Thread: AD&D Gold Box fans?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default AD&D Gold Box fans?

Just wondering if there were any fans of the AD&D Gold Box adventures.

Personally, I had Pool of Radiance for the Apple II (and remember making copies of 8 different 5" floppy disks!). I currently own one of the WizardWork volumes on CD, as well as Unlimited Adventures and some more esoteric ones, like Stronghold (the AD&D version, _not_ Firefly; been meaning to get into it).

I was wondering, though, if anyone here's been able to run them on a Windows 7 machine. I was able to run it through DosBox/DFend when I was still running Windows XP, but since I upgraded, that's not working anymore.

Was planning on completing my collection (can't beat the Adventurers' Journal), but don't want to buy discs I can't run.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to love these games. I played them on IBM PCs though. I think I still have a few of them at my parents house.

The difficulty of most of them though was brutal.

I also liked the buck rogers games that were pretty much the same thing.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved them. In fact, I still own them all. Unfortunately they seem to be the kind of games that would disappoint me if I ever installed and tried to play themagain. I don't think time would be kind to them. However if someone created a modernized version of them... That would be really interesting.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

though how much time would you spend making the characters? I used to love that part.

I think if I reinstalled them today I would spend like 30 minutes messing around with the character, play the game for 10 minutes, turn it off and never go back
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I first played these thru one of the Wizardworks CDs, later bought the Forgotten Realms Archive, which has almost the entire series (its missing any that aren't based in the forgotten realms, obviously)

I like these games, but for some reason I can never stay interested long enough to complete any of them. Almost managed it with Pool of Radiance tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I'm old fashioned - it's precisely all the archaic touches that I like about the Gold Boxes.

Having to look up entries in the Journal, planning fighting strategies, the almost-impossible ending fights. I personally thought they compared favorably with FF1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lictalon View Post
    I was wondering, though, if anyone here's been able to run them on a Windows 7 machine. I was able to run it through DosBox/DFend when I was still running Windows XP, but since I upgraded, that's not working anymore.
    There's no reason at all why it shouldn't run under DOSBox in Windows 7 if you were running it in DOSBox in Windows XP, provided you haven't changed any of the settings. The only thing that might have changed is that the games might be in some folder that requires administrative privileges in order to access, in which case you can use a new folder somewhere under the appropriate profile directory in C:\Users, or you can edit the access properties of the folder, or you can just run DOSBox as an Administrator.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're right, Jorpho - I just installed the latest DFend and got it working again.

Time to return to the Forgotten Realms....and the Azaroth of Orcs vs Humans....and Sid Meier's COlonization...amazing how many DOS games I still have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only have Heroes of the Lance and honestly can't get into it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

I just watched the most recent MetalJesusRocks pickup video (http://www.youtube.com/user/MetalJesusRocks), and he's trying to collect every one. I thought that was pretty cool, because someone donated like 5 of them to him, all complete in box. You guys should check his videos out, they're great! He does a lot of computer game collecting as well as video games (if not more).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love the GoldBox games. I own nine of them, I think. My favorites are the Savage Frontier games (I'm in the minority, I know). One of these days I'm going to replay Gateway and figure out a way to beat the final Boss (Valgaamon) in a straight-up fight. I've never played any of the Krynn games, but look forward to doing so. I've also played the Buck Rogers game on the Genesis and I was surprised by how well-done the conversion was; it feels like some sort of Mass Effect de-make. I'd like to track down both of the Rogers games and play them on the PC. Wish I had FRUA, as well.