Thread: PS3 Fat model won't eject but will read discs. Do I need whole new drive?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default PS3 Fat model won't eject but will read discs. Do I need whole new drive?

It just makes a clicking noise. This happened before but I managed to hold eject when powering on and it came out. This time i'm not so lucky. This will be the second drive I have needed to fix. First was under warranty. Is there a way to fix this without getting a whole new drive? If not what drive is the best to get and where? I want one that is actually going to work. I have looked on ebay but they are all in the $60-80 range. I would think if I can locate one that's not labeled for PS3 I can get it cheaper. Is there anything else I should check besides the fan when I open this PS3 up?

Why can't and companies make reliable consoles except Nintendo? I seriously hate my ps3. If it wasn't for Demon's Souls I would throw this thing away. This is the sole reason anytime a game is released on PC I get the PC version anymore. At least I know I can fix my PC cheaply and the games will be supported under windows for years to come by Windows, or fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The really annoying thing is this is the second broken drive. And I never even use my ps3. I power it on and actually play a game every few months. I had less than 100 hours actual game time on the first drive, and around 300 hours on this one. I can't imagine if I actually used my PS3 a lot. I would have blown through 10 by now.

Sorry for ranting, it's just REALLY annoying.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had similar issues with my ps3. Short of replacing the drive, I just use a thin piece of plastic and try to get it under the disk when it happens (roughly 15 times now). I noticed that the disk just gets stuck half way. getting it back in lets you eject it.