Thread: PAL NES overclock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PAL NES overclock

As most of you know, playing NTSC games on a PAL system (or vice-versa) can be a real pain, since there's no "50/60 Hz mod" and most games simply don't work. The PAL versions run slower and have black borders.

However, I was wondering - what if you installed a crystal oscillator to overclock the NES? You could play PAL games at NTSC speeds (and probably fix some of the issues NTSC games have on PAL hardware).

Would this work? If yes, could it also be done on an NTSC system?
    LIVE LONG AND MAY THE TRIFORCE BE WITH YOU!

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You would have to overclock both the CPU and the PPU; and it is the PPU that poses the problem. If you don't overclcok the PPU your games will still run slow, but if you do overclock the PPU it will generate a signal that has PAL timings scaled to 60Hz. Now before you say "that's what I want" I should point out that signal does not conform to any standard, including PAL 60. I also don't believe the NES has a separate color crystal which means that the color burst frequency would be incorrect resulting in a black and white picture.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I don't think an overclock is what your wanting any way in the general sence.
    NES's are very dependent on the timing of the clock cycle so your not looking to give it any more horsepower or umpf but to speed up time for the 60Hz (PAL) games.
    you could probably replace the crystal to do that but your going to speed everything up like a pal system and sure the game will play fine but will display funky still so you'll need something after the CPU/PPU but before the A/V out to step it back down. if all your looking to do is play PAL games then I think there might be a better way