Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RETRO: Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine - KICKSTARTER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default WIN a RetroN 5

Come on in and have a chance to win a RetroN 5!

http://www.faceitpages.com/timeline....M_iEg.facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RETRO Focus

Just wanted to drop this in here as we have been called out, and correctly so, for not discussing more of what we will be focusing on within the pages of RETRO!

This should help

RETRO will feature coverage of games from every era, including classic gaming systems, current and next generation consoles and upcoming independently funded projects, with an emphasis on:

•Extensive retrospectives on classic consoles and the games (and ill-fated add-ons) that made them famous.
    •RETRO reviews of classic games across countless genres.
    •Reviews of current generation products with a focus on franchise reboots, games with classic licensing tie-ins and modern games that build on 8, 16 and 32-bit gaming's core principles.
    •In-depth interviews with modern-day icons, our industry's founding fathers and up-and-coming developers of games with old-school sensibilities.
    •Roundtable discussions with some of gaming's most respected personalities, including RETRO's own panel of revered contributors.
    •Monthly "Top 10"-style features on the best games, consoles and moments in gaming history.
    •In-depth news regarding the latest reboots, industry icons getting back into the business, hot indie games and Kickstarter projects and a dash of current generation information
    •Lifestyle pieces on gaming gear, industry conventions, licensing tie-ins other entertainment mediums and other random nerdiness.
    •Columns from some of the industry's top journalists, developers and video game personalities.
    •Extensive guides and game-busting cheats on those titles you still never got around to beating.
    •Reader interaction and feedback via polls, reader mail, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and more.

We will also be introducing our Editor in Chief very soon! This magazine will be in very good hands! We appreciate everyone's support and need all of it we can get as we move closer to the end of our campaign. Thanks again,

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...deo-game-magaz

Mike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboomer View Post
    With all due respect, I ran ChaseTheChuckwagon.com first and then bought out the domain name GameGavel.com from the "tool" who started it over here after he failed with it. I don't think you are talking about me For God's sake, almost everyone has been using "my" GameGavel.com for free the past five years so I am making nothing from it.
    I understand postulio was saying things when postulio is going against you, but I am going to ask you to not refer to the founder of GameGavel.com as a tool and "passing the buck" from what this guy is talking about to another person. If you and this person you responded to have any beef (and it appears he has beef with you), then please do not pass the buck and refer to name calling on people who you bought the domain from.

I personally know the founder of GameGavel, Jasen, and we go back a ways, so the name calling is not appreciated.

I don't post often in here anymore, but kindly asking you to not refer to Jasun as a tool (I think that is how his name is spelled, but I always mess it up).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    I understand somebody was saying things when somebody is going against you, but I am going to ask you to not refer to the founder of GameGavel.com as a tool and "passing the buck" from what this guy is talking about to another person. If you and this person you responded to have any beef (and it appears he has beef with you), then please do not pass the buck and refer to name calling on people who you bought the domain from.

I personally know the founder of GameGavel, Jasun, and we go back a ways, so the name calling is not appreciated.

I don't post often in here anymore, but kindly asking you to not refer to Jasun as a tool (I think that is how his name is spelled, but I always mess it up).
    Postulio refered to him as a "tool", that is why he put it in quotations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flam View Post
    Postulio refered to him as a "tool", that is why he put it in quotations.
    That is between postulio and Mike, but Mike said, "oh, you are referring to the person I bought it from who is a tool, obviously not me". Look, I am not stirring the pot, since others can do that just fine without me. I am simply asking him to not refer to Jasen as a tool, that's all. If postulio and Mike want to go back and forth, that is between them, but passing name calling to another person, and passively calling Jasen a tool, is uncalled for.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Someone is sounding an awful lot like a tool here.

Anyway, back to topic.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's Jasen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    It's Jasen.
    Whoops. I knew I was going to mess up the spelling. Thanks dude. I am going to go back and correct the spelling on my posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Someone is sounding an awful lot like a tool here.

Anyway, back to topic.
    I am all for people directly calling me a tool. I can live with that. I will then discuss it with you so that you understand what a tool is and how when used in an incorrect context, it is simply used as a way to throw insults. Yeah, in many contexts of the word, being a tool is when you are being used by others (regardless of who those others are) for their gain. You know, you are being used. You are just a tool. Sorry, but defending somebody is not what I would really consider a tool. I see nothing wrong with publicly defending a person who is passively getting insults thrown at him, especially when I have done work with the person in the past. If you think that makes me a tool, I am being used by Jasen, then we can continue that conversation, and probably do it through PM's to not derail this thread. Honestly, and I know I am repeating, I see nothing wrong with publicly defending a person who is passively getting insults pushed in his direction. There is no need to insult me for stepping up and saying something about it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I am all for people directly calling me a tool. I can live with that. I will then discuss it with you so that you understand what a tool is and how when used in an incorrect context, it is simply used as a way to throw insults. Yeah, in many contexts of the word, being a tool is when you are being used by others (regardless of who those others are) for their gain. You know, you are being used. You are just a tool. Sorry, but defending somebody is not what I would really consider a tool. I see nothing wrong with publicly defending a person who is passively getting insults thrown at him, especially when I have done work with the person in the past. If you think that makes me a tool, I am being used by Jasen, then we can continue that conversation, and probably do it through PM's to not derail this thread. Honestly, and I know I am repeating, I see nothing wrong with publicly defending a person who is passively getting insults pushed in his direction. There is no need to insult me for stepping up and saying something about it.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious
    Ya overly sensitive tool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

At least you guys obviously know your stuff, so that's good for starters (The guy who runs the UK Retro Gamer thought the Atari 8 bit came out in 1983)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am just fine with you saying whatever you want to me. You also pointed out later on that you were just joshing me, so I am ok with that. I have no beef with you.

I am simply making a point that passively name calling on other people, especially when others in this message board, which is a really old message board, know the people who are passively getting trash talked on them is uncalled for.

I mean, between me and you, I am more than willing to have some fun and go back and forth with you, but I am not saying things like, "Oh, Person X is facetious, not me. You couldn't be talking about me and must be referring to the other person". Yeah, that is not cool to do.

But yeah, call me what you want and I will be happy with it, and, in fact, some of it will probably be true. I am not the perfect specimen of man. I am not Brad Pitt or anything, even though I think of myself like that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboomer View Post
    With all due respect, I ran ChaseTheChuckwagon.com first and then bought out the domain name GameGavel.com from the "tool" who started it over here after he failed with it. I don't think you are talking about me For God's sake, almost everyone has been using "my" GameGavel.com for free the past five years so I am making nothing from it.
    Actually, I did not know that. Foot meet mouth. Apologies. I am now a backer of yours on Kickstarter, wish you the best and looking forward to seeing a closer to home RetroGamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Please no personal attacks. I don't see how you can question the credibility of the contributors when most of them have written for successful magazines in the past, and published highly regarded books?
    No personal attacks, just saying what others are too nice to. Also, I wasn't attacking anyone so much as was giving a reason to not back it, which has now been set straight so everything is all good.

I never questioned the credibility of the contributors either. Whether I like some of the contributors or not (I don't) is not relevant, I have heard of most of them and know they can write well regarding games and have been doing so for a while. I was questioning the mental and moral fiber of the creator, who as pointed out, is not the person I thought it was anyway.

Can't speak for postulio, but from my perspective, it's pretty easy to question credibility, seeing as I don't know who any of these people are. I've read the same magazines and websites the rest of you did over the last 20 years, I was just looking at the game guides and screenshots, not the puff pieces and opinions. The only reason I know these people are "all-stars" or "legends" is because you all told me they were.
    In all honesty they're neither "all-stars" nor "legends". They all fall into the low to mid echelon of success and have as many fans as critics. My dislike of some of them stems out of the very opinions and puff pieces you avoided reading, funny enough. But nevertheless they are all informed industry vets and truth be told their retrospectives might make for some great reading.

I understand postulio was saying things when postulio is going against you, but I am going to ask you to not refer to the founder of GameGavel.com as a tool and "passing the buck" from what this guy is talking about to another person. If you and this person you responded to have any beef (and it appears he has beef with you), then please do not pass the buck and refer to name calling on people who you bought the domain from.

I personally know the founder of GameGavel, Jasun, and we go back a ways, so the name calling is not appreciated.

I remember you from years ago, as I do Jasen. I will not for a second back down from my years old opinion of you guys being tools. (def. 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I disagree. *The whole idea of Kickstarter is to obtain enough funding from the "crowd" to prove whether some business or artistic concept is viable or not. *When people screw with the system for personal gain, they destroy the very core of the crowdfunding concept and ultimately, their incentive to be responsive to the interests of the community diminishes. *Frankly, project creators should be willing to risk their own funds on projects, but that shouldn't be part of the crowdfunding if for no other reason than they lose 10% off the top which is a stupid investment on their part.
    Actually they are under no legal obligation to deliver you anything. You are not buying anything, you are gifting money to a cause you believe in with the hopes that it succeeds in its mission. It is possible (and happens all the time) that the endevour fails and all contributors get nothing.

Anyway, back on topic, with the right leadership this can certainly amount to a good publication to rival the current king, RetroGamer. As long as the focus remains on objective retrospectives and quality. We've seen many niche collector/retro gaming magazines launch and scamper into obscurity on these forums, I hope this one does not follow (although to be fair this magazine has significantly more industry know-how attached to it).

I hope you guys intend on making the paper publication printed with quality. Properly bound with good inks and paper so it feels like a professional magazine and not like HS fan publication. I hope the digital version is interactive, instead of just /pdf versions of the printed content.

I look forward to the features. This industry is over four decades old and many have contributed to it, both on the hardware and software side. I'd love to read about the genres, franchises, developers, publishers and hardware manufacturers that made it what it is today.
    Last edited by postulio; 10-31-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by postulio View Post

Actually they are under no legal obligation to deliver you anything. You are not buying anything, you are gifting money to a cause you believe in with the hopes that it succeeds in its mission. It is possible (and happens all the time) that the endevour fails and all contributors get nothing.
    Totally incorrect. Spend a few minutes reading the Kickstarter terms of service. The project creator is required to deliver what they promise. It's not a gift and it's not a charity. It's a legally enforceable contract. It doesn't happen all the time. The few times it has happened, there have been threats of legal action and generally efforts to fulfill the promises made. In fact, there will likely be some lawsuits filed regarding a couple of projects that delivered nothing in the coming months based on what I'm hearing.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

My dislike of some of them stems out of the very opinions and puff pieces you avoided reading, funny enough.
    To be fair, I wasn't really avoiding them, so much as I knew what worked for me. I read gaming magazines to get an idea as to if I'd be interested in a given game, screen shots and a one level walkthrough tell me more about a game that three paragraphs going on about the innovation or whatever. Looking up videos on Youtube serves the same purpose these days, so I dropped all my magazine subscriptions years ago. As for these classic gaming magazines, I'm interested in them as a source of history articles. And when I say history, I mean of the industry and crap that isn't already known by 90% of the community.
    Last edited by JSoup; 10-31-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Totally incorrect. Spend a few minutes reading the Kickstarter terms of service. The project creator is required to deliver what they promise. It's not a gift and it's not a charity. It's a legally enforceable contract. It doesn't happen all the time. The few times it has happened, there have been threats of legal action and generally efforts to fulfill the promises made. In fact, there will likely be some lawsuits filed regarding a couple of projects that delivered nothing in the coming months based on what I'm hearing.
    You are correct, seems the language has changed since '09.

http://www.inc.com/eric-markowitz/wh...ey-back.html/1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What the hell I gave my money to them

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Project is funded, the magazine will be made!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

blah blah blah
    Uh???

I was directing everything I said to Mike, not you. I thought I made that very clear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Guys! Here is our latest Kickstarter update which also indicates how you can subscribe to the magazine at this point. We do have a limited supply of about 500 of the printed premier issue left and it is for sale individually if you just want that issue.

Hello Backers!

I just wanted to give you all an update as to our progress on the Premier Issue of RETRO magazine! The update is we are working hard with our writing and creative team and are on schedule for a December shipment of the January 2014 Premier Issue!

The premier issue will weigh in at 68 Pages and you won't be disappointed with the great content that will adorn the pages.

International backers will be receiving their "extra shipping" invoices soon and these will be emailed directly to you. Paypal will be the preferred payment method for those.

If you know anyone else that might want to get a subscription or even just an individual copy of the printed Premier Issue of RETRO (Limited to about 500 copies left) you can give them this subscription link. Prices include shipping anywhere in the world! Remember, you can also buy RETRO as a gift for that gaming friend or family member! Just click the "I'm gifting to someone" box and you are good to go!

https://checkout.subscriptiongenius.com/ReadRetro.com/

We are also working diligently on launching http://www.ReadRetro.com our official website that will be running new, original and up-to-date content to complement the magazine.

Happy Holidays from all of us at RETRO and thanks again for all of your support!

Mike Kennedy

Publisher | RETRO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

If you do a full subscription, do you get the limited edition premiere issue or must that be purchased separately?