Thread: Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, thoughts?

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Default Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, thoughts?

So recently another member of our roundtable has reminded me that I wanted Shantae for the GBC. It was one of those I had locked in the back of my mind for ages, kinda like NES World Championship. I know it's not that rare. It's just I know with my local community and the lack of game stores in the area prior to 2005, that it would be beyond a rare occurrence to see that rare of a game come anywhere close to my possession. So, I recently looked it up and noticed they had it for DL on the 3DS virtual console in the E-Store. Holy crap is this game fun. With the mixture of quirky adult comedy and great playability I was instantly and currently hooked.

As for the title of this thread. Today whilst perusing through my games and e-store stuff I saw a video titled, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. It's a coming soon title under IndieCade. I think it looks pretty cool keeping the similar game style. The video showed a bit of the platforming with a boss fight scene. Anybody have any info or thoughts on the title. Also it looks like it's made by a company called Way Forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    Shantae for the GBC... I know it's not that rare.

Um, what do you base that on exactly? How about the fact that there are less than 10,000 copies in existence, how about the fact it came out in 2002 over ayear after the GBA came out, how about the fact that it sells in the hundreds for loose cart only copies?

But yes, Shantae is easily the greatest GBC game of all time. I'll elaborate more later.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post

Um, what do you base that on exactly? How about the fact that there are less than 10,000 copies in existence, how about the fact it came out in 2002 over ayear after the GBA came out, how about the fact that it sells in the hundreds for loose cart only copies?

But yes, Shantae is easily the greatest GBC game of all time. I'll elaborate more later.
    kinda like NES World Championship. I know it's not that rare.

As in, not as rare as a NWC cart, which is a true statement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Oh. "not as rare as Nintendo World Championship". Sorry, but when someone says "it's not that rare", such a statement usually isn't specifying rarity of one item against another specific item. It goes along with the phrase "it's not that expensive", etc.

8-Bit Archeology's comment was vague.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    So, I recently looked it up and noticed they had it for DL on the 3DS virtual console in the E-Store. Holy crap is this game fun. With the mixture of quirky adult comedy and great playability I was instantly and currently hooked.
    Are you sure that's the original game? I remember there being a sequel available for the DSiWare, Risky's Revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Maybe he was going by the rarity guide here.
    http://www.digitpress.com/video-game...o&gameid=21909

I remember when it was listed in the guide for $10, and the rarity was much lower than R5. Now even the current listing seems low. The guide is almost a joke at this point.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

[QUOTE=Gameguy;1984410]Are you sure that's the original game? I remember there being a sequel available for the DSiWare, Risky's Revenge.[/url]

To be fair, both the original and Risky's Revenge are amazing. Although, apparently the VC release of the first game has some major glitches in it. I'm not sure of the specifics, but from what I was reading, the original game took advantage of a few quarks of the GBC, quarks that aren't present in the 3DS.

I remember when it was listed in the guide for $10, and the rarity was much lower than R5. Now even the current listing seems low. The guide is almost a joke at this point.
    Maybe we should find a way to update the thing.
    Oh, wait, hold up, I see a dead horse I'd like to beat.