Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kickstarter-funded 'The 90s Arcade Racer' for Wii U, PC, Mac - Inspiried by Daytona USA, Indy 500, Scud Race

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

While the music seems a bit better in that video, some criticisms people were noting from the last video a few months ago still stand. Still too much power sliding in every turn , still seems to be an abundance of wide open corners, and while I haven't seen anyone else complain, I still really don't like their camera.

I'm willing to let them add a little flair to it when power sliding to show off the angle of your car. But why isn't the camera more rigidly aligned to your vehicle when cornering normally? Doesn't look good, I think, and as someone very particular about how the camera is setup in chase views in racing games, I already know I'm not going to care for how this one operates.

I just hope that there's alternate views like a roof view.

And their fake scanline effect from the last video for the Outrunners based desert track, is something I hope is gone for the release version. Looks as awful as what the XRGB Mini can do, which doesn't look anything like CRT scan lines.

And we need a Sega Rally based circuit. Seemingly every other iconic 90's Sega arcade racer has seen some attention here, but not that one, yet.

Any word on online multiplayer?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-14-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just read about another game that may be of interest to many of you, called Horizon Chase.

It's inspired by Top Gear, perhaps the greatest sprite scaling console racer of all time, that was developed by Gremlin Interactive in the early 1990's for the Super Nintendo. They even have the same music composer onboard, which is obviously key to the experience for anyone familiar with Top Gear.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...ng_to_consoles

Hopefully a Wii U version follows. Now if the Final Freeway guys would just add that one to the Wii U eShop (Another modern sprite scaling arcade racer inspired by classics like Top Gear and Outrun). Almost bought a Gamestick just for that one.

Plus, I really wish that Vectrex Regeneration, another mobile exclusive, would make it out there. But that's really straying off-topic...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Top Gear was a good game for the SNES so that is interesting. I skimmed it, but didn't see kickstarter mentioned so I guess this is just being done the normal way?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Now if the Final Freeway guys would just add that one to the Wii U eShop (Another modern sprite scaling arcade racer inspired by classics like Top Gear and Outrun). Almost bought a Gamestick just for that one.
    Just had this video suggested to me by YouTube, and thought I'd post it.

Partly to show off another one of these "retro" style indie arcade racers, but also, to demonstrate a potential issue here that I've meant to mention before. The 90's Arcade Racer guys really need to be careful with the difficulty level and not ease things so much that it becomes a cakewalk when played with proper controls on a system like the Wii U.

Going to be very disappointing if it ends up devoid of challenge like Final Freeway, otherwise a fine looking throwback to games like Outrun, sure looks to be. And all these wide open turns we're seeing so much of in videos, isn't doing much to allay that concern...

An arcade racer without much of a challenge, isn't much of an arcade racer.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-16-2015 at 07:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You're right about easiness. There has been traditionally a free to play version of Final Freeway out there on IOS and Android. I'm not all that good at racers as I once was as I gave up on them out of boredom, but it reminded me of Outrun, and the few times I played it, I killed it and got bored and eventually erased it. It wasn't the game was not well handled or fun, it just got rapidly boring after doing the same thing time and again with a challenge adequate for a 5 year old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...s_arcade_racer

There's the list of tracks. Looks like the desert track that's very reminiscent of a course from Outrunners, didn't make the final cut.

Another area of concern here beyond the apparent ease of the driving and the generally wide open nature of the circuits that have been shown off so far, is the lack of any competitors. If they really want to make something special that is more than just a hollow nod to past classics, we need to be racing on more than just virtually empty roads.

I hope that like any good arcade racer, there's a reason to come back to this after the first hour or so...
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-21-2015 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've been waiting so long for this to come out, I'm getting nostalgic about it. Now I need a 90's Arcade Racer Racer, that mimics this game but in glorious 4K. Actually, I think I already made this bad joke before.

So.... they have been working on improving the AI for months now, and yet that one car just slams into the outer railing at around 33 seconds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think everyone's enthusiasm is waning, but hopefully they successfully reach the finish line someday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Perhaps to be retro and cool they're waiting on the 2090's to release the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Perhaps more interesting to me is Horizon Chase.

Looks like this 21st century homage to console and computer classics like Top Gear and Lotus Turbo Challenge gets it right.

All I see wrong in videos is the silence of your competitors, which hopefully will be rectified with some engine sounds if they follow through with their plans to bring it to consoles (They recently announced a PS4 port). And pit stops like Top Gear included sadly seem to be absent. Hopefully their console releases at least include splitscreen support.

Here's a good review of it.

http://toucharcade.com/2015/08/26/horizon-chase-review/
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-24-2016 at 06:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I see it's iOS, now to see if it's Android too. I'd rather have it on my shield which I could ramp through the TV using a bluetooth gamepad. That looks even more fun than 90s Racer.

I still have no bloody reason why I don't own the original Top Gear on SNES as it's solid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

An Android release is in the works and is slated for 2015, so you'll be all set soon.

A Steam version is also underway, although further releases on dedicated consoles besides the PS4 seems to be unclear at this time. They've expressed desire though to bring this to other platforms, so hopefully some more systems will join the fun. The Vita, a haven for independent releases, would seem like a good match I think. And the Wii U isn't doing too shabby these days with indies, so hopefully this makes it to Nintendo's system (Particularly since the wait for 90's Arcade Racer doesn't seem set to be ending anytime soon).

Kind of doubt it will ever reach the 360/XB1 since Microsoft seems to be taking a difficult stance this generation with small developers/publishers, but maybe a PS3 version isn't out of reach given the commonality between it and the Vita and its still growing and sizable install base that will remain an active concern for quite sometime yet.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I gotta try this now.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not news on the topic of this thread, but another retro inspired racer has been announced.

http://www.80soverdrive.com/

Judging by the screenshots, this one also shows some promise. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Looks interesting but not likely to see a real release, just a download.