Thread: Lets talk the 3DS

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Lets talk the 3DS

Okay, so basically I've been on the fence for the longest time as to buying a 3DS because I don't own any current generation video game system and am basically a hardcore retro gamer. I've been toying with getting a 3DS because I haven't owned a handheld gaming system since the release of the NES themed GBA (in which I have 14 games) and I'm thinking it's time to go out and finally grab a 3DS and see what all the hubbub is about. I know the system has started selling like hotcakes last year and a stream of great games are on the way, but as of right now what are the hot games on the system and what are some of the systems best games? Mainly I enjoy Nintendo's first party stuff like Mario and Zelda and I also enjoy first person shooters and sometimes a good RPG or two, I mainly avoid Pokemon and other similar style games.

I pretty much know I'll be getting Super Mario 3D Land due to the game looking absolutely amazing, and I'll be getting A Link Between Worlds when it comes out, but what else is there to own or are all the great games currently on their way? I'd love to hear all of your input on this.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't have a DS either, the 3DS is a no-brainer at this point. There's some must play 3DS titles like the ones you've mentioned (I'm especially looking forward to Zelda), but the entire DS library would be at your disposal too. And there are lot of great DS games out there, depending on which genres you like.

I had never owned a handheld in my entire life until I bought a DS Lite in 2009. Had a blast with it and upgraded to a 3DS XL this Spring. I definitely recommend the XL version, the screens are larger and the battery life is excellent.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DiEsmitty
    PSN
    DiEsmitty

3ds is a great handheld. Far more games than the vita. Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei IV, even animal crossing new leaf isn't bad. Yoshi's new Island is going to be great. well worth the investment. I saw on IGN theres going to be some special editions coming out soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is another must have:

"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Based on your taste, I would suspect that you would absolutely love 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros 2. I liked SMB 2 but found it incredibly short, even with the extra levels.

As others have said, get Shin Megami Tensei IV if you like RPGs! It is fantastic. I would say it's not a shabby time to buy a new one--you can consider 2DS or XL. If you're looking for used, wait a couple months because the Pokemon high just shot up prices by like $30-40. Also, the Virtual Console isn't bad (maybe a little lackluster). You can get free Virtual Console games by registering with club nintendo--I got Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again last month and this month you can get the original Zelda free. There's also other merchandise, all of which might appeal to you as a retro gamer.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I love the 3DS

The 3DS XL is the better to get, the screens are larger.
    As someone noted above, the DS library is also available for this system.

Beside the various Nintendo games, there are many other good ones on the system.

Atlus has a lot of games on it, mostly the srpg type, but they also have things like Code of Princess.
    There are some good Lego games on it.

The games i most recently played are
    Project X Zone
    Rythym Thief & the Emporers Treasure
    SMT IV
    Devil Survivor Overclocked
    Sonic Generations
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

I've never played a Pokemon, but am currently trying out the new Pokemon X. So far I like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Earlier this year I decided to pick up a 3DS. Like you I was more interested in older games. But I hadn't had a modern console since the Gamecube, I had owned a Wii, but I found its games to be prohibitively expensive, and outside a handful of games never really got a lot out of it. Expensive games being another reason I never got into PS4 or 360.

With the 3DS though, I find its $40 per game price point much more agreeable, and in a very short period of time have accumulated more new games then I had for my GameCube or Wii combined. The 3DS library is both solid, and inexpensive. And having access to the DS library a great bonus.

I'm also in love with the stereoscopic 3D effects. It makes the games a lot more visually interesting when you can perceive depth. Your mileage may very, but I never turn it off.

As for games, I am of the very strong opinion that Super Mario 3D Land is the BEST 3D Mario title EVER. It games the game mechanics of the 2D Marios (no life gauge, persistent power-ups, linear stages) with the movement of the 3D Marios. Its the kind of Mario game I've wanted since Mario 64.

Also the 3DS has done the impossible and got me interesting in JRPGs. Though I should probably more thank Atlus for that; Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Etrian Odyssey IV, etc... are just so different from the typical Final Fantasy-esque JRPG that they've taught me a valuable lesson about grouping an entire genre together under useless lables. I'm hoping to pick up Rune Factory 4 eventually. And of course Pokemon X/Y (though its lack of stereoscopic 3D on the overworld map is really annoying)

Also having a new Fire Emblem and Paper Mario on the Platform helps. And even quirky games like Project X Zone.

We've got Zelda coming up soon, and I have hope that the 3DS version of Smash Bros. will be a good alternative to the Wii U version.

Over all I'm very happy with my 3DS, its price point, its game cost*, its quality of titles, and its back catalog.

*I find 3DS titles going on sale a lot more then I expected. I actually picked up Etrian Odyssey IV and Paper Mario: Sticker Star for $20 each new within 6 months of their release. And new releases, even first party releases, seem to get price drops within a reasonable time frame.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

My partner got me a 3DSXL a handful of months ago so I could play Pokemon X when it came out. Since getting it, it's pretty much been little more than a paper weight with a fairly decent camera built into it. Aside from Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Pokemon X/Y, I can't say any of the other currently available 3DS games are of great interest to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 3DS's camera(s) are kind of crappy.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    The 3DS's camera(s) are kind of crappy.
    Depends, really. If you don't have a 3D camera and want/need one, the 3DS is the cheapest one available (the last time I checked, that is, might be different now). For my purposes, I've only used it a few times to take pictures of small items that my normal camera couldn't do well, as the camera automatically cuts out glare and can zoom in without dropping definition.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The 3DS is the best choice for a portable this gen, especially if you don't have a DS. Don't let the fanboys fool you though, as there's not too many retail games worth getting. Sure there's less on the Vita if you own or plan on getting a PS3 and like getting the console versions and not portable, but that doesn't make the 3DS number magically increase.

Here are the 3DS games I'll recommend as well as some DS games, though I'd suggest looking into the DS more because there's a ton of great games you can play.

There's Shin Megami Tensei 4, Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey 4, and the Etrian Odyssey remake. I wouldn't recommend both Etrian Odyssey games as I've heard there's not much of a difference in gameplay between games and there's practically no story. There's also Super Mario 3D Land, Shinobi, Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate, Cave Story 3D, and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy.

For the DS. Advance Wars Dual Strike, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Contact, Contra 4, DBZ Attack of the Saiyans, Dragon Quest 4-6, Feel the Magic, Rub Rabbits, Jump Ultimate Stars, Retro Game Challenge, etc.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    Okay, so basically I've been on the fence for the longest time as to buying a 3DS because I don't own any current generation video game system and am basically a hardcore retro gamer. I've been toying with getting a 3DS because I haven't owned a handheld gaming system since the release of the NES themed GBA (in which I have 14 games) and I'm thinking it's time to go out and finally grab a 3DS and see what all the hubbub is about. I know the system has started selling like hotcakes last year and a stream of great games are on the way, but as of right now what are the hot games on the system and what are some of the systems best games? Mainly I enjoy Nintendo's first party stuff like Mario and Zelda and I also enjoy first person shooters and sometimes a good RPG or two, I mainly avoid Pokemon and other similar style games.

I pretty much know I'll be getting Super Mario 3D Land due to the game looking absolutely amazing, and I'll be getting A Link Between Worlds when it comes out, but what else is there to own or are all the great games currently on their way? I'd love to hear all of your input on this.
    Might wanna consider the 2DS.

Dirt cheap
    Comfortable in adult hands
    No annoying, headache inducing 3D, which means longer battery life

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Might wanna consider the 2DS.

Dirt cheap
    Comfortable in adult hands
    No annoying, headache inducing 3D, which means longer battery life
    Reminds me I forgot to mention the 3DS XL.

Don't get the original 3DS. Extremely uncomfortable to play longer than 30 minutes. The screen pretty much goes over half of the rest area for your index fingers and to hit L and R you'll push up against the back of the screen which is an annoyance. The start and select buttons you have to press hard to get them to respond. The system is also uncomfortable when playing.

The 3DS XL fixes all the problems. Ample room to rest your fingers on the L and R without the screen touching them while flipped up. The start and select buttons have been changed and work well. There's also the bigger screen which is nice.

I'm not against the 2DS, but even if it's more comfortable, it's not an XL and doesn't have the 40% larger screen.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm definitely on the 3DSXL bandwagon myself. I find it very comfortable, and its larger screens look great and don't hurt the Stereoscopic 3D (which I love, and has never caused me a headache in my time playing it. And I sometimes play for hours at a time*). Its shoulder buttons are a little awkward, but I've never found them to impact my gameplay.

*and if it does bother you, just turn it off. Its not like the 2DS has a monopoly on 2D
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 10-16-2013 at 11:51 PM.