Thread: Nintendo 2DS; one LCD or two?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo 2DS; one LCD or two?

I've seen the question come up on many forums, and I can officially end the debate right now.

It does indeed use just one LCD which is just covered plastic and metal shrouds with a small digitizer over the lower screen only. Too bad there's no way to make use of the entire thing...

So far

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

People will still argue that it uses two.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

, I bet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I didn't know it was debated really as it came out in the mainstream gaming media a little while back. I hadn't seen that picture with it detached laid out though before so that's cool. I think I like how they handled the 2DS overall, it's not bad. As much as I like the 3D effect in some games, it really is something most (and I) could easily live without as it has that fatal flaw that if you move your hands much at all when gaming you get double vision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I didn't know it was debated really as it came out in the mainstream gaming media a little while back. I hadn't seen that picture with it detached laid out though before so that's cool. I think I like how they handled the 2DS overall, it's not bad. As much as I like the 3D effect in some games, it really is something most (and I) could easily live without as it has that fatal flaw that if you move your hands much at all when gaming you get double vision.
    Lol yeah, it didn't really seem like a debate. Makes sense though since then Ninty can probably capitalize on mass production for touchscreens since it looks about the same size as the Wii U gamepad screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still saw a LOT of people debating it on various sites, so I figured I'd lay it to rest

I really had no desire to pick one up (only did for the business to mod then sell), but it's REALLY comfy in my hands, and I hate the whole 3D thing and am not a fan of Nintendo's flimsy hinges on the 3DS, so this is sort of a winner for me to be honest. Pleasantly surprised by this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I like the design of it too, reminds me of the old gameboy kind of due to the vertical ness of it. I do on occasion use the 3D where it would be fun or of some benefit, but often enough it is off because any horizontal shift causes double display vision which is a huge problem. 2DS removes that issue entirely, supposedly is quite comfy too. I have a red XL unit and just keep the slider off mostly as I find the frame on it nicer than the original plus the battery is a slight bit more beefy too.

I'm curious how the 3d specific puzzles are handled in Mario 3d land on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    I've seen the question come up on many forums, and I can officially end the debate right now.

It does indeed use just one LCD which is just covered plastic and metal shrouds with a small digitizer over the lower screen only. Too bad there's no way to make use of the entire thing...

So far
    Is it a capacitive digitizer? In the mobile phone biz the digitizer usually refers to a capacitive one. If it is does that mean the stylus is different?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I like the design of it too, reminds me of the old gameboy kind of due to the vertical ness of it. I do on occasion use the 3D where it would be fun or of some benefit, but often enough it is off because any horizontal shift causes double display vision which is a huge problem. 2DS removes that issue entirely, supposedly is quite comfy too. I have a red XL unit and just keep the slider off mostly as I find the frame on it nicer than the original plus the battery is a slight bit more beefy too.

I'm curious how the 3d specific puzzles are handled in Mario 3d land on it.
    Very much so

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    Is it a capacitive digitizer? In the mobile phone biz the digitizer usually refers to a capacitive one. If it is does that mean the stylus is different?
    No, resistive, just like all their other stuff. The digitizer isn't in that pic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So is the entire screen resistive? Or just the bottom portion. I know there wouldn't be any games that took advantage of a top touch screen, but it'd be interesting if it was built in.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Resistive screen cover is only laid over the bottom part of the screen. They easily could have but the you're getting compatibility issues then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bottom only indeed. If you want to see all the tear down pics, then hit the link.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...ts_clothes_off