Thread: That "feeling" of buying a new NES, Genesis, or SNES game back in the day....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default That "feeling" of buying a new NES, Genesis, or SNES game back in the day....

Remember back in the day when you would go to a Toy Works, Toys R Us, Funcoland, or a random department store like Sears and they would have all that great "World of Nintendo" signage up and the games would be displayed in giant glass cases? Remember that feeling you'd get when you were out with your parents and you want to walk by the video game section of whatever store you were visiting just to catch a glimpse of the games or that insane feeling of fun and wonder you'd have if you were actually there to buy a game?

Man, I miss that feeling and I'll always hold dear the great feeling of going into a toy store or department store and seeing NES, Genesis, and SNES games proudly displayed and a console set up for you to play demo's on.......those days were the best. You know something? I don't even know why I wrote this or posted it but I guess it's because I want to see if anyone remembered those glorious days? I don't get that "feeling" with todays consoles.....
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

That's because the price tags actually mean something to you now.

And the internet has already told you everything about all of those games. You barely even have to look at the boxes anymore.

Oh, and they're just CDs in a case now. No weight, no manual, and there's stickers all over it.

And the sequel has already been announced. It'll be out in 8 months.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh man, totally! I used to walk through the video game section of department stores just to soak up the atmosphere. Looking at the back of the boxes to see the graphics and wonder at what awaited in the games. That and the awesomeness of the actual console packaging -- complete with screen-shots.

I think these images really capture a lot of the excitement:

http://www.colecovisionzone.com/page...neous/you.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

We had a Service Merchandise store in our local mall that had those giant glass display cases. I remember going in and salivating over all the gaming hardware, like the TG-16 CD-ROM add-on, etc. That's actually where I bought my 1st gen Sega Genesis from that came pkgd with Altered Beast. Loved that thing, never should have gotten rid of it.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I loved the way TRU was back in the NES/SMS days. Giant plexiglass wall with the game boxes behind it, with little tags you took up to the register to buy the game, then after you paid you took the tag and receipt over to a little window and collected your game. It really made things seem special somehow.

Of course if they were down to the last copy, you'd have to get a clerk to open up the wall and get your game out, that really felt like a big deal.

Then in the SNES/Gen era, they replaced the plexiglass wall and gameboxes with those "flaps" that had the box art and stuff on them, somehow it just didn't feel the same (probably didn't help that by then I'd discovered EB and Babbages).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh for sure. I remember and miss these days greatly. I also remember the smell of the NES when you opened it. I had this experience when I bought a ROB NES Deluxe some years back it was practically new! Gyromite and Duck Hunt looked mint box, manual everything. Im so glad I got this before the prices went insane on anything R.O.B. related especially the set. But back to seeing the World of Nintendo signs the displays to play games. i remember some stores had them in the glass displays so you would look down or a wall of games behind the counter. I also remember the poor Sega Master System having a small space for their games and systems. Same with the TG 16.
    Having that feeling when I was going to get a game that day was such a thrill or getting a game rented for the weekend on a Friday night. Thanks Mom!
    I think the feeling has gone for me mainly because its easily attainable to get a game. It was an event back in the day. Now its just like, yeah I think I want the game, jump in my car and just go and buy it and just tell my parents "yeah I'll be back."
    Also someone mentioned we can easily see everything about the game. I picked games based on the cover and screenshots on the back.
    I'd probably get excited if I went to a retro store that had affordable prices and great inventory. There are still some things I would want. Turbo Duo or Turbo Grafx CD for starters.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    I loved the way TRU was back in the NES/SMS days. Giant plexiglass wall with the game boxes behind it, with little tags you took up to the register to buy the game, then after you paid you took the tag and receipt over to a little window and collected your game. It really made things seem special somehow.
    My local one didn't use a plexiglass wall. It was just a wall with black and white xeroxed copies of the box cover with the 'take this up to the register to buy it' slips underneath. But everything else was the same. The little window entered into the most secure room in the entire building, wall to wall games all over the place. I remember thinking it must have been a great place to work when I was little.