Thread: NTSC or PAL NES on a modern LCD TV

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NTSC or PAL NES on a modern LCD TV

I'm hoping to get my friend in Denmark a NES for his birthday. He wants the original Castlevania since it was his first video game. I know that Denmark is a PAL country, and Ive started looking up prices, which so far it's going to be a bit expensive to buy a PAL NES and the PAL version of Castlevania, however I will do it if I have to.

But if I don't I have a question, I've heard on modern TV's LCD/LED that they will accept both NTSC and PAL analogue signals anywhere around the world. So a PAL LCD/LED in Denamrk should be able to accept a NTSC console via composite video correct?

I just need a PAL AC adapter which by the way where do I get one of those for Denmark are they all the same for Europe based on voltage?

I know it wont work with RF since that's a whole different system, but AV is better anyway.

So that's my question, should I buy the PAL NES with the PAL version of the game and a PAL AC adapter or can I just get the NTSC NES with the NSTC version of the game and the Demark AC adapter.

Thanks!
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    I've heard on modern TV's LCD/LED that they will accept both NTSC and PAL analogue signals anywhere around the world. So a PAL LCD/LED in Denamrk should be able to accept a NTSC console via composite video correct?
    Probably, but I'd ask your friend what model he has and look up the specs.

Another caveat: some LCD TVs don't handle the 240p signal older consoles put out very well. It may be recognizable but look bad.

But TFTs are not my area of expertise. I usually use CRTs for gaming. Power supplies I know a bit more about...

I just need a PAL AC adapter which by the way where do I get one of those for Denmark are they all the same for Europe based on voltage?
    There is no such thing as a "PAL AC adaptor". Most of Europe is something like 240V but the plug style may be different between countries. Wikipedia has a very detailed article about that very subject. As long as the plugs fit the Danish outlets and the transformer takes ~240VAC and puts out 9 or 10 V (AC or DC) it should work. US adaptor is NOT safe to use, even with a plug converter.

Where to find one? If your research shows UK adaptors are compatible with Danish ones, I'd try eBay UK. If UK adaptors don't match Danish outlets a converter might do the trick.

can I just get the NTSC NES with the NSTC version of the game and the Demark AC adapter.
    I'm pretty sure that would work, assuming the PAL NES is also 9VAC. The 50/60Hz AC difference probably won't matter to the rectifier circuit. It all gets converted to 5V DC by the 7805 in the end anyway.

It doesn't even have to be an AC/AC adaptor. AC/DC also works. The rectifier just passes the DC along to the regulator. I've tried it myself.

So an NTSC system should work as long as you can find a politically correct adaptor. And as long as the display can accept the NTSC signal the NES puts out.

Of course you're taking some random internet guy's opinion about the subject. It'd be nice if someone came along and said "This is consistent with my experince importing NTSC NES consoles to Denmark". Alas...

okay, okay, I'll go away now.