Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DiEsmitty
    PSN
    DiEsmitty

Default 3DO is it worth picking up.

I have been thinking about snatching one up. Super Potato has the FZ-1 and the fz-10 for about 40 dollars, and Hard Off has had them for around 30. Is it a good investment. Are there any great titles for it? When I t was a new system I thought it was cool, but couldn't afford so I didn't pay any attention to it. It will probably sit for awhile as I have a back log of retro and modern games that need attention.

From what I read on here and some other sites is that the FZ-10 is the less maintenance intensive model. If I get one I am going to get the FZ-1 though I like its design. Is there any hardware difference that makes the FZ-10 a better model or are they pretty much the same. Im aware that the 10 was a more cost effective model. Im not worried about maintenance, I make a monthly pilgrimage to Akihabara, so I can get parts to fix it when it breaks.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DiEsmitty View Post
    I have been thinking about snatching one up. Super Potato has the FZ-1 and the fz-10 for about 40 dollars, and Hard Off has had them for around 30. Is it a good investment. Are there any great titles for it? When I t was a new system I thought it was cool, but couldn't afford so I didn't pay any attention to it. It will probably sit for awhile as I have a back log of retro and modern games that need attention.

From what I read on here and some other sites is that the FZ-10 is the less maintenance intensive model. If I get one I am going to get the FZ-1 though I like its design. Is there any hardware difference that makes the FZ-10 a better model or are they pretty much the same. Im aware that the 10 was a more cost effective model. Im not worried about maintenance, I make a monthly pilgrimage to Akihabara, so I can get parts to fix it when it breaks.
    I will always talk up the 3DO when asked simply because aside from the NES, 2600, and maybe SNES, it's the one system that has taken me and won't let me go with it's amazing library of games. Seriously, when you get it grab games like Captain Quasar, Gex, Shockwave, Slayer, Deathkeep, Killing Time, Monster Manor, Off World Interceptor, Crash n' Burn, Road Rash, Star Wars, and others. The amount of titles available for this console as well as the fun and excitement each one will bring is well worth the price you'll pay, which actually won't be too expensive.

Enjoy!
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's a decent price, definitely pick it up. There's some solid software on it despite its flop in the market.

I'd honestly probably take the FZ-10 over the FZ-1 due to the lack of a motorized tray that could eventually cause you trouble (I'm looking at YOU, Sega CD Model 1!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    I will always talk up the 3DO when asked simply because aside from the NES, 2600, and maybe SNES, it's the one system that has taken me and won't let me go with it's amazing library of games. Seriously, when you get it grab games like Captain Quasar, Gex, Shockwave, Slayer, Deathkeep, Killing Time, Monster Manor, Off World Interceptor, Crash n' Burn, Road Rash, Star Wars, and others. The amount of titles available for this console as well as the fun and excitement each one will bring is well worth the price you'll pay, which actually won't be too expensive.

Enjoy!
    So many of those titles are available on other consoles, and the exclusives hardly make it worthwhile in my book.

OP, I give it a resounding NO. Not at all worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will chime in on the positive side for 3DO, and lots of good games in the library. Was Captain Quasar done elsewhere? Not so sure, and the 3DO versions are all excellent ports. $30-$40 is an amazing deal on a 3DO console. I payed $99 for mine a year ago at a local used game shop. Get the 3DO and don't look back! Lots of fun and enjoyment ahead for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely. Thats a great price and there are a slew of games. I remember playing Road Rash at a kiosk when it was released and some other games. Was blown away. Then saw the price and Im like WTF?! Are they serious?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Youre in Japan, so get Luciennes Quest, its one of the major reasons to buy a 3DO. Besides a few arcade game ports like Samurai Shodown and Super Turbo, its main appeal is the western computer game ports on the system and other games which were eventually ported to the PS1. Twisted The Game Show is a exclusive that people rave about.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DiEsmitty
    PSN
    DiEsmitty

Yeah Im decided to get one. I really want the FZ-1 i think its a cleaner looking than the 10. How hard are they to work on when things break, is it difficult to repair? Im not scared to make repairs or anything, the price is right there both priced the same usually.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

A lot of the games that were 3DO exclusives, and later got ported to the PlayStation or Saturn, are allegedly still better on the 3DO. Off the top of my head, Return Fire, Psychic Detective, Star Fighter, PO'ed, and (according to some) Need for Speed are all better in their original 3DO release.

Going in the other direction, there are some games that were also on the Sega CD and other platforms, but are definitely superior on the 3DO. This is especially true of FMV games, and the big one is Star Wars: Rebel Assault, which has more levels and much better graphic quality on the 3DO. Unlike the Sega CD port -- where you basically need to memorize certain levels, since distant enemies are invisible against all the graphical grit until it's too late -- you can actually play the 3DO version on Hard, and play it as if it were an actual, y'know, game.

Anyway, I'm glad I have my 3DO. I don't play it all the time, but when I do, I quite enjoy it. It gets a lot more use than any other post-16-bit console in my house, except the PlayStation 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am really looking into getting a 3DO because locally there is an insane deal and I just love my awkward consoles. This guy has been trying to sell it for a while but no one wants it locally. Similar story when I bought my TG-16. The only reason I'm hesitant right now is I have some big non gaming things coming up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had my FZ-1 since the day it came out and I've had no trouble with it what so ever. There are a lot of great games, and you can get them for a good price.... Crash~N~Burn is one of my faves..... I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Crash-N-Burn
    Monster Manor
    Gex
    The Horde
    Killing Time
    Night Trap
    Sewer Shark
    Shock Wave
    Twisted: The Game Show
    Way of the Warrior
    Just to name a few................................
    GAME NOT OVER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like I mentioned earlier, the 3DO has plenty of great games, many of which were exclusives and the others being wonderful ports with some amazing gameplay. Hope you hop on it and join the 3DO family dude, you'll thank us all in the end.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DiEsmitty
    PSN
    DiEsmitty

I went hunting for Famicoms today and ended bringing home a 3DO FZ-1 bundled with 4 games today for about 30 dollars. The D-pad seems to hang a little bit, but hopefully it just needs a cleaning. Sadly no famicoms today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DiEsmitty View Post
    I went hunting for Famicoms today and ended bringing home a 3DO FZ-1 bundled with 4 games today for about 30 dollars. The D-pad seems to hang a little bit, but hopefully it just needs a cleaning. Sadly no famicoms today.
    The best thing to do with that is to take it apart and clean it with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Then when you reassemble it, don't tighten down the screws ALL the way, just leave them a couple of turns loose. One of the big complaints early in that system's life was the stiff controls because of that design flaw.

I actually improved mine to the point of "normal" game-controller functionality just by disassembling and reassembling after a cleaning. Some gunk had gotten into the controller so I cleaned it. When I reassembled it, boom, no more stiff controls, even when I DID tighten down the screws.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparf View Post
    The best thing to do with that is to take it apart and clean it with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Then when you reassemble it, don't tighten down the screws ALL the way, just leave them a couple of turns loose. One of the big complaints early in that system's life was the stiff controls because of that design flaw.

I actually improved mine to the point of "normal" game-controller functionality just by disassembling and reassembling after a cleaning. Some gunk had gotten into the controller so I cleaned it. When I reassembled it, boom, no more stiff controls, even when I DID tighten down the screws.
    Definitely this. I had some Sega Genesis 6 button pads that were initially working but then started acting all over the place. Checked online and it suggested to clean the inside by taking it apart. Look on Youtube there are some vids on the step by step. Good choice on getting the FZ-1, it just looks much better looking than the FZ-10. Like the Sega CD Model 1 over the 2nd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woah, you're in Japan and you can buy any system and you're worried about the 3DO? I say why bother when you can have a PS1 and Saturn and you being in Japan makes it even better. You can get all the best PS1 and Saturn games for dirt cheap. I now see that you already bought one for the equivalent of $30 and bundled with four games so I can't complain too badly. Do these shops have many 3DO games for sale? Which four games were bundled with your 3DO?
    Last edited by GhostDog; 10-15-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe he has a PS1 or Saturn already and is interested in trying out a console that he's never tried before? Either way I commend him for wanting to give the amazing 3DO a shot, it's got a wonderful library of games and the console itself is a great piece of equipment and has held up nicely for me for over 16 years now. It's definitely a system worth owning.

What were the 4 games you got with it, diesmitty?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    Maybe he has a PS1 or Saturn already and is interested in trying out a console that he's never tried before? Either way I commend him for wanting to give the amazing 3DO a shot, it's got a wonderful library of games and the console itself is a great piece of equipment and has held up nicely for me for over 16 years now. It's definitely a system worth owning.

What were the 4 games you got with it, diesmitty?
    I know it may have been out of line but the fact that he is in Japan made me initially question why he'd want a 3DO but for $30 and four games you really can't complain and I see no problem buying it for that price. I just know that the guy will be in gaming heaven because you can get some amazing games for dirt cheap in Japan in these shops.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    I know it may have been out of line but the fact that he is in Japan made me initially question why he'd want a 3DO but for $30 and four games you really can't complain and I see no problem buying it for that price. I just know that the guy will be in gaming heaven because you can get some amazing games for dirt cheap in Japan in these shops.
    The 3DO did the best versions of Space Hulk (Warhammer 40K) and Starblade that I've seen on a home system thus far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neb6 View Post
    The 3DO did the best versions of Space Hulk (Warhammer 40K) and Starblade that I've seen on a home system thus far.
    I suppose if you're into those games...