Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Lets talk the 3DS

Okay, so basically I've been on the fence for the longest time as to buying a 3DS because I don't own any current generation video game system and am basically a hardcore retro gamer. I've been toying with getting a 3DS because I haven't owned a handheld gaming system since the release of the NES themed GBA (in which I have 14 games) and I'm thinking it's time to go out and finally grab a 3DS and see what all the hubbub is about. I know the system has started selling like hotcakes last year and a stream of great games are on the way, but as of right now what are the hot games on the system and what are some of the systems best games? Mainly I enjoy Nintendo's first party stuff like Mario and Zelda and I also enjoy first person shooters and sometimes a good RPG or two, I mainly avoid Pokemon and other similar style games.

I pretty much know I'll be getting Super Mario 3D Land due to the game looking absolutely amazing, and I'll be getting A Link Between Worlds when it comes out, but what else is there to own or are all the great games currently on their way? I'd love to hear all of your input on this.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't have a DS either, the 3DS is a no-brainer at this point. There's some must play 3DS titles like the ones you've mentioned (I'm especially looking forward to Zelda), but the entire DS library would be at your disposal too. And there are lot of great DS games out there, depending on which genres you like.

I had never owned a handheld in my entire life until I bought a DS Lite in 2009. Had a blast with it and upgraded to a 3DS XL this Spring. I definitely recommend the XL version, the screens are larger and the battery life is excellent.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DiEsmitty
    PSN
    DiEsmitty

3ds is a great handheld. Far more games than the vita. Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei IV, even animal crossing new leaf isn't bad. Yoshi's new Island is going to be great. well worth the investment. I saw on IGN theres going to be some special editions coming out soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is another must have:

"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Based on your taste, I would suspect that you would absolutely love 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros 2. I liked SMB 2 but found it incredibly short, even with the extra levels.

As others have said, get Shin Megami Tensei IV if you like RPGs! It is fantastic. I would say it's not a shabby time to buy a new one--you can consider 2DS or XL. If you're looking for used, wait a couple months because the Pokemon high just shot up prices by like $30-40. Also, the Virtual Console isn't bad (maybe a little lackluster). You can get free Virtual Console games by registering with club nintendo--I got Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again last month and this month you can get the original Zelda free. There's also other merchandise, all of which might appeal to you as a retro gamer.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I love the 3DS

The 3DS XL is the better to get, the screens are larger.
    As someone noted above, the DS library is also available for this system.

Beside the various Nintendo games, there are many other good ones on the system.

Atlus has a lot of games on it, mostly the srpg type, but they also have things like Code of Princess.
    There are some good Lego games on it.

The games i most recently played are
    Project X Zone
    Rythym Thief & the Emporers Treasure
    SMT IV
    Devil Survivor Overclocked
    Sonic Generations
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

I've never played a Pokemon, but am currently trying out the new Pokemon X. So far I like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    Okay, so basically I've been on the fence for the longest time as to buying a 3DS because I don't own any current generation video game system and am basically a hardcore retro gamer. I've been toying with getting a 3DS because I haven't owned a handheld gaming system since the release of the NES themed GBA (in which I have 14 games) and I'm thinking it's time to go out and finally grab a 3DS and see what all the hubbub is about. I know the system has started selling like hotcakes last year and a stream of great games are on the way, but as of right now what are the hot games on the system and what are some of the systems best games? Mainly I enjoy Nintendo's first party stuff like Mario and Zelda and I also enjoy first person shooters and sometimes a good RPG or two, I mainly avoid Pokemon and other similar style games.

I pretty much know I'll be getting Super Mario 3D Land due to the game looking absolutely amazing, and I'll be getting A Link Between Worlds when it comes out, but what else is there to own or are all the great games currently on their way? I'd love to hear all of your input on this.
    Might wanna consider the 2DS.

Dirt cheap
    Comfortable in adult hands
    No annoying, headache inducing 3D, which means longer battery life

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Might wanna consider the 2DS.

Dirt cheap
    Comfortable in adult hands
    No annoying, headache inducing 3D, which means longer battery life
    Reminds me I forgot to mention the 3DS XL.

Don't get the original 3DS. Extremely uncomfortable to play longer than 30 minutes. The screen pretty much goes over half of the rest area for your index fingers and to hit L and R you'll push up against the back of the screen which is an annoyance. The start and select buttons you have to press hard to get them to respond. The system is also uncomfortable when playing.

The 3DS XL fixes all the problems. Ample room to rest your fingers on the L and R without the screen touching them while flipped up. The start and select buttons have been changed and work well. There's also the bigger screen which is nice.

I'm not against the 2DS, but even if it's more comfortable, it's not an XL and doesn't have the 40% larger screen.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm definitely on the 3DSXL bandwagon myself. I find it very comfortable, and its larger screens look great and don't hurt the Stereoscopic 3D (which I love, and has never caused me a headache in my time playing it. And I sometimes play for hours at a time*). Its shoulder buttons are a little awkward, but I've never found them to impact my gameplay.

*and if it does bother you, just turn it off. Its not like the 2DS has a monopoly on 2D
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 10-16-2013 at 11:51 PM.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12