Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Default 2020 Super Baseball

...or for those who played it on the Genesis, that would be "Super Baseball 2020".

I remember playing this game on an arcade cabinet as a kid; I think the one I played was part of a Neo-Geo unit that had a couple other games loaded into it. As a kid, I was too young to understand the complexities of the game. Now that I'm older, and understand baseball a lot more, the game is much more fun to play. In a side-by-side comparison of the console versions (SNES and Genesis), the SNES definitely wins on graphics alone. The game is definitely rough around the edges and lacks an "exhibition mode", but for those who want a fun take on a sports game, this is something I recommend.

Anyone else ever played this, either in the arcade or on a console?

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    ...or for those who played it on the Genesis, that would be "Super Baseball 2020".

I remember playing this game on an arcade cabinet as a kid; I think the one I played was part of a Neo-Geo unit that had a couple other games loaded into it. As a kid, I was too young to understand the complexities of the game. Now that I'm older, and understand baseball a lot more, the game is much more fun to play. In a side-by-side comparison of the console versions (SNES and Genesis), the SNES definitely wins on graphics alone. The game is definitely rough around the edges and lacks an "exhibition mode", but for those who want a fun take on a sports game, this is something I recommend.

Anyone else ever played this, either in the arcade or on a console?
    In the Neo Geo cab. Holy crap, one of my favorite games of all time. My friend had his high school graduation party and the neighbor owned some vending machines and among the juke box and some other crap was a Neo Geo machine with this game. We literally stayed up all night the day before, of, and after his party playing and sneaking beers off of our parents. We just called it "Robot Baseball."

When I discovered the console ports, I was blown away and super pumped. I guess at the time I just overlooked novelty sports games because I was so serious about getting the next NHL or Madden or NCAA games. I guess I should've known the second I played Mutant League Football/Hockey that these novelty games were worth checking out.

God bless Robot Baseball.

I've always vowed that if I ever came into a minor windfall (so far no dice) that I'd grab an AES just to play this masterpiece.

EDIT: Just noticed you're from Mars. Westmoreland County, here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Quote Originally Posted by CastlevaniaDude View Post
    EDIT: Just noticed you're from Mars. Westmoreland County, here.
    Hah! We're almost neighbors. Nice to hear from a fellow PA resident.

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    Hah! We're almost neighbors. Nice to hear from a fellow PA resident.
    There's another dude on here who is from the Brownsville area, too. We seem to be well-represented.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES version if I recall correctly was closer to the NEO GEO version graphically while the Genesis version shared similarities but it seemed to be a bit different. I personally enjoyed the Genesis version more because it played so much smoother and much faster than the SNES version that had a bunch of slowdown and generally seemed sluggish in comparison which took away from the flow and excitement of what should be a fast-paced arcade baseball game. I only recall playing the NEO GEO version once a while ago and I don't recall if it had any slowdown or not. Either way, Super Baseball 2020 was one of my favorite Genesis games and I would play that game to death back in 1997 when I first got it and the graphics seemed so awesome even then to me. I still think the game looks great today for Genesis when watching videos on Youtube.
    Last edited by GhostDog; 09-11-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    The SNES version if I recall correctly was closer to the NEO GEO version graphically while the Genesis version shared similarities but it seemed to be a bit different. I personally enjoyed the Genesis version more because it played so much smoother and much faster than the SNES version that had a bunch of slowdown and generally seemed sluggish in comparison which took away from the flow and excitement of what should be a fast-paced arcade baseball game. I only recall playing the NEO GEO version once a while ago and I don't recall if it had any slowdown or not. Either way, Super Baseball 2020 was one of my favorite Genesis games and I would play that game to death back in 1997 when I first got it and the graphics seemed so awesome even then to me. I still think the game looks great today for Genesis when watching videos on Youtube.
    Graphically, the SNES version is certainly closer to the Neo Geo. The Genesis version looks very washed out, and much of the interface is just gray, whereas the SNES uses color everywhere.

However, in terms of gameplay, I do think the Genesis version is closer to the Neo Geo. For one thing, the Genesis version kept the crackers (i.e. land mines) which the SNES left out. The Genesis also displays a running clock, which the Neo Geo had but the SNES left out. Also, I feel like the teams play differently despite their stats being equal in both games. On the SNES I'm playing as Tokyo, which is rated 8/10 on hitting, and I swear I can't buy myself a hit! All they do is pop up or foul balls off. But on the Genesis, they're cracking hits all over the field.

It's almost as if the Neo Geo version split into two copies of itself, but each copy has something that the other lacks. Very strange, but that makes it nice for comparing the SNES to the Genesis.