Thread: Blue discoloration on snes game connector. What is it?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Horsehead's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Blue discoloration on snes game connector. What is it?

I was given a copy of Megaman X3 the other day. When I got home I noticed a weird blue discoloration on the connector part of the cartridge. I was wondering if anyone knew what this was and if it makes the game unplayable? I don't have a Super Nintendo at the moment to test it.

I was given it with the intention to sell it on Ebay. How badly would this affect the price? If it turns out it doesn't work is it still worth anything?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	7111

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

It might be a small level of corrosion. If it doesn't work it's only worth the parts that are still remaining.

Nintendo parts sometimes do that. I've got a lot of CPUs for Nintendo vs pcbs that start to get a green corrosion around the pins. Some of them don't work after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Corrosion eh? Is it fixable? Is it possible to replace the connector on a game like this?

Thanks for the quick response!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

I think this link should help you. http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/nes...aintenance.htm

The guy says his copy of Kirby Super Star was corroded (along with the screws) and this cleaning method made it work again. Do you not have a SNES to test it on?... Cause that might be a problem if you're looking to sell it. Whether it works or not, people want to know if it has been tested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have had a few cartridges with worse corrosion than that over the years. A little fine grain sandpaper and 91% isopropyl alcohol cure all ills.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll definitely try and clean up the cartridge before I sell it now.

World Class Internet User Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goob47 View Post
    I think this link should help you. http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/nes...aintenance.htm

The guy says his copy of Kirby Super Star was corroded (along with the screws) and this cleaning method made it work again. Do you not have a SNES to test it on?... Cause that might be a problem if you're looking to sell it. Whether it works or not, people want to know if it has been tested.
    I'd only recommend Brasso as a last resort, as it's pretty darn abrasive. I'd also recommend diluting it with a bit of alcohol or something as well. I've used it a couple of times, and it wore down the gold plating, which I've read hastens corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    I have had a few cartridges with worse corrosion than that over the years. A little fine grain sandpaper and 91% isopropyl alcohol cure all ills.
    One of my first posts here was me saying that very fine sandpaper would probably be as effective as Brasso, and was treated like an idiot for it by another member. Better hope he ain't reading your post. Though, I'd probably only recommend very fine sandpaper if Brasso somehow fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon
    And anyone that would claim that ANY grit of sandpaper might not be as damaging as polish, well I would say their OPINION is very suspect as they obviously don't know much.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I wouldn't use sandpaper to clean connectors, not that it won't work but it just makes it look ugly with scratches. Corrosion usually isn't that hard to get rid of, it often just comes off with a q-tip and alcohol or even just water. If you can open the cart up an eraser will take off the corrosion, then you can close it up and clean with a q-tip to finish it off.

If the traces corroded through then that's a different problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Skip the sandpaper, skip the Brasso.

A little TarnX followed by a good cleaning with some isopropyl will get the job done without abrasives and with little to no effort on top of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwario64 View Post
    One of my first posts here was me saying that very fine sandpaper would probably be as effective as Brasso, and was treated like an idiot for it by another member. Better hope he ain't reading your post. Though, I'd probably only recommend very fine sandpaper if Brasso somehow fails.
    Posters talking down to others is a common problem among internet forums. So sorry someone misinformed you. I have had video games since 1980 and currently own over 4,000 titles. Never had a problem with fine grain sandpaper, actually some great results. I stand by my claim and the naysayers are the least of my worries.

World Class Internet User Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I wouldn't use sandpaper to clean connectors, not that it won't work but it just makes it look ugly with scratches. Corrosion usually isn't that hard to get rid of, it often just comes off with a q-tip and alcohol or even just water. If you can open the cart up an eraser will take off the corrosion, then you can close it up and clean with a q-tip to finish it off.
    Yeah, erasers have always been very effective for me if plain alcohol fails. I won't recommend even (extremely fine) sandpaper, but can understand it being used as an absolutely final, final resort in case everything else somehow fails, and even then it probably won't do much.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Posters talking down to others is a common problem among internet forums.
    Trust me, I know that. :lol: I'm new here (though have lurked for 4 or 5 years), but I've been interwebbing on forums since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx
    Skip the sandpaper, skip the Brasso.

A little TarnX followed by a good cleaning with some isopropyl will get the job done without abrasives and with little to no effort on top of that.
    Never heard of TarnX. Since you recommended it, I'll have to look into it in case I come across a bad looking cart.
    Last edited by Metalwario64; 09-29-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd never use fine grit sandpaper, something similar though -- magic eraser. Use it wet if you just need a little help, dry if you need more and then barely wipe to good pressure depending on the damage to the pins. If it's just black tarnish then a qtip is fine, but you get into other colors, rust, muck and other corrosives it goes a very long way. I say away from Windex due to ammonia and Brasso just doesn't seem like something I'd want in the system either so i stick with 91% isorpopyl alcohol.