Thread: PS2 and the new Gen

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Default PS2 and the new Gen

so I have to ask...forum related.

the new generation is coming out and I cant help notice that Modern gaming says:

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Press Modern
    From PlayStation 2 to present! Discuss the latest classics, the hottest new gaming technology, the latest direction of your favorite developer, or your thoughts on the latest adventure titles! As we always say: it doesn't have to be OLD to be CLASSIC.
    with PS3 currently out and PS4 coming out Nov 15th is there going to be a shift...
    say PS2 not being modern any more to being classic and the new modern forum sub text with one minor change to say

Quote Originally Posted by NikuSama
    From PlayStation 3 to present! Discuss the latest classics, the hottest new gaming technology, the latest direction of your favorite developer, or your thoughts on the latest adventure titles! As we always say: it doesn't have to be OLD to be CLASSIC.
    around Nov 15th?
    what do the users here think...

is it time for PS2 to be classic?

no poll just want to hear yays or nays and possibly why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I think it's time to put PS2 in the "classic" category now that the new generation is coming. The final game for the system is also coming out soon(PES 2014), though it doesn't have an exact release date yet as far as I know. But I read that the PS2 version of it would come out a bit later than the versions for other systems.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yep, PS2 cannot be considered modern gaming anymore. Either send it to the classic section, or create a new category that's "in between."

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

I guess it all depends on how you want to define "modern." I would set the line at around 10 years, in terms of a console's inception. PS2 hit the shelves in 2000, whereas PS3 debuted in 2006. So I would agree that perhaps it's time to hang the PS2 jersey up in the rafters and move it to the classic section.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Honestly, who still considers the PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox, and GameCube "current" consoles? Even the Wii and DS aren't selling new anymore. The conception of "current gen" hasn't changed in the whole time I've had my account here.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Yeah to kids these days if anything has a wired controller as the only pack-in option with a system it is generally considered classic by them. The Gamecube has already become a grandfather and kind of already is classic as is the Game Boy Advance.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

Yeah, retire the PS2. Long live the king.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I would be in favor of this, in addition to moving GCN and Xbox to the Classic board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

see if this post works, formatting is all sorts of messed up for the boards tonite.

any way so far it seems pretty unanimous, if a mod wanders in maybe it'll help the cause, I suggest changing it ON the 15th of November though. just for technicalitys sake

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    see if this post works, formatting is all sorts of messed up for the boards tonite.

any way so far it seems pretty unanimous, if a mod wanders in maybe it'll help the cause, I suggest changing it ON the 15th of November though. just for technicalitys sake
    I still thought it should have been changed on the Wii U's launch date. But I guess PS4 is close enough to having almost all the previous systems replaced instead of just one and the handhelds.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i'm thinking its the middle point, hand helds hold a different time frame to home systems.

their cycles is way different and theres only like 2 on top of that.

needs more variety honestly....

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

As for the organization of these message boards, Classic is for consoles released before the year 2000 while Modern is for consoles released in 2000 or later. Think of it as the distinction between B.C. and A.D. (or for you more contemporary types, the difference between B.C.E. and C.E.).

This split on the year 2000 is to keep maintenance easy and hassle-free. After all, if we kept Modern Gaming as a moving target, every few years we'd have to redo things either by moving thousands of threads or creating a new sub-forum for the latest stuff. As you might imagine, it would start looking like five different forums with the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, 2000's, and 2010's each having their own forum... and eventually we'd need to add a sixth.

But to keep it simple, we split the difference on 2000 A.D. Think of it as, "Classic Gaming covers the first thirty years of consoles and Modern Gaming covers everything after that."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lulz........the PS2 IS classic,mate.
    It's a legacy platform.
    It's retro by now.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DiEsmitty
    PSN
    DiEsmitty

If you can walk into game stop and buy a game for it, its not a classic. The only remotely retro feature about a PS2 would be the external memory i.e. memory card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Technology advances quickly. Anyone who doesn't consider the PS2 retro by this point is simply an adult gamer who doesn't want to admit to getting older themselves.

It's time for Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox and GameCube, and GameBoy Advance to be moved to the Classic Gaming Section.

Perhaps we should have a vote?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just bought a new PS2 last year at a local Wal-Mart and I still see new PS2 software and accessories at retailers that carry videogames. So I think that there's a fair argument for it not being classic gaming just yet.

It's still for a few more weeks Sony's last gen console hardware and not everyone subscribes to the thought that two generations out of date means it's automatically classified as such.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Just a question: would anyone in 2004/early 2005 have argued that the SNES wasn't a "retro" system? It was the same age as the PS2 is now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think there was room to argue it since you could even still find the stray Majesco reprint here and there back then at major retailers and the Super Famicom had just recently been discontinued and the SuperNes hadn't been dead very long at that point (70,000 systems were sold in the US alone as recently as 2001).

But I'm not sure that's entirely a fair comparison thanks to the 3D transition that happened with the generation after the SuperNes and 2004/2005 was nearly two full generations after the Super Nintendo had been Nintendo's premier home console. The Nintendo 64 had came and gone and the GameCube had nearly ran out of steam.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-11-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I just bought a new PS2 last year at a local Wal-Mart and I still see new PS2 software and accessories at retailers that carry videogames. So I think that there's a fair argument for it not being classic gaming just yet.

It's still for a few more weeks Sony's last gen console hardware and not everyone subscribes to the thought that two generations out of date means it's automatically classified as such.
    I don't buy the "if a retailer still sells it, it isn't retro" argument. There's a game store in Toronto that I recently visited that sells new old-stock N64s and PS1's, even brand new shrink wrapped NES games.

Does that mean the N64, PS1 and NES aren't classic gaming systems just because they can still be found brand new?

I don't mean to sound insulting, but that very notion that the PS2 is not retro because it is sold in some stores is baffling to me.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't buy it either since nothing would be classic gaming then. But where mainstream retailers are concerned, it most certainly is a factor and hardly something to be confused about. You must realize that's what I meant and that I surely wasn't inferring that a system couldn't be viewed as a classic just because there were still brand new items available for it at something like an independent gaming store or up on eBay. Not sure why you decided to be difficult about that by twisting that around.

I can go to my local Wal-Right right now and buy brand new Dual Shock 2's, brand new 1st party memory cards, and a small variety of PS2 software that's still sticking around (Not to mention brand new games are still being released although they seem to largely be online exclusives around the world). Some of you folks were ready years ago even when new PS2's were everywhere and games were regularly coming out.

If that's not modern gaming, just what is? To me, classic gaming is when all but a select few have left the console behind and mainstream retailers and the manufacturers have ceased any sort of support since there simply isn't a customer base left to justify it any longer. That makes far more sense than an arbitrary standard that if it's two generations out of date then it's classic gaming. It's far too subjective a subject for that sort of a standard I think and not every system from the same generation experiences the same lifespan. And when there's signs it's not even completely dead commercially, I certainly think that here's a bit of room for debate.

That said, I'd be comfortable shifting related discussion at this point to the classic gaming forum. I just don't think that it's un-debatable that it's not still modern gaming.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-27-2015 at 01:22 AM.