Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Lost Levels releases NES Hard Drivin' to the public

  1. #1
    Ghostbuster
    Greg2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Soprano Land, NJ
    Posts
    3,798
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    44
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

    Talking Lost Levels releases NES Hard Drivin' to the public

    http://www.lostlevels.org/hard-drivin/

    Lost Levels, for it's 10 year anniversary, has released the rom for Hard Drivin' on the NES. More importantly, is an interview by site master Frank Cifaldi, who's brought a lot of fantastic prototype information to us all, with designer Mark Morris.

    I honestly thought the rom was out and about already. Disclaimer though, this is an early demo, but does run well on the FCEUX emulator. Other emu's and flash carts are a glitch y mess.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

  2. #2
    Peach (Level 3) fluid_matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    649
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    http://www.lostlevels.org/hard-drivin/

    Lost Levels, for it's 10 year anniversary, has released the rom for Hard Drivin' on the NES. More importantly, is an interview by site master Frank Cifaldi, who's brought a lot of fantastic prototype information to us all, with designer Mark Morris.

    I honestly thought the rom was out and about already. Disclaimer though, this is an early demo, but does run well on the FCEUX emulator. Other emu's and flash carts are a glitch y mess.
    Saw this late last night. Was going to d/l it to play on my PSP, but after watching the video decided not to. Which is sad, because I really use to enjoy the game.

  3. #3
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Supergun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default NES Hard Drivin'

    Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    Saw this late last night. Was going to d/l it to play on my PSP, but after watching the video decided not to. Which is sad, because I really use to enjoy the game.
    No thanks.
    Emulation (in any way, shape, or form, is not good enough for me)
    Real hardware with real software and real controllers on a real CRT is where it's at for me.

    And this is great news. I first heard about it over at another forum.
    So speaking of which, I disagree with the previous comment. I do want to play it. Badly in fact.

    I was a huge fan of the Hard Drivin' games and I bought the Sega Genesis, Atari Lynx, Super Nes, and Sega Saturn Versions.
    They all had their own quarks and such, but I enjoyed them all for what they were and what they could do on their respective systems.
    So can someone tell me which donor cart will work easiest with this so I can build it and play it tonight?

    (a starting point I guess would be a Tengen release of the same rom size but I need more details)

    Thanks!
    seventeen thousand, these guys must really be desperate!

  4. #4
    Kirby (Level 13) Tanooki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,957
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Excellent go Lost Levels. I wondered if this would ever pop up so that's a cool surprise. Maybe for their 15th they can find sim city for NES.

  5. #5
    DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Kitsune Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Calexico, USA
    Posts
    13,853
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Supergun View Post
    No thanks.
    Emulation (in any way, shape, or form, is not good enough for me)
    Real hardware with real software and real controllers on a real CRT is where it's at for me.
    Well let us know when you pay money for a repro of this.

    In the meantime we'll be playing this to experience a bit of history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

  6. #6
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    467
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Well let us know when you pay money for a repro of this.

    In the meantime we'll be playing this to experience a bit of history.
    If I may ask, is compatibility on the NES Powerpak all right with it?

  7. #7
    DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Kitsune Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Calexico, USA
    Posts
    13,853
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    If I may ask, is compatibility on the NES Powerpak all right with it?
    Heck if I know. I don't have a flash cart. :P

    I suspect it might be a little bit too tough for a flash cart to run correctly. But again, I have no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

  8. #8
    Alex (Level 15) InsaneDavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    7,361
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    16
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

    Default

    For those that are all excited about building a cartridge around this remember, this is a very early demo of the game which is all explained if you, uh, actually read the column.

    "Be gentle, this is a very early demo of the game; a lot of features hadn't been implemented yet, and because of the scanline-level trickery Mark employed, the game doesn't run correctly in any current emulator."

    "Note: this is an early demo, with many features not yet implemented. Graphical errors are present on all emulators, though the game runs smoothly on real hardware."

  9. #9
    Peach (Level 3) fluid_matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    649
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Supergun View Post
    I disagree with the previous comment. I do want to play it. Badly in fact.
    Which part are you disagreeing with?

    a. That I saw it late last night?
    b. I was going to d/l it, but didn't?
    c. I was going to emulate it on my PSP?
    d. I watched the video?
    e. I use to really enjoy the game?

    Quite honestly, I see no grounds for you to disagree with anything I previously said, considering they're all fact.

  10. #10
    Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    227
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Am I the only one who thinks that this is REALLY freaking impressive for the NES?

    I used to love this game for Genesis and in the arcade.

    Really surprised how close they got it on the Nintendo, though. Especially for a demo version.

  11. #11
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    528
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    can someone post a video please?
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

  12. #12
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Supergun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    For those that are all excited about building a cartridge around this remember, this is a very early demo of the game which is all explained if you, uh, actually read the column.

    "Be gentle, this is a very early demo of the game; a lot of features hadn't been implemented yet, and because of the scanline-level trickery Mark employed, the game doesn't run correctly in any current emulator."

    "Note: this is an early demo, with many features not yet implemented. Graphical errors are present on all emulators, though the game runs smoothly on real hardware."
    Um, yes, I did actually read the entire column. Let me quote your own quote that you just quoted:

    "............because of the scanline-level trickery Mark employed, the game doesn't run correctly in any current emulator............"

    Where in my post did I state any interest in any emulator? In fact quite the opposite. I stated they are of no interest to me and that I wanted to build a real cartridge to play on a real system.
    Where in the article does it state that it would have any compatibility or functioning issues on real hardware?

    So, um, yeah, who is the one who didn't read something?
    seventeen thousand, these guys must really be desperate!

  13. #13
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Supergun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    Which part are you disagreeing with?

    a. That I saw it late last night?
    b. I was going to d/l it, but didn't?
    c. I was going to emulate it on my PSP?
    d. I watched the video?
    e. I use to really enjoy the game?

    Quite honestly, I see no grounds for you to disagree with anything I previously said, considering they're all fact.
    Where is this coming from? Why the hostility around here?
    But for the sake of argument, let's see what you said:

    "......Saw this late last night. Was going to d/l it to play on my PSP, but after watching the video decided not to. Which is sad, because I really use to enjoy the game......"

    The part I disagreed with was that you were going to download it, but saw the video, and then decided not to. (implying it did not impress you and/or interest you)
    That is the part I did not agree with. It DID impress me, and it DOES interest me, and I DO want to play it and enjoy it.
    So what, other people are not allowed to disagree with your opinions?

    Does this drama always happen around here?
    seventeen thousand, these guys must really be desperate!

  14. #14
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Supergun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CastlevaniaDude View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that this is REALLY freaking impressive for the NES?

    I used to love this game for Genesis and in the arcade.

    Really surprised how close they got it on the Nintendo, though. Especially for a demo version.
    Your not alone. I too was VERY impressed with what I saw.
    I also loved this game as well. And I also owned the arcade machine as well at one point in the past. In fact my name and some information I contributed is stated in one of the FAQ's that was made for it years ago.

    Just because I have a pacman arcade machine in the garage does not by ANY means imply that I never play my 2600, 5200, ColecoVision, NES, etc. version of pac-man that I also have. In fact I have dozens & dozens of video games that I have multiple versions of across multiple platforms, and also the arcade board as well. They all have their place and I enjoy comparing and contrasting them all the time.

    This guy busted his ass and made a version of Hard Drivin' for the NES. Most programmers would not have even attempted it. That is impressive to me and I don't have to explain why to those who think the game was a waste of time. If it does not interest you, then ignore it and don't download it. So what right?
    seventeen thousand, these guys must really be desperate!

  15. #15
    ServBot (Level 11) badinsults's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Somewhere on planet Earth / #vbender
    Posts
    3,986
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    can someone post a video please?
    There's a video in the article....
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

  16. #16
    Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    227
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Supergun View Post
    Your not alone. I too was VERY impressed with what I saw.
    I also loved this game as well. And I also owned the arcade machine as well at one point in the past. In fact my name and some information I contributed is stated in one of the FAQ's that was made for it years ago.

    Just because I have a pacman arcade machine in the garage does not by ANY means imply that I never play my 2600, 5200, ColecoVision, NES, etc. version of pac-man that I also have. In fact I have dozens & dozens of video games that I have multiple versions of across multiple platforms, and also the arcade board as well. They all have their place and I enjoy comparing and contrasting them all the time.

    This guy busted his ass and made a version of Hard Drivin' for the NES. Most programmers would not have even attempted it. That is impressive to me and I don't have to explain why to those who think the game was a waste of time. If it does not interest you, then ignore it and don't download it. So what right?
    Agree with almost all of what you said.

    I definitely have the same game across platforms in some cases. I also think this was a hell of a feat of programming, and I was super impressed by it.

    I understand the argument that the game doesn't stand the test of time or might not be fun to play now, or whatever, but that is just a really great looking piece of work on the NES.

  17. #17
    Pretzel (Level 4) Clownzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    958
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

    Default

    A great find for NES history! Unfortunately, I could not even play this game in the arcade. It always seemed choppy and nearly impossible to control my vehicle (the clutch was a cool feature though).
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

    Pope Benedict XVI

  18. #18
    Insert Coin (Level 0) The Dord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    77
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Video of the Hard Driving NES game. (for those of us that want to see the video directly)

  19. #19
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    528
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Still seems like it would be worth putting into a Tengen case for the fun of it.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

  20. #20
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Supergun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  4.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    Still seems like it would be worth putting into a Tengen case for the fun of it.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  4.1 KB
    seventeen thousand, these guys must really be desperate!

Similar Threads

  1. Hard' Drivin on SNES..Just got my highest score
    By Granado_jake in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 03:12 PM
  2. Hard Drivin arcade
    By 8bitnintendogames in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 09:19 PM
  3. hard drivin' a megadrive game we shall not forget
    By u02nb5 in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-09-2007, 06:41 PM
  4. Lost Levels
    By MarioAllStar2600 in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 01:36 PM
  5. Super Mario 2 (Lost Levels SNES) = HARD
    By gamingguy in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 10:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •