Thread: FC Mobile II weird problem

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default FC Mobile II weird problem

Hi everyone

I need your help in trying to fix an Hyperkin FC Mobile II unit. As you probably know, this is one of the many NES-compatible handhelds out there. This unit has both a built-in screen and an AV-out to connect it to a TV and display the game on a larger screen. My unit is having the following problem. It works, but it has developed a weird issue with the built-in screen. After a few seconds of playing, the screen turns completely white. If I switch it off for a few minutes and then on again, it displays an image correctly for a few more seconds and then becomes completely white again. It must be noted that the game itself is *not* locked up, it keeps running and if I connect the unit to the TV with the supplied AV cable, the image on the TV *always* appears correctly even when the built-in screen is white, which means that this is not a problem with the cartridges' contacts (otherwise the game would lock-up or look weird on the TV as well). I tried to open the unit to see if there was any visible damage inside it or anything that could be causing this strange behaviour (such as a loose cable or something) hoping that I could fix it myself easily, but nothing appears to be damaged or loose inside it. Does anyone have any other ideas I could try to fix this unit ?

Thanks for your help,

Flavio

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Um, I guess I'm having a similar problem. I've actually had my FC Mobile II for a few years now, and it had been fine up until today. In my case, the screen is mostly black, though it will occasionally flicker into white. The audio still plays fine, and it also still outputs a perfectly fine A/V signal to the TV with the included cord. I'm actually OK with writing it off, which is why I decided to open it up and see if anything had gone awry, like a wire coming free from the solder or something equally simple. Sadly, there was no obviously fixable problem.

I wouldn't mind getting another portable NES player, but at this point, the FC Mobile II's LCD screen is really really sub-par compared to pretty much every other device out there. It would be nice to see Hyperkin or someone else do a refresh on the portable NES idea because it is really overdue.