Thread: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Xbox 360 Not For Resale Version

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default XCOM: Enemy Unknown Xbox 360 Not For Resale Version

Hey guys, I bought a factory sealed NFR Xbox 360 copy of XCOM: Enemy Unknown because I'd never seen one before (reviews copies I receive from 2K have always been retail copies, including XCOM EU), and I couldn't find any info online about it. Here's a pic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSnN93FCIAAaB8B.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	7028

I'll be hanging on to this for the foreseeable future, but does anyone have any info on where it might have come from?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't know anything specifically about this copy, but Microsoft does offer publishers the option of doing a run of games with that yellow banner on the front for promo and internal distribution purposes. I know I have seen it used on other US release games that I have received from the publishers as courtesy copies. In any event, it looks like one just sold on Ebay last week...not sure if this is the same copy you bought. I personally don't think it's worth much more than a regular copy as it's just a cover variant, but variant collectors may have a different take on it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I don't know anything specifically about this copy, but Microsoft does offer publishers the option of doing a run of games with that yellow banner on the front for promo and internal distribution purposes. I know I have seen it used on other US release games that I have received from the publishers as courtesy copies. In any event, it looks like one just sold on Ebay last week...not sure if this is the same copy you bought. I personally don't think it's worth much more than a regular copy as it's just a cover variant, but variant collectors may have a different take on it.
    Yeah, that was the one I bought. The seller accepted an offer that was much lower than what the asking price was, and only slightly more than a retail copy.

It's not actually just a cover variant - the disc art is different as well. The retail release has the XCOM soldier patch on it; this one just has the word "XCOM" plus the yellow banner on the disc (check the auction here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/XCOM-Enemy-U...item2ec9d7c415).

Anyway. Thanks for the info at the beginning of your post. It's a tiny bit closer to finding out why exactly this was distributed. Of course, I guess I could ask the PR people at Access, who handles 2K's games, but I don't want them to demand I surrender my promo copy.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw a copy of Doom 3 on ebay with the same yellow strip on the cover. I guess it's a preview copy for reviewers. As far as I know, it's the same as the final game.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jet1337 View Post
    I saw a copy of Doom 3 on ebay with the same yellow strip on the cover. I guess it's a preview copy for reviewers. As far as I know, it's the same as the final game.
    Yeah - I'm really trying to sort out exactly who got this version, though. As I said for XCOM specifically, the review copies they sent out were standard retail releases with the pre-order DLC inside (that's the one they sent me, anyway, a week or two before it came out.) None of the other games media people I know got this yellow strip version, either. Having said that, the two that are currently available on eBay were located in Canada, so I'm wondering if 2K has a Canadian branch that opted to print these yellow ones. I'll keep digging as I find the time.