Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RETRO: Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine - KICKSTARTER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RETRO: Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine - KICKSTARTER

Hey Everyone,

GameGavel and The RetroGamingRoundup podcast are preparing to launch a Kickstarter to create a brand new print and digital magazine that will feature columns from some of the most notable video gaming journalists and personalities from the past three decades. The plan is to also have the digital magazine integrate with auction listings on GameGavel to help bring in more people to buy and sell. Should be a great combination. Also, talking with Play N Trade about national magazine distribution. The Kickstarter will go live very soon! Hope to have your support!

Magazine Sizzle Video: http://youtu.be/5MGmtzm6Pp4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

I'm really looking forward to an alternative to the extremely expensive Retro Gamer magazine. Definitely going to fund this.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goob47 View Post
    I'm really looking forward to an alternative to the extremely expensive Retro Gamer magazine. Definitely going to fund this.
    If you subscribe to Retro Gamer, it's only about $7 an issue to the US if you use the code "CLASSIC" which has been available for literally years now. IMHO it's worth every penny. I am curious to see what this new magazine looks like (the video is slick, but it's hard to tell what the content really will be like) and what the business plan is going forward. I've seen a lot of similar attempts over the past few years and the one thing that always trips them up is a lack of a viable advertising and distribution model. Hopefully they have a really solid and experienced ad sales and marketing team on board.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Yeah, the reason Retro Gamer may appear expensive is because it doesn't rely on an advertising model like some many US publications. Hence you get plenty of content and barely any ads bulking the page count.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds good, looking forward to it.

And PLEASE format the e-version for iPad.
    Some magazines seeem to think that all you have to do is digitize a print medium & that's that.

Yes, I'm looking at you, WIRED ....
    "Technology Alone Is Not Enough.
    Married With The Liberal Arts & The Humanities,
    It Yields Us The Results That Make Our Hearts Sing."

STEVEN P. JOBS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    If you subscribe to Retro Gamer, it's only about $7 an issue to the US if you use the code "CLASSIC" which has been available for literally years now. IMHO it's worth every penny. I am curious to see what this new magazine looks like (the video is slick, but it's hard to tell what the content really will be like) and what the business plan is going forward. I've seen a lot of similar attempts over the past few years and the one thing that always trips them up is a lack of a viable advertising and distribution model. Hopefully they have a really solid and experienced ad sales and marketing team on board.
    Whoah... Where would you apply this? The only place I can find that does subscriptions is Amazon, and when I tried entering in the code, nothing happened. I absolutely despised the FPS-based GameInformer magazine. Total shit.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goob47 View Post
    Whoah... Where would you apply this? The only place I can find that does subscriptions is Amazon, and when I tried entering in the code, nothing happened. I absolutely despised the FPS-based GameInformer magazine. Total shit.
    http://www.imaginesubs.co.uk/

You just change the country to US and enter the promo code below and the 50 pound price (i.e. about $75 a year) comes up. That's how I've done it the past three years and never had a problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine with an All-Star Writing Team! Kickstarter is now live and we need your support! Check it out. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...deo-game-magaz

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Gonna sit this one out.
    In the odd instance I feel like reading a review or article, there is a wide internet of free information for me to choose from.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, when this post first appeared, I did what I usually do with anything to do with RetroGamingRoundup, which was roll my eyes and ignore it. I actually used to like that podcast, but got turned off of it real hard a couple of years ago after increasingly strident and bizarre anti-Obama rants began creeping in for no readily apparent or useful reason. But, you know, its their podcast and they can say anything they want. I just didn't understand why it was necessary to so bluntly alienate a portion of the retro gaming audience based on differing political viewpoints. So, whatever, I didn't put up a fuss online or post a negative iTunes review, I just unsubscribed and that was that.

What genuinely shocked and surprised me was to just now hear both Jeremy Parish and Kat Bailey mention the Retro magazine kickstarter, and are apparently going to be writing for it as well. I mean, Retronauts is kinda the flagship retrogaming podcast as far as I'm concerned, and both Jeremy Parish and Chris Kohler are some of the most knowledgeably and eloquent writers around when it comes to videogaming history. This project is genuinely exciting, and if the same people who backed the current season of the Retronauts podcast are willing to back this as well, I have no doubt it will be successful. I mean, in spite of the impression I've gotten from the personalities behind RetroGamingRoundup, this project is hugely impressive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

Woah, Pat Contri?! I definitely need to donate now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just announcing that Joe, John & Sean will contribute a column promoting the Video Game History Museum. Their column will feature in-depth discussions and interviews dealing with some of the rarest items in the museum collection. We are excited to have them on board RETRO! Look for their combined bio added to the campaign page this weekend!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...deo-game-magaz

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Nice! The contributing writer list was already a who's who of game collecting. I'll be backing it, just deciding if I want to go digital, or harvest a few trees.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the idea, and I like the list of contributors, but could you not have made a more original name? I mean, do you think that Retro Gaming magazine is going to actually allow you to call your magazine "Retro" without a fight?
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Cherry (Level 1) Canadian Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Akito01 View Post
    You know, when this post first appeared, I did what I usually do with anything to do with RetroGamingRoundup, which was roll my eyes and ignore it. I actually used to like that podcast, but got turned off of it real hard a couple of years ago after increasingly strident and bizarre anti-Obama rants began creeping in for no readily apparent or useful reason. But, you know, its their podcast and they can say anything they want. I just didn't understand why it was necessary to so bluntly alienate a portion of the retro gaming audience based on differing political viewpoints. So, whatever, I didn't put up a fuss online or post a negative iTunes review, I just unsubscribed and that was that.
    Never heard of them before, but I find it refreshing that they don't refrain to "stridently" and "bizarrely" rant against The Messiah. I mean, it's not like anti-George W. Bush rants have ever been a thing, right? lol...

On topic: I have been a Retro Gamer subscriber since 2009 and while I generally enjoy the magazine, there is much room for improvement IMO (according to my taste in videogames, of course!). I get that they are from the UK, but I couldn't care less about European 8 and 16 bit computers of yore. Nor am I interested in the homebrew scene. I wish Retro Gamer (or Retro, for that matter) would focus more on the collecting and Japanese import scènes (console wise). Please keep us updated.
    Last edited by Canadian Psycho; 10-11-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to back it, but does this really have a shot at reaching $50k?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This look interesting. Ive seen Mikes vids on Youtube very entertaining. Amazed how many great deals he finds. He sure loves his Atari. He looks like Jon Favreau.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
    Never heard of them before, but I find it refreshing that they don't refrain to "stridently" and "bizarrely" rant against The Messiah. I mean, it's not like anti-George W. Bush rants have ever been a thing, right? lol...
    lol. Agreed.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    http://www.imaginesubs.co.uk/

You just change the country to US and enter the promo code below and the 50 pound price (i.e. about $75 a year) comes up. That's how I've done it the past three years and never had a problem.
    Same here. I've been subscribing this way for at least 5 years. There is a thread here on Digital Press that usually gets updated if the subscription code ever changes.

Depending on what the exchange rate is, some years it has been very cheap ( less than $7 shipped per issue).
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is that UK retro magazine a purely Euro-centric magazine? If so, I'll keep passing on it.

As far as this new Retro magazine goes, I saw the names Seanbaby and Kat Bailey and.....yeah. Gonna pass on this one too.