Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mighty No. 9 (was "Mega Man Creator starts kickstarter for a possible Mega Man spiritual successor game.")

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation Mighty No. 9 (was "Mega Man Creator starts kickstarter for a possible Mega Man spiritual successor game.")

The name of the spiritual successor is "Mighty No. 9"

Keiji Inafune [Mega Man creator] has started a kickstarter program for a potential game. It appears that he will make the money as well. This game looks promising.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...o9/mighty-no-9

Check it out and support it if you would like to see another game similar to Mega Man since Capcom won't make a new MM title.

"Classic Japanese side-scrolling action, evolved and transformed by Keiji Inafune, an all-star team of veteran Mega Man devs...and YOU!"

This project is on Kickstarter so it can involve YOU, the fans! Not only will this make it possible, through crowdfunding, for us to make the game exactly as we envision it, but it also allows us to bring dedicated fans of this genre together to assist the team in shaping aspects of the game’s design. We need your help! Let’s make something amazing, and let’s do it together!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/...6732_large.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/...210c_large.jpg

Mighty No. 9 is an all-new Japanese side-scrolling action game that takes the best aspects of the 8- and 16-bit era classics you know and love, and transforms them with modern tech, fresh mechanics, and fan input into something fresh and amazing!

You play as Beck, the 9th in a line of powerful robots, and the only one not infected by a mysterious computer virus that has caused mechanized creatures the world over to go berserk. Run, jump, blast, and transform your way through six stages (or more, via stretch goals) you can tackle in any order you choose, using weapons and abilities stolen from your enemies to take down your fellow Mighty Number robots and confront the final evil that threatens the planet!

Anyone excited yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The hype. Can't. Contain.

After this they should Kickstart 'Not Mega Man Legends 3, But Totes Mega Man Legends 3'
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks brilliant but how in the world do they expect to not get their pants sued off from this?

I love how they're willing to make a book and box for this but won't press the game to a CD.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nice. just donated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Already 500,000 in less than 24 hours. There you go Capcom, serves you right, let's all forget about megaman and play the real successor.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I backed it because it looks like exactly what I'm craving: A 2-D action platformer with all the graphic muscle of today's PC's. Looking forward to it!!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    Looks brilliant but how in the world do they expect to not get their pants sued off from this?

I love how they're willing to make a book and box for this but won't press the game to a CD.
    Capcom's between a rock and a hard place. If they sue to stop this project, they're only going to lose even MORE potential and longtime customers.

This is Inafune and company going "Fuck you, Capcom. You didn't want to fund this? This is what you get." Good for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Capcom is going to regret treating their greatest mind like crap after this one comes out.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I backed it because it looks like exactly what I'm craving: A 2-D action platformer with all the graphic muscle of today's PC's. Looking forward to it!!
    Same here. First Kickstarter project I have been really excited about in quite a while.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

$20 for a digital copy. I'll just wait until it hits Humble Bundle or $2 on a Steam sale years from now. I do appreciate those that are helping to fund this though since it might be good. If it was a reasonable cost, say $40 for physical copy, I'd help fund it, but no physical copy of the game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    $20 for a digital copy. I'll just wait until it hits Humble Bundle or $2 on a Steam sale years from now. I do appreciate those that are helping to fund this though since it might be good. If it was a reasonable cost, say $40 for physical copy, I'd help fund it, but no physical copy of the game.
    Way to be part of the problem. This is why good games don't get made.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^ Agreed

This is the problem with games today. I can't stand DRM and Steam overall. Steam has many people waiting [apparently years] for $1.00-$5.00 deals. I can see your concern about not wanted to pay $40, but it's that's why you have choices. Not only that, but it is stated that they will take the DRM free route as well. Which is good enough for me. If you really wanted to pledge you could pledge a measly dollar. Literally $1. If it isn't even worth that much to you then I understand. I'm sure many Mega Man fans or the series will support even if it's a buck or a few dollars.

Sorry if my post sounds a bit on the offensive side, but it's rare that we get actual devs who care about the game they helped create into a massive series. Only to see it go hiatus for several years if not longer. Mobile phone releases yet Capcom wants to shell out $100 statues and celebrate the Anniversary etc.

I'm excited to see how this turns out for Mega Man fans and the game itself. The worse thing Capcom can do is make itself look bad. They haven't been in the brightest light lately. They have tried to keep fans happy though.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Digital releases aren't a problem. Restrictive DRM is. I think I may actually back this.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The story sounds very similar to E-102 Gamma from Sonic Adventure. Get upgrades and destroy your fellow brother robots.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    As someone who backed this and has backed many other Kickstarter video games, I don't think refusing to donate to this project makes anyone "part of the problem". I also think many, many great games get made all the time whether through Kickstarter or through a large publisher or through some other means. Kickstarter isn't the only way to finance something and frankly, $20 is a little on the high end for just a download of something like this considering a PSN or XBL game is generally $10-$15 for a 2D platformer like this and generally can be had for less within months of release. Moreover, this will be commercially released and it's not like backers will share in that revenue despite taking the financial risk to get this made. The lack of a disc option is also pretty disappointing since this will allegedly be DRM free and they are printing boxes and manuals and everything else but the discs. So, I backed it because I am excited about it, but I sure as heck don't think you or anyone else has the right to criticize anyone who doesn't feel the same way.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

What a shame that they have to resort to these means to get the game made. Capcom are fools. They will make this goal, but the key are the stretch goals. $2.5 million for console releases.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm getting on this train as well. I'll pick it up later down the road on the cheap.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    There's other ways to get funding than begging to your fans for support. These aren't some small indie devs. These are some pretty high profile developers so you know they've got the money. Why is it they don't put forth their own cash to fund the game? Maybe because they're not confident that the game will sell. Instead, let's just give our money to them on a game that may or may not be good, they'll profit from the Kickstarter money alone, and the game will still be released in the future for them to profit even more from it.

Look how many indie devs have developed multiple good games and haven't used Kickstarter. Some have, sure, but Kickstarter wasn't even a thing when the indie scene first got big. Studio Pixel, one person, developed Cave Story and released the game for free and people could have given him donations. No begging people for money to help him develop a game. He released the game and the option was there to donate or not, and only later was the game officially released to the market. It's still free to download if you don't want to buy the plus version though.

I've already said prior, last week actually, that I don't purchase digital unless it's cheap. I'd rather never play a game regardless how good it is if it meant paying more than $10 for it digital because regardless of how good it is, I will never own the game as a digital copy, DRM free or not. For some reason I'm not a fan of playing digital games regardless of the system it's on and it'll take me a long time to actually download a game and play it. I have over a hundred digital titles on PSN thanks to PS+ and game sharing, I've played less than 10 unless I own the physical copies. I have over 100+ titles on Steam, I've played less than 10 of them. I have over 30 titles I've purchased on GOG which I've played around 20 of those, but not the GOG versions. I've never played any of the games I've purchased on GOG. I purchased them so I'll have them on there as they're some of my favorite PC games, and it was when they were on sale for 75% off. More than likely it's going to be a very long time before I play it, on top of the fact that I don't actually own it. I'm not as interested in starting up a game that's not a physical copy.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-02-2013 at 04:19 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

I really wish this game was being released on a console. If it's a spiritual sequel to Mega Man, then wouldn't it be on a console?... I mean, I understand Capcom may have rights to the PS3 and Xbox or whatever, but what about XBLA or PSN?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's other ways to get funding than begging to your fans for support. These aren't some small indie devs. These are some pretty high profile developers so you know they've got the money. Why is it they don't put forth their own cash to fund the game? Maybe because they're not confident that the game will sell. Instead, let's just give our money to them on a game that may or may not be good, they'll profit from the Kickstarter money alone, and the game will still be released in the future for them to profit even more from it.
    These guys (and galls) are game developers, not movie starts. I doubt even between them they have a million dollars in excess cash that they can sink into the development of the game, if they did, they're all seasoned pros, I'm sure they'd just make the game and put it out there instead of bothering with kickstarter.

Also (I'm assuming) these guys have and office, with up to date technology and so-forth, the cost of running and upstart company probably taxed them financially already. This isn't just one or two people in their bedrooms taking years to build a game in their spare time on a PC that came from best buy.

Back on topic, personally I'd like to donate, but can't see myself giving more than $5 at this point since I'll have no way of playing the game when it's first released (don't have a windows PC).