Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo In Scare Mode, 2DS, $50 off Wii U

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo In Scare Mode, 2DS, $50 off Wii U

So basically Nintendo is releasing a non 3D 3DS, calling it the 2DS. Which I hated the 3D effect, so this is actually good news to me. Its of course cheaper than the 3DS, and will be released on October 12th.

Theyre also lowering the Wii U price on September 20th by $50.

Heres release dates for their up coming games.
    http://kotaku.com/nintendo-doles-out...lid-1214883870

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The internet is collectively throwing a hissy fit over this just like they did with the Micro and Wii Mini, but I think it's a pretty nice looking handheld. It's probably the first reasonably-priced one this generation, too. I don't have any form of 3DS (my only Nintendo handheld is the DS Phat I got at launch), so I might look into it.

Since it's not clamshell style, it really makes me wonder if they are finally phasing out the second screen for a bigger/higher-res single screen. I would like that.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Just saw this 2 seconds ago on destructoid, shit looks like a thick cut slice of bread

Still i could see this selling to people who don't use the 3d feature and never plan on taking the handheld outside. I wonder how the battery life is on that thing
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just look at this fucking thing.

Nintendo is in "Old Man Yells At Cloud" mode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow did not see the system happeing period, and it's crazy with the WiiU losses they'll do that drop now instead of next year on the WiiU but good for them. I saw the kotaku link and figured more of their stories, but I see it elsewhere so that's quite impressive. I think that 2DS will swing some SERIOUS systems out the door as for what the hardware does the price is stupid cheap, and a lot wanted nothing to do with the 3D end of gaming on the 3DS nor the hgher price and that cut both entirely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    To those waiting on a price drop, hope you don't mind waiting a good stretch for it as they're not making money at $300/350 either and they'll not lower it unless all those games planned through Spring 2014 do nothing for them going into later through 2014.
    From yesterday in another thread, haha.

But yes, the $50 price drop is long overdue and does make it a bit more attractive, but I'll still probably wait it out. Only Wii U game I really want to play is Pikmin 3, and this price drop coincides with the release of GTA V.

A smart move by Nintendo to try and steal some sales before the Xbox One and PS4 get here. I think they reacted to late though and I effect this price drop to have a minimal affect on sales.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

... No clampshell? Yuck.

It also strikes me as looking like it'd be less comfortable to hold and play long-term, but I guess I'd have to try it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the look of it. And the price is really good.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

So... bulkier and can't even protect its own screens? Brilliant, Nintendo. I can't even fathom how they though a big, flat 3DS would be desirable. Are consumers really so stupid to think "Hey, it's shaped like a tablet and I like tablets, so let's buy it!" Tablets are big and flat because they have a single big screen taking up the whole space. It's completely illogical to keep that form factor for a device with two small screens.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    It's completely illogical to keep that form factor for a device with two small screens.
    Except unlike a tablet this has buttons a dpad and and analog control on it. Id imagine these screens are thicker and tougher like tablet screens if it doesnt close up.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

I actually think the 2DS is attractive. I've not played a 3DS, but I know with my large hands, my GBA SP begins to hurt to play after a while, so I usually like playing on a PSP much more. And a $50 price drop on the WiiU is making it VERY hard for me to resist pulling the trigger on one. I have wanted one since before launch, and now that Wonderful 101 is on the horizon, I am salivating at the possibility. Of course, I'd need to scare up the cash somewhere, so I'll probably still have to hold off for a while
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It actually looks like something Ben Heck would put together, which isn't a bad thing. It's just an odd direction to go in for a dual screen device. I don't think protecting the screens will be much of an issue. We dealt with Game Boys for, what, 15 years before a clamshell version came around? I imagine that whatever next handheld Nintendo comes out with, it'll be something like the Wii U's tablet. This might just be an early example of that new direction.

It's funny, though. For a while handhelds were getting smaller and smaller. Now they're larger than ever.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 08-28-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFRO View Post
    I actually think the 2DS is attractive. I've not played a 3DS, but I know with my large hands, my GBA SP begins to hurt to play after a while, so I usually like playing on a PSP much more. And a $50 price drop on the WiiU is making it VERY hard for me to resist pulling the trigger on one. I have wanted one since before launch, and now that Wonderful 101 is on the horizon, I am salivating at the possibility. Of course, I'd need to scare up the cash somewhere, so I'll probably still have to hold off for a while
    I agree. At first I thought it was a joke, but the more I look at the 2DS, the more intrigued I am with the design. It's very simple but somehow stylish at the same time.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Something tells me Nintendo planned the 2DS in advance just in case Sony finally got wise and dropped the price of the Vita. Smart move on Nintendo's part honestly. Sony should have dropped the Vita price a long time ago.

*edit*

Anyone interested should just wait for the 2DS XL.

This sucks also, because it tells developers to not bother with the 3D any longer. After Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate I'm actually interested in playing games in the future that have 3D as good as it did. SMT4 had good 3D in its dungeons but the constant switching between battles, dungeons, and the world map you couldn't really play properly in 3D. I want to see more games take advantage of the 3D effect though because for a feature that was so bashed about, I actually liked it when it was used well.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFRO View Post
    The GBA SP is just uncomfortable, as are most of the Nintendo portables after the original GBA. The original 3DS sucks because it's so uncomfortable. The 3DS XL on the other hand and maybe a DSi XL is a Nintendo portable done right. While I feel the analog and control pad should be switched the 3DS XL is comfortable to use. The portable itself is bigger, more room for your index fingers to rest on L and R, and they made the start and select buttons not suck like on the original 3DS(they were really bad.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-28-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I see nothing wrong with this, it's Nintendo finding a way to make a less expensive console for those who don't need all the bells and whistles. This increases their market share. I don't like the non-hinged design though, but I guess that's what made it cheaper.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I'm clearly not the targeted market and would not go back, now that I've moved from a 3DS to a 3DS XL. On the upside, the new form factor logicially eliminates the hinge issue and hopefully reduces the shoulder button problem from the 3DS (I've replaced my 3DS under warranty twice due to a faulty shoulder button, even though I'm not nearly as rough as kids).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

I think I might buy one, because the only reason I ever wanted a 3DS was for Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate, but I decided to get a PS Vita instead (better choice by the way). I think i'll buy this so that I can play some neat games I wasn't able to play before.

Now if only they'd come out with a Wii T or something that was cheaper...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've gotten used to the clamshell style of the DS, what with the screens being so sensitive and all. I'm happy with my 3DSXL.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

What's even weirder is that this thing actually only has one screen, just separated by the casing. Maybe Nintendo wants to wean developers off of using two screens so that they can go back to one screen handhelds eventually?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thing is so odd that I cannot help but like it. It makes perfect sense and zero sense at the same time.