as you are able to find fruit.

That said, I'm quite enjoying it. I don't know how anyone could play with the GamePad, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    In Pikmin 3, it can go as long as you want only as long as you are able to find fruit.

That said, I'm quite enjoying it. I don't know how anyone could play with the GamePad, though.
    The "go here" function is quite useful on the pad. What are you playing it with? A wiimote or a pro controller?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bitNesMan View Post
    I'm a diehard Nintendo fan and I love my Wii U. I think what has held me back on getting this is the $59.99 price tag. I really want to play it but I sorely miss the original Wii days when every first party release was $49.99 (or less). I plan on getting it, I guess I'm just holding out hope for a sale sometime in the near future...
    Isn't there extra copies you can sell to make for the difference? I remember saving and scrounging every dollar I got in the summer of '94 just to buy Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers on SNES for $75.00 and me and my brother beat it in one night.

The whole "$60 = too expensive" argument is extremely silly especially with development cost skyrocketing to triple that of a ps2 games and selling at around a retail price we used to forced our parents to pay for NES games by Christmas in the 80's.
    Last edited by Press_Start; 08-09-2013 at 02:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Complaining about $60 may seem silly to you, but to others it can be seen either as a lot of money even to bother saving up, but also it's just a game and not everyone holds X game in the same cash value.

And to the $45 copy on amazon, that's amazon, and I'm speaking of retail in a real store. Short of an oddball Target or Best Buy sale or gift card from buying another item, I think my comment is still fair. Amazon can afford to do cracked out deals and make it up on other merchandise since they're so massive. Also isn't it another $4 for the shipping on that(slowest service) and then tax if the warehouse is in your state (which happens to me enough as a lot ships out of Campbellsville, KY which is east of here.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought Pikmin 3 a few days ago and it's wonderful. Clever, cute, and much more challenging than Pikmin 2. Not quite the same sense of urgency of the original game but they definitely upped the difficulty on it. I'm on day 7 of the game and I've already had to redo a couple days, which is a good thing I think. I understand that it's not a system seller for a lot of people but it's a real shame, it's a terrific game.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    The whole "$60 = too expensive" argument is extremely silly especially with development cost skyrocketing to triple that of a ps2 games and selling at around a retail price we used to forced our parents to pay for NES games by Christmas in the 80's.
    Final Fantasy 7 cost $45 million. That's $70 million today. Uncharted 2 is a pretty flashy game and it only costs $20 million.

Payday 2 isn't the best looking game, but still current gen looking. Hasn't been released yet, launching at $40, and with preorders alone it's already making a profit..

Don't let the developers bitching about how they're not making anything fool you. It's more than possible to turn a profit if you don't mismanage your funding or have someone within the company embezzling all your companies money.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't let the developers bitching about how they're not making anything fool you. It's more than possible to turn a profit if you don't mismanage your funding or have someone within the company embezzling all your companies money.
    Let me get this straight: you believe the wide-spread deconstruction/implosion of companies like Square-Enix, Capcom, 38 Studios, ThQ, and countless other studios losing money despite Capcom RE6 selling 4.1 million copies, SE's Sleeping Dogs, Hitman: Absolution, and Tomb Raiders selling 7-8 million, 38's Kingdom of Amalur 1.3 million, ThQ's Saint Row series and Darksiders series reaching a combined 11.5 and 3.5 million respectively each; despite any other generation pre-PS3 would consider a multimillion-selling game a virtual uber-gold mine tot the twelfth power squared, despite the fact HD development requiring double the workforce, triple the time, infinite x infinite the workload, on top of ads, overhead, retail, negotiations, etc, etc, etc,....and your rationale for all this is Bob the bad toupee accountant smuggling chump change from between the sofa cushions and Quicken?!

There's a word for people like you, kupo.....denial.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by _BIT_NES_MAN
    Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    The whole "$60 = too expensive" argument is extremely silly....
    People who don't want to / can't justify spending $60 on a game must be silly.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Put me in the minority, as usual. I bought a Wii U just to play Pikmin 3.