Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ouya's New Controversial Ad (graphic)

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Ouya's New Controversial Ad (graphic)

Making fun of your audience? Treating yourself like you're the next big thing in gaming when in actuality you're not even a contender? Being obnoxious in advertisements and refusing to own up to it? Sounds like the Ouya is the new Game.com. They claim that this isn't an official ad, but they posted it on their official Youtube before its removal...

Sad, because they actually could carve out a pretty good niche for themselves. They need to stop advertising this thing like it can be anything other than a companion console. I have one and am excited that XMBC is out for it now. But with Tegra 4 coming, I don't know...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The part that got me was "All free to try."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That almost looks like it was animated by the Superjail guy.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good god some people shouldnt be allowed within a mile of a PR firm. Fuck them, I wont buy it, and they dont deserve anyone who plays video games money if they think "that guy" represents video game players. This is the worst video game ad Ive seen. Completely made me forget anything else Id think was bad.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    That almost looks like it was animated by the Superjail guy.
    There was a topic about it on the AdultSwim forums the other day, apparently Titmouse Inc. handled the animation direction for this commercial but didn't actually produce or animate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw this earlier today and official or not it is absolutely one of the worst video game ads ever. On the one minor plus side, it will actually get people to start talking about Ouya...just not in the way they intended.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kind of sad some people are hating on this so much, taking it personal in some direct or indirect way I guess. Crude and foul sure, but it raises an excellent point I see gamers bitch about plenty. Overpriced short games rehashing the same copy cat shit yearly and fearing to take chances much anymore and the suckers who keep falling for it and buying into it until they realize they've been had. Mocking call of duty on the game box cover made that clear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Geez, some people need to lighten up.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Kind of sad some people are hating on this so much, taking it personal in some direct or indirect way I guess. Crude and foul sure, but it raises an excellent point I see gamers bitch about plenty. Overpriced short games rehashing the same copy cat shit yearly and fearing to take chances much anymore and the suckers who keep falling for it and buying into it until they realize they've been had. Mocking call of duty on the game box cover made that clear.
    As opposed to "suckers" who fall for a supposedly open console where every game requires a customized Ouya version, where previous Google store purchases can't be transferred and where you must buy the games through their customized store. I mean I can understand why people may be buying this for emulation or other uses, but the whole commercial business model of Ouya has nothing to do with openness and is all about just setting up another Apple or Google style self-contained paywall to content on fairly mediocre hardware.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Crude and foul sure, but it raises an excellent point I see gamers bitch about plenty. Overpriced short games rehashing the same copy cat shit yearly and fearing to take chances much anymore and the suckers who keep falling for it and buying into it until they realize they've been had. Mocking call of duty on the game box cover made that clear.
    Thats good and all, and I wasnt even offended by him pulling out his spine and beating his brains out. Its just really efing stupid to have the guy there alone not wearing pants and his house be a mess. Why would a video game company want to show a video game player looking like that? Its just freaking stupid. I think we should have more respect for video game playing and try to hold our selves up a little more than who ever the hell made this and approved for it to be shown to the world.
    Last edited by JakeM; 08-24-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I don't see it targeted to all gamers. I see it as commentary on the Call of Duty addicts, and that there is more out there then just generic FPS games. Sure, if you're a COD fan, this might be offensive to you, but it's just a mediocre commercial.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know what's funny? You that are offended would have hated the 16 bit and 32 Bit era. These kinds of commercials were all over the place. My system is better than yours, why would you buy that crappy machine when you could have this one? And sometimes the "Gamers" in said commercials were pushed to look like losers or just stereotypical, so this is nothing new. It might seem new to some of you because it's not a tactic that has been used in a very long time, but this is a throwback to those days and is meant to be funny, kind of like a caricature to make a point. If you are offended by the ad, then perhaps you need to have your feelings checked because it's not like it's anything too serious and is meant to be dumb fun. Too sensitive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Unless it's direct comparison of features, I've always disliked ads that mock the competition. It makes me think that they're hiding something, like they know that their product isn't good enough so they have to jab at their competitor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Unless it's direct comparison of features, I've always disliked ads that mock the competition. It makes me think that they're hiding something, like they know that their product isn't good enough so they have to jab at their competitor.
    That may be a true conclusion to come to, but I'm just saying, you made it sound like Ouya is the first company to do this and how dare they. Just saying it's a tactic that even the mighty SONY has used in the past is all.
    Last edited by T2KFreeker; 08-24-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    You know what's funny? You that are offended would have hated the 16 bit and 32 Bit era. These kinds of commercials were all over the place. My system is better than yours, why would you buy that crappy machine when you could have this one? And sometimes the "Gamers" in said commercials were pushed to look like losers or just stereotypical, so this is nothing new. It might seem new to some of you because it's not a tactic that has been used in a very long time, but this is a throwback to those days and is meant to be funny, kind of like a caricature to make a point. If you are offended by the ad, then perhaps you need to have your feelings checked because it's not like it's anything too serious and is meant to be dumb fun. Too sensitive.
    How exactly would you "have your feelings checked"? I'm sorry, but I have yet to find anyone that thinks this commercial is funny or interesting or effective. Just because you're too insensitive to think something is a problem doesn't mean that other people are too sensitive. Personally, I just think the commercial was poorly done and a waste of money and just more evidence that Ouya is an amateurish product headed for failure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    How exactly would you "have your feelings checked"? I'm sorry, but I have yet to find anyone that thinks this commercial is funny or interesting or effective. Just because you're too insensitive to think something is a problem doesn't mean that other people are too sensitive. Personally, I just think the commercial was poorly done and a waste of money and just more evidence that Ouya is an amateurish product headed for failure.
    Cool man. You know what? I live in a world where garbage like Southpark and American Dad and Family Guy is "Funny" even though it's just disturbing and crude and gross. So, this thirty second commercial is supposed to be worse than that? It's okay to watch the dude from The Family Guy have dreams about porking his Daughter and find it hilarious, but a guy in his undies throwing up isn't funny and is disrespectful? It's okay for Mr. Hinkey, a Turd as a character isn't offensive, but yeah, this is gross? Yeah, I'm insensitive? Okay then. So, if you watch any of the three shows above listed and find them humorous, that's okay to be blasphemous and Incest is funny because it's a cartoon and everyone else likes them, but Damn Ouya for their portrayal of Gamers because Ouya is a crappy game console making company? Okay then, I guess I'm insensitive because I'd rather find that funny than the other garbage I just listed. I'm just saying that maybe this commercial is being taken a little too seriously?
    Last edited by T2KFreeker; 08-24-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

If you think South Park is just poop jokes and crudeness, you're missing the point of it.

South Park can do it because there's more to it than just crudeness. They have a message beneath it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    If you think South Park is just poop jokes and crudeness, you're missing the point of it.

South Park can do it because there's more to it than just crudeness. They have a message beneath it.
    It's all good man. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. It's cool. You don't like the commercial and I thought it was funny. Does that make either of us wrong? Hell No. It's just an opinion Brother. It's all good.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    It's all good man. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. It's cool. You don't like the commercial and I thought it was funny. Does that make either of us wrong? Hell No. It's just an opinion Brother. It's all good.
    That's not what you were arguing just a few posts back. You were arguing that people were being too sensitive and needed to have their "feelings checked". That's not tolerant in any way and completely inconsistent with what you are now saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    That's not what you were arguing just a few posts back. You were arguing that people were being too sensitive and needed to have their "feelings checked". That's not tolerant in any way and completely inconsistent with what you are now saying.
    Perhaps I could have worded it a bit better. Sorry if I offended anyone. Wasn't the intention.