Thread: For the looks i guess...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool For the looks i guess...

I recently have picked up three boxed Odyssey 2 games and one without a box, This is the first time I've seen odyssey 2 games in the wild and felt i needed to buy them for the low price of 1 dollar each . The only problem is i don't own an odyssey 2 yet. So my question for you is if its ever happened to you, what games have you bought before you even owned the system to play it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never purchased any games for a console that I didn't already own. But I was given a handful of boxed Odyssey games and didn't own the console. Not sure if that counts. You got to admit that the Odyssey games look really cool with their built in handles!

Oh wait, I did buy a bunch of Wii games and didn't own a Wii. It was the ex girlfriends - does that count?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

I would say it counts. Odyssey games are some of the coolest looking games I've ever bought, You almost cant give them up even if you don't have the system. I'm sort of new to collecting, like maybe started this year, and the odyssey games are the first I've bought for a system i don't own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Never have and I don't remember ever getting one gifted either. The closest and that's splitting hairs is owning an import GBA months before it came to the states, and then buying the games as they started to appear in stores upwards of a week before the system was out. The GBA got broken a year or two after so then I got a local one.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I buy games for systems I don't own yet in anticipation of obtaining the console at a latter time. I owned Colecovision games 10 years before I finally found a Colecovision in the wild. Now I just need a Nokia N-Gage, a PSP, a 3DS, and a Neo-Geo MVS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oddysey 2 boxes are some of the coolest-looking game boxes ever, so it certainly makes sense to buy them on sight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Oddysey 2 boxes are some of the coolest-looking game boxes ever, so it certainly makes sense to buy them on sight.
    Agreed totally. I've got a bundle of them I found at a thrift along with the system and love the artwork on them. The box artwork has a very cool like Syd Mead feel to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently picked up 3 boxed Odyssey 2s with 33 games and 16 of them in boxes. They still had the foam inserts warranty papers and most of the receipts. Nice retired couple in their 80's had them for a really cheap price and I had to go and get them. You really do have to love the box designs for odyssey stuff. When I showed up at their front door to pick them up they got really confused why a 23 year old even knows what this stuff was let alone why I wanted it.

To answer the original question I have bought games before the console quite a few times. Right now I think the only games I have without a console a few boxed Sega CD games I got in a genesis bundle deal and Xyanide for the Xbox that I didn't think to check if it work with the 360. I also have 2600 and 7800 games that I can't play because the 7800 I bought ether is dead or needs a new AC.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

I stumbled upon a CIB copy of Valis 2 for TurboCD that I picked up some 12 years ago, but I still don't own a TurboCD attachment. I've at least played the game via my PC and an emulator with the original CD, but that's probably the only example I have.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just last week I was in a horrible over priced thrift store looking through some Atari 2600 games when I found Red Alarm for the Virtual Boy in there. I don't have a Virtual Boy and have never seen a cartage for one, but of course I picked it up. I think it gives me good mojo, like the system is trying to find me or someting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd like to say I've had to dispose of enough clutter that I don't do that sort of thing anymore, but the truth is I bought some nice Wii games on the cheap despite not owning a Wii. I thought I might be able to trade them away fairly easily. I was mistaken.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dashopepper View Post
    Just last week I was in a horrible over priced thrift store looking through some Atari 2600 games when I found Red Alarm for the Virtual Boy in there. I don't have a Virtual Boy and have never seen a cartage for one, but of course I picked it up. I think it gives me good mojo, like the system is trying to find me or someting.

About last month or so i walked into a retro game store we have around here and they just so happened to get in about ten CIB virtual boy games, I ended up buying an imported bomber man game for it. It just so happened that a few months before one of my friends had a CIB virtual boy he was willing to give me. So i could actually play the games .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, I've bought a bunch of games that I didn't have the system for. I've got Cauldron + The Evil Dead and The Black Hole for the Sinclair Spectrum 48k, and I don't own one of those. I bought a few DS games long before I got a DS. PS3 games a couple of years before I got a PS3. The same with Xbox 360 games. And I've got Mickey Mania and Shaq Fu for the SNES, without owning a SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

I bought a Sega Saturn Demo disc at a garage sale for 25 cents before I even got a Sega Saturn. Then I got a CIB one at the same local game store xener51 went to for 40 bucks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Back when I was really into DDR, I imported the jp Dance Dance Revolution Party Collection -- didn't pick up a region 2 system to play it on until about a year later. Initially I considered modding my US system, then procrastinated for quite a while, but ultimately got an import system with some of the money I had after pawning my ex's engagement ring.

I didn't buy my Xbox until I had collected most of the games I wanted it for, but this was near the end of the system's life and I rounded the titles up pretty quickly before purchasing the behemoth.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

I have 3 atari 2600 games sealed and I only have a lynx and jaguar. I saw them having plans to sell them and just ended up keeping them. I do plan on having all consoles someday. And setting up a museum like shop but untill then if its an old game and it deems my attention, I will buy it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up a few Odyssey 2 and Intellivision games in a big Atari 2600 lot from Craigslist. I have an Intellivision now, but I'm still on the lookout for the Odyssey.

I owned TMNT: Hyperstone Heist for about a year or two before I owned a Genesis.

I bought Madden football about a month before the PS2 was released.

Picked up Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins about a year or so before a friend gave me his PSP.

I've had Metal Gear Solid 3 for a few years now, still waiting for the PS3 to drop enough to justify my purchasing it.
    I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming
    Me Youtube, Captain Natron