Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tandy Color Computer II video game fun

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tandy Color Computer II video game fun

So, I fired-up the ol' TRS-80 Color Computer II last week, and have been re-visiting some of the better games for the system. While not as graphically and sonically amped as the C64 or the Atari 8-bit machines, it still did a descent job when programmed properly. What can I say, it had no hardware acceleration for graphics and was never really meant to make sound (apparently).

Highlights include:

- Time Bandit
    - Cash Man
    - Dungeons of Daggorath
    - Dragon Slayer
    - F1 Racer (somewhat like Pole Position)
    - Buzzard Bait (Joust)
    - Downland
    - Lunar Rover (Moon Patrol)
    - Phantom Slayer (crude-looking but effective)
    - F-16 Assault
    - Color Car (Bump n' Jump)
    - Qiks (Qix)
    - Whirlybird Run (Super Cobra)
    - Pit Stop II
    - Shock Trooper

Once I get my fill of the action category, I might move on to the text/graphic adventures.

Anyone else here have good memories of these machines?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

i've never played on one of these, sounds like it had some great exclusives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Its my favorite computer system from the 80's, the one I grew up with. I probably have a dozen or so machines - several coco 1's,2's,and 3's including a 512k upgraded model, and dozens of cart based games. I use drivewire for the disk or cassette based games and love them. So many great games on this system, many arcade ports that were done very well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    Its my favorite computer system from the 80's, the one I grew up with. I probably have a dozen or so machines - several coco 1's,2's,and 3's including a 512k upgraded model, and dozens of cart based games. I use drivewire for the disk or cassette based games and love them. So many great games on this system, many arcade ports that were done very well.
    If only I hadn't sold the 512K version of my Color Computer 3. After all the pain and fear I went through installing the RAM module (I'm guessing you know what I mean). If I'd kept it around, I could run the arcade-perfect homebrew of Donkey Kong.

Last weekend, I hooked the stock 128K CoCo 3 up to a Commodore 1084 monitor (I kept the RGB cable). Ran the TRS-80 version of Gauntlet II. It looked great!

Anyone getting into this machine and put off by the analog sticks should know that it's apparently easy to make an adaptor to go from the DIN joystick ports to the Atari-style DB-9 ports so that you can use Atari-compatible sticks. I had one built ages ago by a computer cable supply company and it still works.

Do you recall the game Xenion? After all these years, I loaded that one up on the CC3 and couldn't stop playing it. Amazing game considering the machine doesn't have a sprite generator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've seen video but haven't tried it myself. Not sure if I have the disk image for that one.

As for the 512K, Cloud9tech sells a new, and supposedly much easier to install, 512k upgrade chip called the triad - $50 plus shipping. I've been contemplating on getting one for one of my other 128k models.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen video but haven't tried it myself. Not sure if I have the disk image for that one.

As for the 512K, Cloud9tech sells a new, and supposedly much easier to install, 512k upgrade chip called the triad - $50 plus shipping. I've been contemplating on getting one for one of my other 128k models.
    Well, I know what I'm getting for Christmas.

... and I see it runs cooler than the original.

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No problem

Just be aware that the site operator, Mark, is on vacation until November 11th I believe so you can email an order but he probably won't get to it until he returns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No problem

Just be aware that the site operator, Mark, is on vacation until November 11th I believe so you can email an order but he probably won't get to it until he returns.
    Do you know if there's a plug-in cartridge/controller that is able to read SD Cards (or similar media) in ordinary RS DOS mode? I.e. on a stock CoCo 2 or CoCo 3? I was thinking of hooking something like that up through a Y-cable and transferring my files over from my diskettes to a memory card and then just load the data from the card instead.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The CoCo 2 is a hard machine to get into, at least in my experience.

All of the cool stuff seems to be on the CoCo 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Neb6 View Post
    Do you know if there's a plug-in cartridge/controller that is able to read SD Cards (or similar media) in ordinary RS DOS mode? I.e. on a stock CoCo 2 or CoCo 3? I was thinking of hooking something like that up through a Y-cable and transferring my files over from my diskettes to a memory card and then just load the data from the card instead.
    Cloud9 has the SuperIDE which you can find under the hardware tab. Always wanted one but it sounds a little "techy" for me. I use drivewire which is the method of using a rompak (or loading the rs dos from a cassette) and then a serial cable to the pc to load programs. They don't make the rompaks anymore though unfortunately.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a Coco and Coco 2 with maybe 10 games or so, but I don't recall anything standing out. I can't even remember what carts I have. I do know I have Thexder, but that's for the Coco 3 and I don't have one of those yet.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can the 512k upgrade be done on a CoCo2? If so, then I'm game as I don't have to buy an expensive 128k system.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    Can the 512k upgrade be done on a CoCo2? If so, then I'm game as I don't have to buy an expensive 128k system.
    Not that I'm aware of. As far as I know it maxes out at 64K (of course, there are some pretty wild Color Computer mods out there).

I suppose there are two ways to look at this:

1) Go with the CoCo 2, since it has the largest software library.

2) Pay a bit extra and get a CoCo 3 if you're into homebrew stuff (plus you get more colors and resolutions -- and can run it overclocked without glitches). And of course, you can expand it to 512K.

I should mention that there really aren't that many games that make use of the extra RAM.
    Last edited by Neb6; 02-20-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The CoCo 2 is limited to 64K and there are a ton of games for it. If you don't have a CoCo, spring for a CoCo 3. It will run practically all the older software (those supposedly it has issues with the "semi graphics" mode as they were excluded from this model but I've yet to run into that problem) and yes the modern homebrew titles are pretty sweet like the aforementioned Donkey Kong game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What are you guys using for monitors? CoCo 2 is RF, the CoCo 3 has RGB - but monitors are hard to find and I hear the A/V on the CoCo 3 is not the greatest - or is that a myth?

Also, how hard is it to create cassette tapes of games to be loaded on a CoCo 2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I find the AV on a coco 3 just fine and I hook it up, as I do all my systems, to a Commodore 1702 monitor. Nice sharp picture. You don't need a coco rgb monitor. They are hard to find and pricey and shipping costs would be a lot unless you luck upon one locally.

If you have the cassette cable you can load .wav files of coco programs from your pc with a program called cocotape. I made a video on this way back in 2009

Last edited by Atarileaf; 02-23-2014 at 07:09 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atarileaf: Thanks for the response!

I was having an ulcer trying to track down a RGB monitor. Since not even Cloud9 offered a RGB>VGA cable I thought all hope was lost. I'll try to find some nice gold plated AV cables to get the best picture possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

My old man had a 32k CoCo. I'm not sure if it was a model 1 or 2. I only remember playing a game called
    Bug, that was a really bad PAC-MAN clone on a much larger map.

I wasn't a fan of those analog sticks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    My old man had a 32k CoCo. I'm not sure if it was a model 1 or 2. I only remember playing a game called
    Bug, that was a really bad PAC-MAN clone on a much larger map.

I wasn't a fan of those analog sticks.
    Megabug but yes those analog sticks aren't great for games like that. There are the deluxe sticks and the pistol grip stick which are better suited for a game like megabug. The small black analog sticks are great for games like doubleback or clowns and balloons though. I'm trying to remember if megabug could even just be played with the keyboard too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by courtesi1 View Post
    Atarileaf: Thanks for the response!

I was having an ulcer trying to track down a RGB monitor. Since not even Cloud9 offered a RGB>VGA cable I thought all hope was lost. I'll try to find some nice gold plated AV cables to get the best picture possible.
    No problem, I believe the coco rgb monitor is called a CM-8. I had one years ago but sold it, for god only knows what reason. Stupidity I guess

I think the 1702's are great composite monitors though or if you can find an old sony trinitron to give you a nice sharp composite picture, but yes, a quality cable goes a long way to a good picture