Thread: Who else here is using the 3DS as their ONLY next generation console?

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Who else here is using the 3DS as their ONLY next generation console?

I'll be honest. I don't plan on getting an XboxOne, PS4, or Nintendo Wii U. My sole current generation console is going to be the 3DS and this is something that is not new to me since the GBA was my only console during the height of the PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox in the early to mid 2000's. It's the only console that has me checking news and reviews as well as feeling childlike excitement for upcoming games. I really feel like a kid again during the NES/SNES era of gaming when the "wonder" and "excitement" was there.

Anyone else here in the same boat? Anyone here strictly gaming on a 3DS and nothing else? Let's hear what Nintendo Life members have to say!
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Don't have a 3DS i'm just not a big fan of handhelds.For the next gen i hope to pickup a wii u sooner or later,then later on a PS4.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Already have a 3DS and Vita, so no, not using only the 3DS. I'm also getting a PS4 and a Wii U.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I hardly use my 3DS and few of the games interest me, so I'll probably get getting a PS4 (down the road).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

For a while it will be my only next gen system, but someday I'll probably get all the rest. Xbox being last in line because it's just my least favorite brand.

3DS will give me fresh new classic-like experiences when a must-have game comes out while I work on games for older systems first.

Actually I think I'll do this:

Get a Wii U when I beat all my Wii games

Get a PS4 when I beat all my PS3 games

Get an Xbox One when I beat all my Xbox 360 games

Get a PS Vita when I beat all my digital PSP games, as I sold all my hard copies for that system.

Unless of course I end up getting a job that gives me lots of hours and I can afford to buy anything I want. If that ever happens a new PC or a Mac is coming first.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I have a 3DS XL and love it. Cant wait for the new Zelda. Not in any hurry to buy a Xbox One, or PS4. I will get a next gen system, but not for a year or so till all the bugs are worked out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same boat. I'm finding the 3DS's strong library and low cost a fantastic alternative to owning a PS3 or 360.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is an interesting topic actually. There must be a lot of people in the same boat (information courtesy of trap15):

Total Sales for Gen 7 Consoles
    Wii: 52.62 million
    X360: 31.5 million
    PS3: 23.8 million

See? 52 million is bigger than 31 million. The Wii sold more. The Wii was more successful. Do you follow?

Total Sales for Gen 7 Handhelds
    DS: 107.75 million
    PSP: 53.39 million

See? 107 million is bigger than 53 million. The DS vastly sold more. The DS was more successful. Do you follow?

Total Sales for Gen 8 Handhelds
    3DS: 35.16 million
    PSV: 5.9 million
    I'll let you guys do that last comparison. It might be premature to compare 3DS sales at this point. Personally I haven't felt they've differentiated it enough from the previous DS to make the case for an upgrade, and mainly I haven't felt that the software support was there. But that could change. Vita has obviously been handicapped by its software support issue.

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the 3ds and play it every day. I already have a wii u, so i cant say that i will be only 3ds, but I can play on these two until ps4 comes down to $300-250 or so. Infamous is the only thing next gen that interests me right now and that is not out till 2014.

I am expecting to get a ps4 in 2015 or 2016.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

At the moment, yeah. I'll probably get a Vita sooner or later if things keep improving with it, although I have no plans or desire to get a Wii U, One, or PS4 in the immediate future. I still don't even have a PS3 (even if I have picked up a couple games for it), so I can wait a LONG time if nothing strongly catches my interest. And for some time now, only the handhelds have been doing so. Even though I have a Wii and 360, they've barely been touched, especially in comparison to how much I've played DS and PSP.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

All I'm using now is 3DS, but I'm sure I'll get something else eventually. Call me crazy, but I'll probably get a Wii U this Christmas season if I have the $$$ and find a good deal.

Doubt I'll be able to swing a PS4 for a year or more, and I currently have no desire at all to be Xboned.

World Class Internet User Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was, and will for a while still.

I plan on getting a Wii U next year because of Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8.
    Last edited by Metalwario64; 10-23-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    I'll be honest. I don't plan on getting an XboxOne, PS4, or Nintendo Wii U. My sole current generation console is going to be the 3DS and this is something that is not new to me since the GBA was my only console during the height of the PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox in the early to mid 2000's. It's the only console that has me checking news and reviews as well as feeling childlike excitement for upcoming games. I really feel like a kid again during the NES/SNES era of gaming when the "wonder" and "excitement" was there.

Anyone else here in the same boat? Anyone here strictly gaming on a 3DS and nothing else? Let's hear what Nintendo Life members have to say!
    You know, with the outrageous plethora of games available from all generations, I almost want to say there's no point in getting any of the next gen consoles for several years. When you look at the previews, there's not a giant amount being offered for $300-$500.

Sticking with previous gen games also comes with the advantage that you can find tons of cheap games, both new and used. I'm in the same boat here, but I'm sticking with an old psp 3000 instead of a 3DS. Good times.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    This is an interesting topic actually. There must be a lot of people in the same boat (information courtesy of trap15):

I'll let you guys do that last comparison. It might be premature to compare 3DS sales at this point. Personally I haven't felt they've differentiated it enough from the previous DS to make the case for an upgrade, and mainly I haven't felt that the software support was there. But that could change. Vita has obviously been handicapped by its software support issue.
    What I'm amazed to see is that the PSP has even outsold the Wii and other consoles, let alone the DS which has even larger sales than it. It just goes to show more people are doing their gaming on handheld devices these days because handhelds with backlights have gotten to the point where they offer an experience that is good enough. With that stated I think it is pretty obvious a lot of people are going to exclusively game on the 3DS like the OP.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]