Thread: PS3 Slim Internal vs. External HDD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 Slim Internal vs. External HDD

So I finally got around to getting a PS3 (250GB Slim Uncharted/PS+ Bundle) and am quickly learning that 250Gb isn't that much considering the size of the free games. So I was wondering if there was any real difference between internal and external drives when it comes to storage? Can I just hook up a larger external to the USB port, download the game I want to the system, transfer it to the external for storage and then just transfer it back when I'm ready to play; or does it not work like that?

I'm really not too keen on cracking my PS3 open and replacing the drive, especially since I already have stuff on my current drive, but if that's the best option I'll look into it more.

Mind, I'll be doing any formatting/back-up/transfer on a Mac.

Thanks for any advice.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by slip81 View Post
    So I finally got around to getting a PS3 (250GB Slim Uncharted/PS+ Bundle) and am quickly learning that 250Gb isn't that much considering the size of the free games. So I was wondering if there was any real difference between internal and external drives when it comes to storage? Can I just hook up a larger external to the USB port, download the game I want to the system, transfer it to the external for storage and then just transfer it back when I'm ready to play; or does it not work like that?

I'm really not too keen on cracking my PS3 open and replacing the drive, especially since I already have stuff on my current drive, but if that's the best option I'll look into it more.

Mind, I'll be doing any formatting/back-up/transfer on a Mac.

Thanks for any advice.

No. An external hd will only allow you to backup movies, pictures and music and likewise view those off hd but games etc can not run or be stored on an external hd

Replacing the hd does not require you opening the ps3. There's a slot underneath your ps3 that you can lift with your fingernail and simply pull out the hd and slap in a new one. You don't have to format anything, the ps3 handles all that by itself
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

well unlike other systems PS3's have always had user replacable hard drive with off the shelf components:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/how...drive-6396942/

even if you could do everything with an external hard drive, USB would slow it down a bit.
    While we are on slowing down, if at all possible try and get a 7200 RPM drive. Some things benefit from the faster spin, other things are the same

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    well unlike other systems PS3's have always had user replacable hard drive with off the shelf components:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/how...drive-6396942/

even if you could do everything with an external hard drive, USB would slow it down a bit.
    While we are on slowing down, if at all possible try and get a 7200 RPM drive. Some things benefit from the faster spin, other things are the same
    Other people warn that 7200 RPM drives generate too much heat, not saying I agree, just that the warning is out there.

As for speed, there's definitely enough bandwidth to play games over USB2.0 connections, it's certainly faster than the optical drive, but without custom firmware (which if you just bought a system you're not likely to ever be able to install) it's just not possible.