Thread: ColecoVision "Mr. Do!" - Music Differences

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default ColecoVision "Mr. Do!" - Music Differences

Here are some notable differences in music regarding the ColecoVision port of Mr. Do! vs. the arcade version:

* The first movement of the level theme remains; but the second movement (the "Can Can" music) is replaced. The second movement music from the CV version was also used as the intro and stage clear theme in the Atari 2600 port.
    * The stage clear/pause music is actually the name entry theme from the arcade version.
    * The Alphamonster+Munchers theme is replaced by a dull beeping sound.
    * The life lost music is also replaced by a different tune.
    * Game Over theme is the same.

Do you think that the CV version of Mr. Do! could've been audibly better than it was?

~Ben

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    * The stage clear/pause music is actually the name entry theme from the arcade version.
    Pause music? You mean the funky blues riff that plays when you press * ? That wasn't in the Arcade version, was it?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Pause music? You mean the funky blues riff that plays when you press * ? That wasn't in the Arcade version, was it?
    Oh, yes it was... like I said originally, on the arcade version you could hear that same tune after losing your last life and the name entry screen comes up.

~Ben

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, considering I played about a bazillion hours of both the arcade and the Colecovision versions of the game and the music didn't drive me batty, I'd say it's fine the way it is. I just wish someone would make a level editor for this game (or just more levels).

What really twists my brain in knots is playing the original Japanese version of the game (Yukidaruma). The music is just different enough to give you that 'parallel universe' reaction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    Oh, yes it was... like I said originally, on the arcade version you could hear that same tune after losing your last life and the name entry screen comes up.
    Can you find a Youtube video of this? I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

I don't mean the music playing at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...x1BwfuAk#t=474 , if that's what you're referring to. This is not the music that plays when you pause Mr. Do on the ColecoVision.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 09-17-2013 at 12:20 AM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can you find a Youtube video of this? I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

I don't mean the music playing at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...x1BwfuAk#t=474 , if that's what you're referring to. This is not the music that plays when you pause Mr. Do on the ColecoVision.

(original arcade version - skip to 7:54)

(ColecoVision version - skip to 12:01)

~Ben
    Last edited by ColecoFan1981; 09-18-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Then it seems there are two different versions of Mr. Do! out there! What an interesting discovery. The version I remembered turned the screen green when the pause key was pressed, and played an entirely different, unique song. I think it must have been the CBS ColecoVision version.

This is worthy of further investigation...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Then it seems there are two different versions of Mr. Do! out there! What an interesting discovery. The version I remembered turned the screen green when the pause key was pressed, and played an entirely different, unique song. I think it must have been the CBS ColecoVision version.

This is worthy of further investigation...
    I'd love to see the version of Mr. Do! you claim to have (the CBSCV version).

~Ben

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Someone over at AtariAge confirms that those two versions, at least, are identical. Maybe I'm thinking of Omega Race? (I don't know how I would have gotten the two games confused.)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Someone over at AtariAge confirms that those two versions, at least, are identical. Maybe I'm thinking of Omega Race? (I don't know how I would have gotten the two games confused.)
    I don't understand why you'd been getting them mixed up all of a sudden, then. I knew I was correct all along... maybe I could've posted the two videos side-by-side in the same reply for your convenience.

~Ben

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't understand either. This lapse in my memory is quite alarming, actually. I do sincerely apologize and am very grateful that you have prevented me from spreading further misinformation about Mr. Do in the future.

If you're curious, I've uploaded Omega Race's funky pause music at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQbEYJtak9g .

Anyway, I found the dull beeping sound of the AlphaMonster+Munchers theme on the ColecoVision version, combined with the screen turning blood-red, was always ominous and not at all in keeping with the tone of the rest of the game. It made it seem like taking the Treat regularly was something to be strongly avoided. The jauntiness of the arcade version is a considerable improvement, I think.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 09-18-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It also appears the CV and 2600 versions' main title theme was taken from the prototype of the arcade version ("Yukidaruma" or "snow man"), where our hero is depicted not as a clown but as a snowman. The level backgrounds for the home ports were also influenced by the prototype. So, too, was the life lost theme.

~Ben
    Last edited by ColecoFan1981; 04-17-2015 at 12:49 AM.