Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Capcom Conspiracy: Why did they ruin Final Fight 2 and FF Guy?

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    That's the conspiracy theory there if you think Final Fight 2 was delayed to shovel out GUY as a rental title (or retail in Japan) as FF2 came out before FFG. FFG wasn't even intended for sale in the US, Capcom saw money only from Blockbuster buying rental copies off them so your argument really doesn't work. I get your idea coming off the art style of it all but unless you can get a Capcom rep or ex-rep who was on or knowing of the project I'm not buying into it.
    From that standpoint yes but I'm only talking about the Japanese releases since the Super Famicom release of both FF2 and FFG were only a few months apart. Going by the in game story line of FF2 it heavily looks like Guy was going to be the central character until maybe Capcom decided to go in another direction like making another cheap and easy expansion like FFG. All I have is a conspiracy for now but I'm pretty sure Capcom higher ups would have tight lips on any employees that would dare speak out and they have been known to have rough relationships with designers before like Keiji Inafune.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    All I have is a conspiracy for now but I'm pretty sure Capcom higher ups would have tight lips on any employees that would dare speak out and they have been known to have rough relationships with designers before like Keiji Inafune.
    *snickers*
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's the conspiracy theory there if you think Final Fight 2 was delayed to shovel out GUY as a rental title (or retail in Japan) as FF2 came out before FFG. FFG wasn't even intended for sale in the US, Capcom saw money only from Blockbuster buying rental copies off them so your argument really doesn't work. I get your idea coming off the art style of it all but unless you can get a Capcom rep or ex-rep who was on or knowing of the project I'm not buying into it.
    To be fair, even though it's been shown that the US retail release was tiny, it did exist. It wasn't just a rental-only game here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

The video you posted is pretty horrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    To be fair, even though it's been shown that the US retail release was tiny, it did exist. It wasn't just a rental-only game here.
    I seen two US versions of Final Fight Guy out there too. One with the Blockbuster label in a orange box (rental), one with the standard black Snes box (retail).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johno590 View Post
    The video you posted is pretty horrible.
    OK, I'm open to critics but most seemed to like the video since it at least got people talking about why Final Fight isn't a bigger franchise. What was your problem with the video?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    Yeah, I walked into this thread thinking the same thing. Final Fight 2 is a classic. Now 3... a bit of a misstep IMHO. Streets Of Rage 2 will always top this game however in style and gameplay... well music too. EVERYTHING.
    I'm not saying Final Fight 2 is really a bad game and I even gave it a passing grade in a review. I'm just saying it's odd how Guy may have been omitted from the game originally since the story line is so focused on his character yet he's not playable. Ohya, and I agree that Streets of Rage 2 is awesome!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You are really reaching with this conspiracy, but at least you got folks talking about Final Fight!

Personally, I really like FF2. Yeah, it stinks having no Guy or Cody, but the game plays well and has co-op. I do feel FF3 is a step down, but still playable and fun.

I still occasionally play FF on SNES. It was my first FF game and despite all of the cuts we know are made to the game...it's still fun. I love the setting, music, characters, and the tight controls. True it would have been great to have Guy and co-op, but that's just the way the old cookie crumbles sometimes.
    I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming
    Me Youtube, Captain Natron

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_N77 View Post
    You are really reaching with this conspiracy, but at least you got folks talking about Final Fight!

Personally, I really like FF2. Yeah, it stinks having no Guy or Cody, but the game plays well and has co-op. I do feel FF3 is a step down, but still playable and fun.

I still occasionally play FF on SNES. It was my first FF game and despite all of the cuts we know are made to the game...it's still fun. I love the setting, music, characters, and the tight controls. True it would have been great to have Guy and co-op, but that's just the way the old cookie crumbles sometimes.
    It's a long shot but I still think it's very odd how similar Carlos and Guy are to one another. Again, I don't hate the game Final Fight 2 but when I reviewed it, the sequel just felt like it was missing something. There seems to be a lot of love for FF2 but it's odd that Capcom themselves only re-released the game on the Wii VC so far and not the other systems.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The second game was exclusive to the SNES so it's not really a big deal if it's exclusive on the Wii VC. The first game wasn't a Nintendo exclusive, besides the arcade version there was the Sega CD version which came out 2 years after the SNES port. I'm pretty sure Final Fight 3 is only on the Wii VC as well. What's weird is there's no home version of Final Fight Revenge besides the Japanese Saturn, even though it was an American produced game.

I won't believe it's a conspiracy unless Jesse Ventura does an episode on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have to agree with Captain N77. FF is a fine game even with the lousy cuts. I still will fire it up now and again and played it like hell for years. The thing is all of them are good titles, and I think FF3 if anything gets a bad wrap. I think that one has a neat mechanic to the fighting as it has these street fighter 2 'lite' presses you can do for beefier moves which was a nice touch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The second game was exclusive to the SNES so it's not really a big deal if it's exclusive on the Wii VC. The first game wasn't a Nintendo exclusive, besides the arcade version there was the Sega CD version which came out 2 years after the SNES port. I'm pretty sure Final Fight 3 is only on the Wii VC as well. What's weird is there's no home version of Final Fight Revenge besides the Japanese Saturn, even though it was an American produced game.

I won't believe it's a conspiracy unless Jesse Ventura does an episode on it.
    I thought for sure though FF2 would have been ported to the GBA at least especially since Capcom called their port of Final Fight GBA Final Fight One. I assumed Final Fight Two would have around the corner but it never happened. Heh heh, Jesse Ventura has his own conspiracies and potential lawsuit with comparisons to Mike Hagger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree with Captain N77. FF is a fine game even with the lousy cuts. I still will fire it up now and again and played it like hell for years. The thing is all of them are good titles, and I think FF3 if anything gets a bad wrap. I think that one has a neat mechanic to the fighting as it has these street fighter 2 'lite' presses you can do for beefier moves which was a nice touch.
    I love Final Fight 3 too.