Thread: Sega 3D glasses - first try and really impressed

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega 3D glasses - first try and really impressed

Finally dusted off the SMS glasses that I've had lying around in my collection for many years.
    I can't believe I waited so long to try them. I'm really blown away by the quality of the 3D effort - way ahead of its time!
    Unfortunately I only have one 3D game (3D Zaxxon) but I could not be more impressed by the quality of the 3D effect and its integration into the gameplay.
    Really amazing!!!

For those that have a set - what do you think? Also, what 3D games are good for the SMS?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have to try them again now that I have a CRT TV. They worked on my big plasma but it hard to find the right distance and angle to look at it.

I have a set for sale if anyone wants them, complete in the box, just missing the styrofoam.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Nice... I've always been intrigued by them, but never owned a pair, despite having Space Harrier 3D (which I always assumed would be awesome). Maybe one day I'll get a pair and experience it for myself!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I got a SMS a few years back and kept it up until my move back to here late last year, it just wasn't being used at all as I played out what I wanted and ran out of time to go back. When I got this bitchin deal for it on ebay of all places (CIB system) it came with the glasses basically unused and I had been curious about them a long time.

While the clarity isn't the same as say the 3DS is, the way it does the 3D is fairly similar except you're doing it in the glasses looking at a CRT TV (never tried it on a LCD if it works there.) I was surprised, but I rarely used it and not due to eye problems, but the stupid nose bridge is built for kids and teens and it would just pinch to annoyance. I had a few games for it and it really added a nice level of depth such as in the shooters (zaxxon for one) where it felt practical and not just gimmicky.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The effect is good on most of the 3D games, though it tends to make your view much darker due to the lenses.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maze Hunter 3D has the best effect of them all, I think. Great game too. Missile Defense 3D is also a great showcase for the 3D.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Missle Defense 3D would probably be my favorite SMS 3D game, but I have to give a nod to Space Harrier too because well, I love space harrier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=paul.da.programmer;1980801]Finally dusted off the SMS glasses that I've had lying around in my collection for many years.
    I can't believe I waited so long to try them. I'm really blown away by the quality of the 3D effort - way ahead of its time!
    Unfortunately I only have one 3D game (3D Zaxxon) but I could not be more impressed by the quality of the 3D effect and its integration into the gameplay.
    Really amazing!!!

For those that have a set - what do you think? Also, what 3D games are good for the SMS?[/

does your crt have a curved screen or a flat screen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    i have to try them again now that I have a CRT TV. They worked on my big plasma but it hard to find the right distance and angle to look at it.

I have a set for sale if anyone wants them, complete in the box, just missing the styrofoam.
    I'm interested in a pair of these

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

I actually read in the Retro Gamer magazine (Issue #117) that you can even use one of those newer pair of 3D glasses with an adapter, and it works just the same!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goob47 View Post
    I actually read in the Retro Gamer magazine (Issue #117) that you can even use one of those newer pair of 3D glasses with an adapter, and it works just the same!
    i think they are made by ASUS. I see them ALL over ebay.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, SMS 3d glasses are really cool. It's really too bad that only eight games support them (and several of those weren't released in the US), but at least the glasses work great, and the games that there are look impressively 3d in them.

As for the games, I have Zaxxon 3D (amazing game! It is indeed really, really good), Maze Hunter 3D (topdown action game. It's okay, but somewhat bland.), Missile Defense 3D (requires the lightgun too. Great 3d effects, decent light gun shooting action.), and Blade Eagle 3D (dual-layer shmup, somewhat like Vertical Force on the Virtual Boy... except nowhere REMOTELY near as good. Disappointingly, Blade Eagle 3D really isn't very good... and the 3d effect isn't the best, either. Maybe pick it up for cheap since there are so few 3d games for the system, but have low expectations.).

The other four games, that I don't have, are Outrun 3D (Europe only I think), Poseidon Wars 3D (another lightgun 3d title), Space Harrier 3D (rail shooter), and Line of Fire (Europe only topdown run & gun game). I don't know how well the two Europe-only titles work with NTSC TVs... most SMS games work between the two regions, though, of course.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=PizzaKat;1980906]
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.da.programmer View Post
    Finally dusted off the SMS glasses that I've had lying around in my collection for many years.
    Really amazing!!!

For those that have a set - what do you think? Also, what 3D games are good for the SMS?[/

does your crt have a curved screen or a flat screen?
    1. I have a curved screen tube TV
    2. Someone above mentioned about the picture being darker with the glasses. I found the 3D effect is most pronounced in a darkened room.

Its unfortunate that there's so few easily accessible 3D games for the SMS. Like I said - the 3D effect is really cool and 3D zaxxon is actually a pretty good game. The neat thing about the 3D effect is that its not 'all or nothing'. Theres multiple depth levels that are distinguishable.

Thanks to all for the feedback!