Thread: How should I handle this situation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Default How should I handle this situation?

I have a situation right now on eBay where the buyer bought a game from me, but is telling me that his address is incorrect on the order form and wants me to ship to an alternate address (thus removing my seller protection). I have contacted him multiple times and he is stating that his new address is confirmed on both paypal and eBay. I've contacted eBay support and they simply tell me to contact the buyer and explain the situation (which I've already done).

The last rep told me to give the buyer a refund and open a new invoice on paypal. I'm not sure if this will solve the problem, but I wanted to check to see if anyone has dealt with this issue before. The way I see it, I have three options:

1. Be a dick like most eBay sellers in this situation and just send to the address on the order form, and then when he claims that he never received the package, I at least have the security that I've followed all the policies on the order forms. I'll eat a negative feedback (which I don't give a shit about), but I'll complete the transaction.

2. Just don't send the package and give the guy a refund and state that I am unable to ship it to him at this time and he is free to repurchase the game again when it's resisted. I'll have to eat a negative feedback but at least with this way, I won't risk losing the game and money.

3. Submit another invoice to the buyer and refund him his original purchase.

This almost smells like a scam to me, but I wanted to get others input.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I would think if you gave the guy a full refund if he gives you a negative feedback and you challenge the negative with ebay they should be able to remove it because they can see you sent the full refund. It's just like how you can cancel a transaction if your item didn't sell for as much money as you needed to get for it. You can claim postal error and send the refund without getting dinged.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I think I had this problem before. As I recall, the buyer did change his address with paypal after the auction/payment completed, but this wouldn't change the existing paypal transaction. I don't remember what we ended up doing, but it may have been the refund/resend invoice that did the trick (your #3). And since that is your easiest option and it can't hurt anything, I'd certainly give it a try.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I had to deal with this recently, but only because the USPS wouldn't ship to the guy's address because he used "EXPY" instead of Expressway. We had to do a refund, wait a week for his credit card to get credited, then he bought it again with the correct address. Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic