Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone purchase a 2DS as of yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wish we had gotten a 2DSXL. I like the form factor, the absence of hinges, and the removal of unused 3D capabilities.

But what I don't like is the smaller screen.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Makes me question people's eyesight when they say 3d goes unused. Stayed on for me. Looks way more sharper and crisp. Shit looks ugly and filtered with 3d off.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Makes me question people's eyesight when they say 3d goes unused. Stayed on for me. Looks way more sharper and crisp. Shit looks ugly and filtered with 3d off.
    I've noticed that with 3D on, jaggies become more noticeable (probably why you think it looks sharper and crisp) and that the color temperature becomes warmer (probably why you correctly think it looks like shit without 3D). Personally I like the 3D, but if I didn't care for it I would probably keep it turned on at its lowest level just so the screen can be at a reasonable temperature.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Then your eyesight must be better than mine.
    I played with 3D on (on my original 3DS) for only a few minutes because it was hard for me to keep straight focus on the screen. Unless you can get a look at a good angle and keep it there, it becomes distorted and blurry.
    I also got a Japanese New 3DS (mostly because I just wanted a Japanese system due to stupid region-locking) and I'll say it is a FAR better screen and I can leave 3D on without it becoming a headache. Definitely what Nintendo should've released in the first place. (though it sucks there's only a couple games exclusive to it. If I had bought for the "exclusive new games" claim, I'd have been disappointed probably.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a lazy eye that wasn't caught in time to correct during childhood with an eye patch, so it simply doesn't work for me due to being legally blind in one eye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kind of have to agree with Fiery there on 3D on vs off, it does have that appearance to it. I've got the 3DSXL and I wouldn't trade the 2DS for it. I've seen it in action, it's solid, but given the price versus what it has removed it's really not worth it unless you're a kid with developing eyes, bad visions in 1/2 eyes, or like Leo there, legally blind in one. If you can't pull off stereo vision properly in real life the system is worthless in that respect.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

A few days ago I wandered into a Gamestop for the first time in ages. Saw a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles 3D for 3DS and noticed that it's apparently only compatible with the New 3DS consoles. So I guess you need the newest version of the console for full compatibility with all games, or at least the better games worth playing.

I'm a bit puzzled by this as I thought the whole point of using consoles was to avoid PC type requirement issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's the only New 3DS exclusive. And as things stand now, it sure looks like it's going to be the last. The only other exclusive use for the New 3DS are a handful of other titles with some optional support for the integrated right analog stick.

The DSi situation was actually the same the last time around, so this is nothing new. None of its exclusives were anything noteworthy though so few were ever aware that they even existed. Then it also had a fair number of titles with optional support for the DSi hardware, which were labeled as "DSi Enhanced". Sonic Classics Collection is perhaps the most well known example of such a game with this one offering improved performance when played on a DSi or 3DS.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-25-2015 at 12:35 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I've noticed that with 3D on, jaggies become more noticeable (probably why you think it looks sharper and crisp) and that the color temperature becomes warmer (probably why you correctly think it looks like shit without 3D). Personally I like the 3D, but if I didn't care for it I would probably keep it turned on at its lowest level just so the screen can be at a reasonable temperature.
    There are a lot of games that do the 3D effect really cheap by adding lines into the borders of the characters to make it look 3dish, but it's really cheap 3D(Tales of the Abyss, Pokemon X, and Resident Evil Revelations for example.) So it's not really true 3D and it introduces a lot of jaggies. There are some games though that it does look like the games are graphically enhanced and are much clearer, similar to going from SD to HD.

For those who really like the 3D feature of the 3DS, Castlevania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate has by far the best implementation of it. When playing it on my 3DS XL, before getting the New 3DS XL, it's actually the one game I kept 3D as much as possible. The game is a 2.5D game with massively detailed backgrounds and the 3D has depth to it. The only part in the game where the 3D is intrusive and hurts your eyes even when using the 3d properly is the screw up with the water. The whole moving sort of diamondish looking way that games make water look? Well, they've not only included it on the top layer of the water, but also the layer that is towards the screen and strains the eyes a bit when it's in 3D and you're underwater(only two larger sections where you're underwater though, but in comparison to the entire games length, it's nothing.) When I purchased my New 3DS and have replayed the game through a little over two chapters, I've often found myself walking instead of running so I could admire how well the 3D was done.

Shin Megami Tensei 4, Dead or Alive Dimensions, and Bravely Default also do the 3D well. Super Mario 3D Land does it decently, but not quite to the levels of these others. There are a lot of games that just do it really poorly though.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Resi: Revelations looked quite stunning in 3d. Best looking game I've played on the thing. All this jaggie talk makes no sense, it's worse when it's off.

Best 3d game? Nano Assault EX. Those tunnel/3rd person levels are like tiny rollercoaster rides. Shit just popped out the screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not sure what you mean about lines in it, but I have that Resident Evil game and I've don't remember that. The fact they found a way to so well convert that MT engine tech to the 3DS and pull of what still is probably the best looking game (or top 5 at least) in 2D or 3D I think you're confused. Sure there are some jaggy looking things here and there, some by intention, other from just not having a good engine, but I wouldn't put RE into that.

I do agree though that SMT4, DOAD, and Bravely Default did it well along with Castlevania. It's more subtle, but the Pinball Hall of Fame looks stunning in 3D, it's more like viewing a real table than the usual flat style on pc/tablet/console and I should know it has Pinbot and I own the table.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    That's the only New 3DS exclusive. And as things stand now, it sure looks like it's going to be the last. The only other exclusive use for the New 3DS are a handful of other titles with some optional support for the integrated right analog stick.
    The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth will be New 3DS exclusive. (It might seem a bit pointless, but the developer is rather pleased with the port; apparently having the minimap on a separate screen is pretty handy.)

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is kind of neat in 3D, but I can't really recommend the game. (Some of the attacks that use the gyro even let you toggle the 3D off before using them, since 3D doesn't work very well if you're tilting the 3DS every which way.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The Binding of Isaac is an eShop-only game, isn't it?
    It's looking like Xenoblade will be the only retail exclusive.

Which would be worse than DSi which ended up with only 4 retail-exclusive games (though all DSiWare was exclusive, over DS/DSL. Though 3DS can download and play all of them except a couple games that seem to have had licensing issues.)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Resi: Revelations looked quite stunning in 3d. Best looking game I've played on the thing. All this jaggie talk makes no sense, it's worse when it's off.

Best 3d game? Nano Assault EX. Those tunnel/3rd person levels are like tiny rollercoaster rides. Shit just popped out the screen.
    The game didn't look 3D, it didn't have any depth to it, they added these extra lines around objects and characters to appear to have depth to it though but it was just a cheap way of doing it. Although I only played the demo so maybe it was just that. Never played the full game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've never played the RER demo, perhaps they bungled it some?

It is sad if Xenoblade is the only physical reason to exclusively have the New 3DS game wise, pathetic really. That Binding of Issac game that came out a month ago with a bundle of bugs which I think got patched out pretty recently and it is for New 3DS systems.

I guess I'd be annoyed by the purchase but I traded out what I had (XL) and ended up only eating $60 on the thing. The fact that I have circle pad games it can tap into, the far faster loading of the system/apps and some games that see it, the comfort, and finally having stable 3D so I just keep it on still made it worthy. I would not blame anyone being ticked off if they dropped full price and Nintendo pulled this on them with no releases.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

wow thanks for the tip on the nintendo refurbs! Not sure which of the two I will get but for double the price (130) the 3DS gets you 3d and possibly a limited edition design so not bad