Thread: Mature rated games

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mature rated games

I don't subscribe to the "kids are stupid and think video games are real" theory. But I do think some games, like movies, are rated mature for a reason. Regardless of how "mature" a parent believes an 8 year old is, I doubt they would rent them a movie with sex and extreme violence even if dad was watching him.
    So it bothers me when they come in and buy Grand Theft Auto vice city for their kids. When I warn them about the mature rating they are almost offended.
    (Mom is buying guide for 8 year old)
    Me to kid: "Is this your dads game?"
    Mom: "No, it's his, but we watch him and he knows what he isn't allowed to do. Like NO GIRLS"
    Kid: "YEAH! I KILL ALL THE GIRLS I SEE!!!!"

Um yeah. That's a lot better.. x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welcome to the occasionally depressing world of game retail. Just wait until one of the parents that you've dutifully warned brings back an opened game and yells at you, claiming "it's too violent for my kid."

In times such as this, I turned to the Book of Gord.

http://www.actsofgord.com/Chronicles/chapter12.html

Gord's website is the perfect thing after you've spent a trying day behind the register, arguing with some irate 14-year-old who refuses to believe that his badly scratched and instructions-free copy of Madden '97 for the PlayStation is worth no more than twenty-five cents in trade.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Yes, praise the Gord! He has a book coming out, I'll probably get it eventually, despite having read through his entire site. I start electronics at the store I'm working in soon, I can't wait to deal with the idiots that come in there </sarcasm>

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

you know the funny part of that gord article is that i actually rented ninja scroll when i was ten, it was my first anime. i thought it was screwed up be it was still good. i'm happy now at age 17 i have a better appreciation for it.

anyways, i HATE when you tell someone somethings not good for there children because the content is literally too much for any "mature" young child. i have another vice city story along the same lines. here it goes:

Every weekend i go to my dads house and bring over 2 systems and about 8 games, his girlfriends son(age 7) loves to come in to play and watch me play vids. As soon as i got Vice city(the day it came out) i told him he couldn't be in the room with me since theres bad stuff that he shouldn't see, he complains to his mom that he cant watch me play it and basically tells me "if he watches R movies with me, he can watch the game" so i just say whatever.

months pass and i start to go through a second time. At one point i go to the Pole position club just to finish that asset by watching a stripper for a while so i tell the kid to step out for a few, which he agrees. afterwards at dinner time the kid says something about naked girls in the game and his mom blows up and me and starts acting like a warden anytime i play vids even though i told her before hand the game had bad stuff in it!!!

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I would'nt even bother trying to trade a Madden 97. Game would go into the garbage at my house due to it's age.

I never trade stuff into a EB or GameStop anyway. When I pay $30 new for a game and the best they offer me is $9, when I can sell it on Amazon (and do) for $20 plus shipping, there's no point in it.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Grand theft auto in my opinion is not all that great for kids don't get me wrong but whats sad is I ACTUALLY SEEN A FRIEND let his son play postal2 now that my friends is insane.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Stringfellow78

Gee that makes me remember when I worked at a movie theater when South Park the movie came out. I had a parent start to get angry with me because I wouldn't sell their kids tickets for the movie. They said something like what's the problem it's just a cartoon? I told them that it was rated R and they said so how bad could it be it's a cartoon. I explained a little about the Sadaam Satan bedroom stuff and at first the parent thought I was kidding. The parent then realized that I wasn't and took her kids and left. At least this parent was smart enough to listen.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stringfellow
    Gee that makes me remember when I worked at a movie theater when South Park the movie came out. I had a parent start to get angry with me because I wouldn't sell their kids tickets for the movie. They said something like what's the problem it's just a cartoon? I told them that it was rated R and they said so how bad could it be it's a cartoon. I explained a little about the Sadaam Satan bedroom stuff and at first the parent thought I was kidding. The parent then realized that I wasn't and took her kids and left. At least this parent was smart enough to listen.
    I watched that movie on TV a couple years back. Those Satan-Saddam scenes were seriously fucked up, especially the one where Saddam..., well, you probably know which one. Actually, one can sum up the whole movie with that: "Fucked up !".
    I didn't mind the Canada thing in there, but the song was a little over the top, to be honest.
    Currently Playing: Day of Defeat (PC)

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all outta gum."
    -Duke Nukem

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went and saw American Wedding this weekend with my wife. She dragged me to it. Anyways, there was a couple there with a three or four year old kid. This one wasn't that bad as far as content went, but still--I couldn't imagine trying to explain to a three year old what a MILF is.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector