Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That "feeling" of buying a new NES, Genesis, or SNES game back in the day....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty cool to read about all the fond childhood memories on this thread. I do not have them.

I was 15 when I got my Atari VCS in 1980 and newly married when my wife bought me NES Control Deck set for Christmas 1985. I too remember unwrapping those gifts and the great feelings, but never read the back of the box or instruction manual while the parents drove me home. Just arrived a little too early for that party I guess.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Pretty cool to read about all the fond childhood memories on this thread. I do not have them.

I was 15 when I got my Atari VCS in 1980 and newly married when my wife bought me NES Control Deck set for Christmas 1985. I too remember unwrapping those gifts and the great feelings, but never read the back of the box or instruction manual while the parents drove me home. Just arrived a little too early for that party I guess.
    I'm sure there must have been an equivalent ride home. You know, like getting a new Micronaut, Meccano kit, or the Coleco hand-held football game -- or something along those lines...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I use the bus, so for me there still is always a ride home. I would just need to check stuff out that I bought instead of playing with my music device to relive the experience.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You obviously like Jet Moto according to your avatar. Were you excited for any PS1 games? Did you get the PS1 at launch?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neb6 View Post
    I'm sure there must have been an equivalent ride home. You know, like getting a new Micronaut, Meccano kit, or the Coleco hand-held football game -- or something along those lines...
    Funny you mention it, but I got a Mattel hand held football game for Christmas 1979 and played that thing to no end. It could be played head to head, and I had a friend who played it with me. Great times.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    You obviously like Jet Moto according to your avatar. Were you excited for any PS1 games? Did you get the PS1 at launch?
    Playstation takes me back to the mid 90's and we got the system for our son shortly after launch. Lots of good times playing Jet Moto, Destruction Derby, Twisted Metal, Ridge Racer, Crash Bandicoot, etc. I have all those games and the system, but he lives too far away now.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DiEsmitty
    PSN
    DiEsmitty

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    Don't forget reading the manual and staring at the box on the ride home.

When Street Fighter 2 for SNES came out (remember that long awaited holiday?) My family was on an out of state vacation, and we had no SNES. We found a store in a mall that had SF2 the day it was released, my cousin and I snatched up our copies fast. It was DAYS of reading the manual and staring at the box before we could get home and play it. Long, long days of agony.
    Tonight some Wii U games came in the mail. I got Pikmin 3 for my wife to play. While she was washing the dishes I caught myself looking at the box and the manual without realizing it. It reminded me of when I got Mario paint, I was so excited. I don't really know why, I have always sucked at drawing, but for some reason I really wanted that game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny you mention it, but I got a Mattel hand held football game for Christmas 1979 and played that thing to no end. It could be played head to head, and I had a friend who played it with me. Great times.

Playstation takes me back to the mid 90's and we got the system for our son shortly after launch. Lots of good times playing Jet Moto, Destruction Derby, Twisted Metal, Ridge Racer, Crash Bandicoot, etc. I have all those games and the system, but he lives too far away now.
    The mid 90s were something else. I just turned 9 years old five days before the PS1 launch and I loved video games. I remember being blown away seeing all the next generation of consoles lined up at Good Guys and Toys 'R Us and the latest games being shown. Your son was super lucky to have those things soon after launch. I had to go to stores just to have a taste and still remember being blown away by PS1 even in 1997 when a friend of mine had it. I finally got a PS1 of my own when I just turned 12 back in 1998 and finally I had this dream machine at my home that I bought used at a flea market for cheap but later traded it up for a newer model that holiday season. It was like a status symbol for me and I cherished it. Even playing a demo disc that was bundled with the system was amazing. I remember playing the demo disc that had Metal Gear Solid, MediEvil, Crash 3, Gran Turismo, Cool Boarders 3 and just thinking that this machine was something else. I now have a stack of a bunch of old Electronics Gaming Monthlys from the early-mid-late 90s so I'm able to relive the awesome 32-bit era of PS1 and all the hype that went along with it. Who would have thought that the PS1 would have been the mega success that it was back in 1995. I think it had to have been until 1997 that people really started realizing the monster that the Sony Playstation brand really was. Good times. I miss the 90s and my childhood so much. You can play those games in memory of your son and then call him up or Skype him and tell him of the awesome times and memories you had and have with all the old PS1 games!
    Last edited by GhostDog; 10-18-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The mid 90s were something else. I just turned 9 years old five days before the PS1 launch and I loved video games. I remember being blown away seeing all the next generation of consoles lined up at Good Guys and Toys 'R Us and the latest games being shown. Your son was super lucky to have those things soon after launch. I had to go to stores just to have a taste and still remember being blown away by PS1 even in 1997 when a friend of mine had it. I finally got a PS1 of my own when I just turned 12 back in 1998 and finally I had this dream machine at my home that I bought used at a flea market for cheap but later traded it up for a newer model that holiday season. It was like a status symbol for me and I cherished it. Even playing a demo disc that was bundled with the system was amazing. I remember playing the demo disc that had Metal Gear Solid, MediEvil, Crash 3, Gran Turismo, Cool Boarders 3 and just thinking that this machine was something else. I now have a stack of a bunch of old Electronics Gaming Monthlys from the early-mid-late 90s so I'm able to relive the awesome 32-bit era of PS1 and all the hype that went along with it. Who would have thought that the PS1 would have been the mega success that it was back in 1995. I think it had to have been until 1997 that people really started realizing the monster that the Sony Playstation brand really was. Good times. I miss the 90s and my childhood so much. You can play those games in memory of your son and then call him up or Skype him and tell him of the awesome times and memories you had and have with all the old PS1 games!
    I love your spirit when it comes to this subject, it's amazing just how much a certain "feeling" can define an era of gaming.

As for the PS1, I absolutely love that console and consider it one of the best ever next to the NES, SNES, and 2600.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Who would have thought that the PS1 would have been the mega success that it was back in 1995.
    Not many. It was later revealed it's why we didn't see a Sega PlayStation was because Sony was such a mediocre third-party before they released the PS that EGM predicted it was going to go away with the 3DO and Jaguar (I remember they said something like "when you take away the lesser consoles, it's still going to boil down to a Nintendo and Sega console war."). (would you have expected the company that made Cliffhanger and Last Action Hero... among several ridiculous Famicom games like Paris-Dakar Rally Special to soon dominate the industry?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    I love your spirit when it comes to this subject, it's amazing just how much a certain "feeling" can define an era of gaming.

As for the PS1, I absolutely love that console and consider it one of the best ever next to the NES, SNES, and 2600.
    Thanks a lot. I have been doing a retrospective of my life and without a doubt the best years of my life were the 90s during my childhood and video games were a huge part of providing me unimaginable joy and I like to think about it and share my experiences. Sure, movies were ok and watching tv was fine too but video games, especially arcades, blew my mind. I was getting high on life because of the awesomeness that were video games but I'm sure all the sugar I was consuming also had something to do with it. Anyway, home consoles to me at the time seemed like a lesser experience at home than the arcade. I know now that this was the wrong attitude but I couldn't help but feel that I was severely missing out on the better graphics that the arcade provided when comparing to my SEGA Genesis at the time. Then came the new batch of systems and I was blown away but it still wasn't quite there yet. I remember seeing SEGA Rally for Saturn and thinking that sure it looks and plays well but the arcade version looks so much better. Over time I learned to except this deficiency that the PS1 and other systems had over the arcade and before I knew it the graphics started to get better and games like Tekken 3 looked awesome and the PS1 was really hitting its stride. I just cherish those times so much that I recently bought a ton of EGMs and Gamepros from the 90s to relive those times. I also miss my old PSMs (Playstation Magazine) that I used to have. PSM was such a great magazine that really made you proud to be a PS1 owner. The way they hyped the PS1 and celebrated its awesomeness was a joy to read.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Not many. It was later revealed it's why we didn't see a Sega PlayStation was because Sony was such a mediocre third-party before they released the PS that EGM predicted it was going to go away with the 3DO and Jaguar (I remember they said something like "when you take away the lesser consoles, it's still going to boil down to a Nintendo and Sega console war."). (would you have expected the company that made Cliffhanger and Last Action Hero... among several ridiculous Famicom games like Paris-Dakar Rally Special to soon dominate the industry?
    Really? It would be interesting to see that for myself. I have a bunch of EGMs from 1994 and 1995 so I probably have that issue. I'll gather those issues up and see what they really have to say about it and read more closely. So many developers were on board for the PS1 and a price of $299 was reasonable enough that I don't know how anyone could have downplayed the system because the system was really set up from the beginning to succeed. I suppose the fact that this was Sony's first shot at a console may have concerned some gamers but it didn't take long to realize that the system was here to stay with games like Resident Evil. The PS1 really hit its stride in 1997 in terms of the quality of games that were being released. In the February 1998 issue of EGM it says that there was a worldwide installed hardware base of over 23 million units. The year 1998 I would say the PS1 really hit the home stretch like Usain Bolt in his prime and demolished the competition with so many more awesome titles hitting the system and continued well into 2000 when the PS2 was on the horizon.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The good old, bad old days: pre GameFAQs, Ebay, Amazon etc etc

Times have a-changed!
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really? It would be interesting to see that for myself. I have a bunch of EGMs from 1994 and 1995 so I probably have that issue. I'll gather those issues up and see what they really have to say about it and read more closely. So many developers were on board for the PS1 and a price of $299 was reasonable enough that I don't know how anyone could have downplayed the system because the system was really set up from the beginning to succeed. I suppose the fact that this was Sony's first shot at a console may have concerned some gamers but it didn't take long to realize that the system was here to stay with games like Resident Evil. The PS1 really hit its stride in 1997 in terms of the quality of games that were being released. In the February 1998 issue of EGM it says that there was a worldwide installed hardware base of over 23 million units. The year 1998 I would say the PS1 really hit the home stretch like Usain Bolt in his prime and demolished the competition with so many more awesome titles hitting the system and continued well into 2000 when the PS2 was on the horizon.
    Going back to the game development days on the N64 in 1996, I recall that at least half the studio staff would rather have been working on the PS1. So I think quite a few of the people working on developing games were quite aware of what the PS1 was capable of (both in performance and for the future of gaming). In fact, we had one set up to play on our breaks. When Edge Magazine did a hardware profile on the PS1 prototype, I was right in there absorbing the machine's stats. I could see it coming -- but only because I was a computer hardware freak back then and was carefully tracking the various CPUs, GPUs, and the like. The PS1 was a true (and IMHO successful) attempt to package the power of an arcade machine in a home system and couple it with the flexibility of CDROM media.